Warning on chain cleaning

I have almost 50,000 mi. on my motorcycle chain that is never "cleaned".. I use maxima chain wax on it about every 300mi. and wipe off any excess after applying.. Of course a mtc chain is a different animal since it has sealed o-rings and the 530 size is pretty stout, it needs to be as it's transmitting 130 hp to the rear wheel. I use the same lube on my bicycle chains and plan to do the same with our future purchase of two ebikes. I don't like hearing stories of having to replace chains and sprockets frequently but it is what it is

The PB Blaster chain/cable lube led to a black chain. Now that it's clean, White Lightening wax lube seems to keep things a bit nicer.

I always soak all my chains in a big ol tub of solvent, then pour it down the kitchen sink when done ;) Just kidding!
Another argument for just a lube now and again or heck, Tom899's idea of just swapping it every so often. Honestly I do use a drip on lubricant and some of my kids bike chains have gotten pretty bad from time to time but a little lube and they perk right up. I do also think dripping it on with a rag behind can help get between the joints as Deleted Member 4210 points out. Just my two cents.

cleaning with a rag to just 'wipe', and just using some lubricant or degreaser, will do nothing to eliminate the dirt that gets into the areas where erosion will occur. If you carefully spray a sufficient amount, or preferably 'soak' that section of the chain, while putting a rag behind (if not soaking), you have a decent chance of getting the dirt out from in between the links and pins. Soaking is best in a solvent based solution that wont cause rust. If you just lubricate you are creating nice little 'paste' that will combine with the grit, to help wear the pin contact points, and connections down a little faster. a dry lube, that goes on wet, but then dries like a 'wax' will likely be a good bet for real dusty conditions, such a desert or gravel/lime trail that hasn't been wet in a while. It helps repel, or at least not attract, as much dirt to stick on the chain and in those areas of contact as would a wet lube. You also need to consider its not just the chain, but the derailleur cogs and cassette that will wear down too. Or you can just be lazy, ignore it, and replace a chain whenever, and cassette or derailleur. These days, we live largely in a society of 'throwaway' and 'convenience' and doing maintenance on anything seems to be an 'old fashioned' approach to life, for many people who just want to 'click and buy' or use a 'remote' for everything they do. I see people literally 'cringe' or 'wince' when you tell them that 'yes, you should occasionally clean the chain.' You'd think you were asking them to clean out a septic tank. lol.

I just upgraded my chainring to a 52 and discovered a brand new chain that I beleive to be at least as good as the OEM is $9 on amazon. I no longer worry so much about carefully cleaning and lubricating. I just wipe it off and hit it with dry lube. If it dies it is $9??? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003AFOV84/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just upgraded my chainring to a 52 and discovered a brand new chain that I beleive to be at least as good as the OEM is $9 on amazon. I no longer worry so much about carefully cleaning and lubricating. I just wipe it off and hit it with dry lube. If it dies it is $9??? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003AFOV84/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Can the Z7 chain be used with an 8 speed? The prices really jump when they get up to the 9, 10, and 11 speeds, I wonder why as they're smaller (narrower). Thanks

Back