Wanted volunteers: Tributes for Custom Quiet Gears for Ultra

I am happy with the ultra and archon, the smooth pas with the archon is way more important to me than how loud
would i pay 300-400 to make the motor quieter? Maybe...

i dont really notice the noise, but am running off road tires etc
and i am moving slower than a lot of others so maybe my bike is quieter because it is not pulling a lot of power

if you could drop 5lbs off the motor THAT would interest me lol

As I've had both knobby and smooth pavement tires on mine, and spend way more time with it on road as compared to off, I can vouch for the fact is much more obvious with pavement tires, speeds over maybe 10mph, and pulling in excess of 100-150w.

Is it less decibels than the stock controller to your ears?
Not really. Maybe I'm similar to Vincent's position. I don't push it hard. And the few times I've done speed runs just to test it out the wind in my ears was most of what I could hear. :oops:

EDIT: Thinking back I remember another sound. My heart trying to jump out of my chest. :eek:

Last edited:
I understand the apprehension of the testing aprt.

I am curious. Other than the controller, what is the improvement needed on the ultra ? Noise is somewhat of an issue - but not a lot looks like. Is that the general consensus ?
It's my consensus anyway. 👍

This is getting less support than I thought it would, kind of sad.:(
Why would this surprise you? It’s one thing to ask folks to test something, quite another to expect people to spend that kind of money and possibly screw their warranties up? Especially now when getting fixes/replacements is a very long-term issue.

Here is a video of the Sondors Rockstar with an Ultra to give you a good idea of motor noise mixed in with typical road/tire noise.

IMO this could make less noise. In fact one comment from the video
"I absolutely Love mine, a little noisier in the motor than I anticipated or certainly care for. I have other Bafangs that are much quitter, but still LOVE MY NOVA ROCKSTAR !!!!!!!"

A Tesla over took me the other week and bike was considerably more louder than the Tesla :oops:

All I could hear from the Tesla was tyre noise... While my bike can turn heads at a much greater distance due to the whine it makes...

Definitely could be a better..

To be honest, I wonder how much of the noise is being amplified through the frame. Maybe a better mount - or some way of adding rubber sound deadening material would help to reduce the noise too.

These motors are the proverbial box of chocolates with regard to noise. I have two ultra‘s from Frey and neither of them is anything close to as loud as that bike. I would want to check the grease level inside that one. But then there is the problem of not being able to source gaskets.

Before any solution oriented person gives up on this conversation it would be instructive to find out if one could pay for a "quiet upgrade" when buying a bike. How much would one be willing to pay.

I rode a Scott mountain bike a few weeks ago when looking for something I could buy and ride now. It had a 350w mid drive. That was pretty quiet. The Sondors MXS that I ended up getting (750w hub) is louder but not really bad.

If a $$$ magic pill could make my MXS as quiet as that Scott I would pay a few hundred dollar premium to feel better as I pass hikers etc on trails.

These motors are the proverbial box of chocolates with regard to noise. I have two ultra‘s from Frey and neither of them is anything close to as loud as that bike. I would want to check the grease level inside that one. But then there is the problem of not being able to source gaskets.

If you can source one OEM type gasket in good shape I'll bet there are gasket companies that will put them out by the gross for you, including with your branding on it if you wish.

Before any solution oriented person gives up on this conversation it would be instructive to find out if one could pay for a "quiet upgrade" when buying a bike. How much would one be willing to pay.

I rode a Scott mountain bike a few weeks ago when looking for something I could buy and ride now. It had a 350w mid drive. That was pretty quiet. The Sondors MXS that I ended up getting (750w hub) is louder but not really bad.

If a $$$ magic pill could make my MXS as quiet as that Scott I would pay a few hundred dollar premium to feel better as I pass hikers etc on trails.
My Sondors Fold XS has the same motor as the MXS, but yours has more power because it has a different controller, it's not too bad, I changed tires from the stock 4" knobbies to Vee and now that the tire hum is gone I can really hear the motor. I believe if you chose to run with a tire that gets rid of the loud road hum that is common with the basic MTB knobby tires, motor noise is more of a variable, I know that is my experience.

Back