Wanted volunteers: Tributes for Custom Quiet Gears for Ultra

If you can source one OEM type gasket in good shape I'll bet there are gasket companies that will put them out by the gross for you, including with your branding on it if you wish.

C'mon Man!
I was getting ready to sell gaskets to all the gear noise sensitive and pay for my next bike.
I figured if they are willing to pay $$$ for the gears... I can easily sell them gaskets for $99.99

You betcha ! I've been trying to turn it into oatmeal for over three years. No luck.
Your testimony is the best I have heard for the justification of this project......you are running a near silent Ebike with that gear and those tires.
Can you post a picture so people can see again?

Go to 2:10 for the sound of a Sondors Rockstar. That has been my impression of them from snippets of sound I would hear on videos. THAT I would pay a $500 premium to not have present on an ebike.

In contrast to that I rode one of PedalUma's ebike conversions today. What a pleasure to not even be able to perceive the sound of the motor. And as apposed to my Sondors MXS to not have my senses jarred as the motor came in to assist was pure joy. To wonder if I am really that strong and swift on this bike...or is the motor helping right now....?

In contrast to that I rode one of PedalUma's ebike conversions today. What a pleasure to not even be able to perceive the sound of the motor.

PedalUma is definitely in a class of his own... Some really pretty and well done bicycles.
Do you know what motor was on the bike you rode?

The video posted is a little unfair as microphone pick up can be very deceiving. It's placement right next to the motor which can amplify it's sound while possibly muting surrounding sound.
That said.. From other Ultra videos I've seen with the camera placed on the bars or rider... The motor noise is definitely present.

Last edited:

Attachments

• _DSC1779.jpeg
    _DSC1779.jpeg
    392.8 KB · Views: 213
PedalUma is definitely in a class of his own... Some really pretty and well done bicycles.
Do you know what motor was on the bike you rode?

The video posted is a little unfair as microphone pick up can be very deceiving. It's placement right next to the motor which can amplify it's sound while possibly muting surrounding sound.
That said.. From other Ultra videos I've seen with the camera placed on the bars or rider... The motor noise is definitely present.

Ahh, good point. I didn't think of the dynamic of mic placement.

Gionnirocket no I don't know what motor on bike he was kind enough to let me ride.
I would assume it was a 36v TSDZ2 like the bike builds he has posted about before, I have a 36v version that I used on a couple bikes and it is so quiet it is difficult to tell if it is running or not, I also have a 48v 750w version that is noticeably louder and doesn't seem much, if any, more powerful. To each his own but I wouldn't even consider a bike assist motor as loud as the Bafang Ultra sounds on any of these videos. It would be interesting if a laser directed decibel meter was used for these sound comparisons.

Go to 2:10 for the sound of a Sondors Rockstar. That has been my impression of them from snippets of sound I would hear on videos. THAT I would pay a $500 premium to not have present on an ebike.

In contrast to that I rode one of PedalUma's ebike conversions today. What a pleasure to not even be able to perceive the sound of the motor. And as apposed to my Sondors MXS to not have my senses jarred as the motor came in to assist was pure joy. To wonder if I am really that strong and swift on this bike...or is the motor helping right now....?
Unacceptable.

Unacceptable.
I think that might depend on your options. I actually like the motor and the bike. Given a quieter option that was within reason, I'd take it in a heart beat.

With no option, I'm good. There's enough upside with this motor to make it tolerable as is. It's just frustrating to know Bafang had it right when they brought it out, only to have it changed by "expert" opinions....

It's just frustrating to know Bafang had it right when they brought it out, only to have it changed by "expert" opinions....
You should give up the grudge, it is not good for your health :)
Bafang decided it was worth for them to have a steel gear, and decided it was not worth supporting both nylon and steel.

I can understand that you are frustrated with the later, but ultimately that was Bafang decision.
Have you contacted Bafang directly to see if they would sell you one?

Back