Wanted volunteers: Tributes for Custom Quiet Gears for Ultra

I think I'm in on this too @pushkar - given I was going with restricted throttle anyways so I didn't do something stupid, and based on feedback that I 'should' never need more than absolute wattages you reference. I still don't understand the difference tbh, but I know I don't want a loud motor.

Can folks please help me understand what I would be losing in terms of performance doing this? Is it just max speed as @Gionnirocket alludes to? If that's the case, I'm 100% in on this (I don't need to hit 35mph uphill), and happy to pay extra for quiet.

You would be limited to 1900W in pedal assist and 1000W on throttle.
This is a power limitation, so it will affect both max speed and how fast the bike picked up speed when you press on the pedal or when you twist the throttle.

You will only "loose" something if you are using more than 1000W on the throttle, and if you are using a 2300W version of the X1 AND are using high pedal assist modes that actually pull that much.

I am riding. 2300 watt UC. I would bet if tested 2 bikes before buying, 1 what I have and 1 with quieter gears and less power I would choose the quiet version with less power, this thing as is is over kill. On the other hand I am not bothered by the noise it makes as is but I have not heard the quiet version.

i really don’t need to do 35 much less 45 (that I did yesterday) . I bet this “slow” version is still in the 30s

that the being said since I am ok with what I have I doubt I would trade after having the higher power, it would have to be pretty quiet, power is intoxicating :) :)

Thank you for the feedback @scrambler and @opimax - I don't imagine I'll really miss the 400w of pedal assist, and restricted throttle afaik is at 750w anyways.
Unless someone calls out a critical data point I'm missing, I'm sold on this quieter and less powerful option.

Thank you for the feedback @scrambler and @opimax - I don't imagine I'll really miss the 400w of pedal assist, and restricted throttle afaik is at 750w anyways.
Unless someone calls out a critical data point I'm missing, I'm sold on this quieter and less powerful option.
On the bold, I believe the "less powerful option" part of your thought is questionable. If you are using every bit of power Bafang advertises the Ultra to have, you'll still be using less than what Pushkar believes this new gear is capable of. That suits me fine. I consider the stock Ultra as already over the top as it is.

It's the power junkies that NEVER have enough that need the heavy duty parts....

@pushkar within the power limitations, how much quieter is this gear for the Ultra w/X1? I'm trying to decide whether is this a viable option for me.

I dont hear that much sound (may be it's my loss of hearing due to loud music, lol). So, for me personally, this is a nice to have. I am not super picky, and as I have mentioned multiple times before .. I am lazy.. i want to do the bare minimum to keep my bike quiet / riding condition.

Clearly, that has shown itself in the development of this gear. It has been lagging since there is not a lot of motivation on my part. :)

On the bold, I believe the "less powerful option" part of your thought is questionable. If you are using every bit of power Bafang advertises the Ultra to have, you'll still be using less than what Pushkar believes this new gear is capable of. That suits me fine. I consider the stock Ultra as already over the top as it is.

It's the power junkies that NEVER have enough that need the heavy duty parts....
Understood, I'm all in on this option now. Consider me convinced. :)

Hmm, difficult decision then. I obviously like quieter but only if it's enough audible difference for the power compromises to be worth it.

I dont hear that much sound (may be it's my loss of hearing due to loud music, lol). So, for me personally, this is a nice to have. I am not super picky, and as I have mentioned multiple times before .. I am lazy.. i want to do the bare minimum to keep my bike quiet / riding condition.

Clearly, that has shown itself in the development of this gear. It has been lagging since there is not a lot of motivation on my part. :)
It would appear you did "get er done" in the end though. That's the piece I'll remember best. That effort appreciated immensely. -Al

Hmm, difficult decision then. I obviously like quieter but only if it's enough audible difference for the power compromises to be worth it.
As far as "quiet" goes, that's subjective for sure. To help with that call though, most BBSHD (BBSXX actually) owners consider their bikes quiet. As do the owners of the early G510 Ultras that came with plastic gears from the factory. That's good enough for me..... -Al

As far as "quiet" goes, that's subjective for sure. To help with that call though, most BBSHD (BBSXX actually) owners consider their bikes quiet. As do the owners of the early G510 Ultras that came with plastic gears from the factory. That's good enough for me..... -Al
My BBSHD I consider quiet. However, my bike is a single speed. So, I'm thinking gearing comes into play for noise.

My BBSHD I consider quiet. However, my bike is a single speed. So, I'm thinking gearing comes into play for noise.
The gearing in play here (that I'm talking about anyway) is the Ultra's internal gears (metal vs. plastic). The noise those make aren't going to change no matter what you use for the rest of the drive system. Could be a single speed, a 9 speed, or an IGH. An Ultra with a plastic/composite gear is going to make noticeably less noise than the metal gear most came with the factory have (exception being the very earliest G510 motors).

My opinion would be a definite no, the cassette or cartridge gears in play (whatever you're using) do not have an effect on motor noise, but that's based on my experience. It's possible others may have a different opinion.

Hmm, I don't have personal experience, but that seems contrary to many ebike reviews (EBR included) of different motor brands indicating motor noise being dependent on speed, which is partially dependent on gearing.

Fact, LUNA has already done it for the M600 and the BBSHD which has the same torque rating as the Ultra in standard PEEK plastic which is way harder than nylon but not for the Ultra.
Carbon infused PEEK is used in the aerospace industry when something as hard as metal is needed but can't be used for whatever reason, it's even harder than what Luna is using.
As far as I know WW will be the very first Ebike company to bring a PEEK gear with carbon infusion to market. This is a game changer if it works, forget about using this on the 2300W X1 but if it works as intended on the 1000W X1 with restricted throttle it will be great.

"I took the bike for a test ride this morning up some hills and was super impressed on how much more quiet the motor was."

"Silent! Makes less noise at high load than the nylon gear"

Two comments from Ebikers who had both the old nylon gear and the new PEEK gear on the BBSHD, so we know it makes less noise than the steel gear, but there is even an improvement over the nylon gear which is amazing.
And the BBSHD is known to have less noise from OEM compared to the Ultra to start off with. So I don't know if you will ever get it that silient, but we have an EBR member that still has his nylon gear on his Ultra that says his motor is very quite, he also doesn't have a throttle on his Ebike, and that is why I think his weaker nylon gear has survived all this time.
That would be me. And , yes I think the throttle on the Ultra would put a good deal of stress on the gear.

People need to understand and I think most do that the WW X1 1000W version of the Ultra is already more powerful than the stock version straight from Bafang.
Many members posting here on EBR already have the 1000W X1, I haven't seen one post of buyers regret on that item, saying I wish I had even more power, they are happy with it.

Back