Want to get into ebikes but I am a little confused now

I'm struggling to understand why so many want a bike that goes 28 MPH. If I wanted a motorcycle I'd buy a motorcycle, 20 MPH is plenty fast enough for me and I'm an older fellow too. I'm much more interested in torque and the ability to get up hills than going at a speed that could kill me. Am I missing something? Is the 28 MPH bike in demand for reasons other than top speed?

Thanks
You’re right, 20 mph is fine. That said, what do you think of the bikes I mentioned? Remember I need a local bike shop to work with as I am not handy. Thanks.

I'm struggling to understand why so many want a bike that goes 28 MPH. If I wanted a motorcycle I'd buy a motorcycle, 20 MPH is plenty fast enough for me and I'm an older fellow too. I'm much more interested in torque and the ability to get up hills than going at a speed that could kill me. Am I missing something? Is the 28 MPH bike in demand for reasons other than top speed?

Thanks
It may not be about going 28. Some bikes cut out at 19 and I find that annoying. I ride a greenway that basically is downhill for 12 miles. It's not a steep grade, but very easy to ride at 20-22mph. On a test ride with a bike that cut out at 19, you could feel the assist coming in and out. Pretty annoying over 12 miles. I've only hit 28 once or twice, but ride at 20-22 a lot. It doesn't take speed to be killed on a bike, it only takes one distracted driver.

Yeah as a 58 year old my cruising speed on a regular bike is around 12, 10 on a gravel path, so 20 MPH seems plenty fast for me, I wasn't aware of the cutting out issue thanks for that.

MHS: I'm a newbie at this as well so I'll defer to the experts here. But this much I can tell you from what I've learned. A mid drive offers more torque and will be much better at climbing hills than a hub drive. As I said that's the challenge for me, getting 240 pounds of me up steep hills. I was told a 350W motor would probably work but I'm going to get at least 500W if I can afford it. I also learned that ebike rider surveys show owners love Haibike above all the others. I"m firmly committed to buying a quality bike for obvious reasons. Another issue is bike shops are reluctant to work on a bike they did not sell you, While I''m with you and will buy from a brick and mortar so I can try first, my challenge is we will be moving at retirement two states away so this could be problematic for me.

The Haibike SDU Cross 4.0 appears to be a good fit for me anyway, I see it advertised around the country for under $2,000.

Thanks

For me, I’m using both my ebikes as a car replacement. My 17 mile commute has me rooted through a nature preserve for more than half of the ride. A bike limited to 20mph would give me an estimated average speed of 15-17 mph. On my Bosch speed pedelec I’m averaging speeds of 23 mph and a 45ish minute travel time. I can do the same route in 40 minutes on my 1000w ebike. It’s essentially time savings if you’re headed into work.

The other consideration that I feel a lot of European brands can’t seem to understand is that road infrastructure here in the US isn’t meant to be shared by bikes and cars. I’ve got parts of my route with no bike lanes and 35mph speed limits which in reality put the cars as 45-55mph. Puttering along at 20mph or less puts me in a less safer position as drivers can’t share the road or even recognize a bike as a road user. On my 1000w bike I can do a solid 33mph and take the lane if I have to. The speed difference between me and the cars is minimized therefore the drivers don’t get butt hurt that I slowed them down by a second or two.

Thanks

Trek answered it beautifully.
The difference is either you use your bike or car because if your commute is 15 miles each way, the difference could be huge.

Actually I really like crossrip+ and would have considered it but imo it is not priced right.

What I meant was it seems to be a solid entry level gravel bike and I like it a lot. I am sure it is a great riding bike however it looks like the bike itself is $1-1.5K and the remaining $3K is the electric motor and battery which I can not justify.
Hi Johnny,

I think you tried a lot of ebikes already but you're still on the fence since you mentioned you don't want to spend more than 3k for an electric bike. I think you should also try to ride the Cross Current S since it is a commuter ebike with front suspension, the only thing I would add to it is a body float suspension post. Tora Harris has been ironing out the kinks on this ebike model and the parts and components used here are high quality.
https://www.juicedbikes.com/products/crosscurrent-s?variant=36449085650

If you look at other ebikes on this price range, you will see for yourself that Tora's product offers better value for the price.

You can also explore other products on the price range you're willing to spend. Here I adjusted it from 1.7k to 3k range
https://electricbikereview.com/?s=&...ypes=&_multi_drive_mode=&_multi_availability=

Last edited:
Trek answered it beautifully.
The difference is either you use your bike or car because if your commute is 15 miles each way, the difference could be huge.

If the bike is for commuting I can certainly see the need for speed. For me it's not necessary. I get the idea of keeping up with traffic on roads without a bike lane but a car going 45-55 will still need to negotiate around a bike that is going 33 and I have no interest in riding a bike 33 MPH.

Thanks
Seems like some riders just have a need for speed without having to get a motorcycle license . I myself would like to own a speed pedelec. If you ride safe and responsibly and enjoy the speed, why not. Just make sure you purchase a quality built ebike and obey all of the bike laws. I like that there is something for everyone who enjoys faster speeds. Some of these commuters replace their cars and they need to get to work on time IMHO. Good points though.

It may not be about going 28. Some bikes cut out at 19 and I find that annoying. I ride a greenway that basically is downhill for 12 miles. It's not a steep grade, but very easy to ride at 20-22mph. On a test ride with a bike that cut out at 19, you could feel the assist coming in and out. Pretty annoying over 12 miles. I've only hit 28 once or twice, but ride at 20-22 a lot. It doesn't take speed to be killed on a bike, it only takes one distracted driver.
I test rode a Trek SuperCommuter8 with a Bosch mid drive and the bike got up to 28mph with no problems or any extra pushing. The bike's motor is so well tuned, it hit the 28mph mark within a few seconds. Great bike to ride as a commuter IMHO.

Yeah as a 58 year old my cruising speed on a regular bike is around 12, 10 on a gravel path, so 20 MPH seems plenty fast for me, I wasn't aware of the cutting out issue thanks for that.

MHS: I'm a newbie at this as well so I'll defer to the experts here. But this much I can tell you from what I've learned. A mid drive offers more torque and will be much better at climbing hills than a hub drive. As I said that's the challenge for me, getting 240 pounds of me up steep hills. I was told a 350W motor would probably work but I'm going to get at least 500W if I can afford it. I also learned that ebike rider surveys show owners love Haibike above all the others. I"m firmly committed to buying a quality bike for obvious reasons. Another issue is bike shops are reluctant to work on a bike they did not sell you, While I''m with you and will buy from a brick and mortar so I can try first, my challenge is we will be moving at retirement two states away so this could be problematic for me.

The Haibike SDU Cross 4.0 appears to be a good fit for me anyway, I see it advertised around the country for under $2,000.
In your weight class, it looks like you are better off with a 500 watt motor, especially for up hill climbs. If you were half that weight, a 250-350 watt motor would be adequate based on my own riding experience.

Seems like some riders just have a need for speed without having to get a motorcycle license . I myself would like to own a speed pedelec. If you ride safe and responsibly and enjoy the speed, why not. Just make sure you purchase a quality built ebike and obey all of the bike laws. I like that there is something for everyone who enjoys faster speeds. Some of these commuters replace their cars and they need to get to work on time IMHO. Good points though.

Yeah as I said I get the need for speed if you are commuting. Maybe because I quit motorcycles before I got hurt or worse I just have no desire to ever go faster than say 20 MPH ever again. There is no question to me that 33 MPH is more dangerous than 20 MPH on something as exposed as a bicycle. And thanks for the other post, several people have told me I need 500W. The Haibike SDURO Cross 4.0 has the Yamaha 500W and is at my budget of $2,000, on sale for less in some places.

Would that not be a good choice for the OP? I have kind of hijacked the thread and would like to get back to his/her questions.

If the bike is for commuting I can certainly see the need for speed. For me it's not necessary. I get the idea of keeping up with traffic on roads without a bike lane but a car going 45-55 will still need to negotiate around a bike that is going 33 and I have no interest in riding a bike 33 MPH.
That said, a speed pedelec is not for you, however, the availability is key to the riders who can utilize the speed capability while riding to work or just out and about. Sounds like you should stay with a class1/2 ebike to suit your personal needs.

Yeah as I said I get the need for speed if you are commuting. Maybe because I quit motorcycles before I got hurt or worse I just have no desire to ever go faster than say 20 MPH ever again. There is no question to me that 33 MPH is more dangerous than 20 MPH on something as exposed as a bicycle. And thanks for the other post, several people have told me I need 500W. The Haibike SDURO Cross 4.0 has the Yamaha 500W and is at my budget of $2,000, on sale for less in some places.

Would that not be a good choice for the OP? I have kind of hijacked the thread and would like to get back to his/her questions.

Seems like that bike would be good choice as with many others as well. 500 watt Yamaha @high maximum torque of up to 80Nm is plenty of power. I also like an ebike with a rear hub motor that can get that off the line zippy output. As many have mentioned, it is best to get out there and do a comparison to see what would be within your comfort zone and budget. I see they offer that bike in a low step option which is also a nice feature. Happy shopping!

Thanks for all the great feedback. I will probably give the order today.

Well I dcided to go for a Xduro Cross Rc a two year old model but seemed similar to 2017 Xduro cross 3.0.

Hopefully it will be a nice bike.

Last edited:

Well I dcided to go for a Xduro Cross Rc a two year old model but seemed similar to 2017 Xduro cross 3.0.

Congrats. Would you be so kind as to return with your review once you have had it out for a bit?

You'll love it. Haibikes are beautifully sorted out.

You'll love it. Haibikes are beautifully sorted out.
I hope so, it should arrive on Monday via UPS ground. I wanted to buy it locally but they didn't have a similar model and the price difference with the 2017 model was too much.

@DaveinMtAiry: I will be happy to share my eperience once it arrives.

I test rode both systems and honestly I would be happy with either. Bosch felt a little more powerful in Eco and in Turbo modes but again I liked them both.

Okay guys. Looking for a little advice. I am an ebike noob, but very experienced road biker / mtb. I used to ride my road bike on my 30 mile one way commute. I had to quit because I now see a patient on my way to and from work and couldn't really show up dripping sweat. At any rate I want to get back to riding to work. I have a 60 mile round trip commute, but I can easily recharge battery at work. I am definitely needing a pedelec bike with high top speed and range. I have been researching for a couple of month's. I don't have a lot of money to spend (ideally ~ $2k). My research had led me to the Juiced CrossCurrent S with 650W rear hub motor with 48 V/ 17.4 amp Hr battery, and I was getting ready to order for $2K, but then I found out about the Bafang BBSHD mid-drive. I have researched it, and I could order a Luna Bikes kit with the BBSHD 750 W mid drive and 52V/ 13.5 amp Hr battery for about $1350 and put it on a Bikes Direct Motobecane Elite Adventure that I can buy for $400. I would also need to add some fenders, lights, install specialty tools, etc. which would bring total price close to the same $2K.
My concerns with the Cross Current:
Limited top speed; I know it has an off road mode capable setting but it appears bike is only capable of assist up to ~32 mph.
Rear spoke breakage on hub motor: I know the bike now has better Sapim rear spokes, but no real world testing to show if the problem is fixed.

Concerns with the BBSHD mid drive build:
Drivetrain durability, chain, cassette, etc.
Range limitation with smaller battery.
No water bottle mount available after ebike conversion (I sweat A LOT when I ride hard).
Minor concern over doing the build. (I am very handy, have tons of tools, and do all my own bike maintenance).

Also I live in Utah, so my commute naturally is anything but flat. Only really steep hill is short ~ 12% grade. Everything else is reasonable. Wind bothered me more than the hills when commuting in the past.
I am 47 y/o and 5-10 and ~185# and obviously am a speed oriented rider. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

What size brakes on that Bikes Direct bike? Going that limited 32 mph is going to take a big hydraulic disc brake to be slightly safe. I'd question if the 13.5 A/hr battery will have enough energy if you plan on topping out assist for 30 miles. I guess I've never seen a better situation for a motorcycle. 420 miles a week is really going to eat up a bicycle in my opinion. You'll need a stock of brake pads all the time. Not sure a battery pack would last much more than a year with charging twice a day. That means $700 a year on battery packs.

Back