Want to get into ebikes but I am a little confused now

The Bosch Performance Line models will give max speed of 28mph assist, the CX models are limited to 20mph.
Haibikes choice of names and model numbers for their bikes is confusing, and seems to have changed this year to add to the confusion.
But that are beautifully made machines. The welds, fittings, and overall design are top notch.
And I have to agree with you about the cost of the batteries! but then again I don't know what goes into the making of the batteries, but still, almost $1000 for a 500w is a lot of $$$$.

Is there a difference other than Bosch motor instead of Yamaha between Xduro and Sduro lines(like better frame , components etc?).

Should I go for hard tail or Full suspension ? I am also thinking of riding the bike on trails but then how will the commute be with FS ?

With FS, the ride will be nice, but some of your pedal power input will be absorbed by the suspension. Also, if you're planning to use panniers, there might be only one after market rack that attaches to the seat stays.

With FS, the ride will be nice, but some of your pedal power input will be absorbed by the suspension. Also, if you're planning to use panniers, there might be only one after market rack that attaches to the seat stays.

You can lock out the fork and tighten up the rear shock. Might be able to lock out the rear, but I can't remember. If you have rough streets or construction. I love riding my FS then!

Appreciate the FS as our streets can be as harsh as the trails!
With Haibikes it used to be XDuro meant Bosch and Sduro meant Yamaha, but this year that is not the case. Not sure how bikes are fitted with levels of components, you gotta do your homework with research and test drives.

I'm curious about this statement...

"Trek Crossrip+ .... the frame looks like an entry level model."
What do you mean by "entry level"? What would make it more than an entry level?

IMHO, the components are top notch. IMHO this is one of the few electric bikes that you can pedal at a reasonable clip under your own power. I use the motor in the mornings and sometimes pedal under my own power in the evenings when I don't care about sweating. It's one of the few e-bikes that comes with tires that can be inflated to 90psi. That makes it quite a bit less comfortable, and quite a bit more efficient :)

Trek is one of the few manufactures that caters for the longer distance bike commuter - for both e-bikes and regular bikes (the regular Crossrip - non e-bike - is the one of the few bikes that comes with great components, is light, and is designed to take a bike rack).

I think the Crossrip+ is a great choice if you want to occasionally get a good workout, and occasionally get a good boost. Of course I'm a happy, and biased, owner!

With Haibikes it used to be XDuro meant Bosch and Sduro meant Yamaha, but this year that is not the case. Not sure how bikes are fitted with levels of components, you gotta do your homework with research and test drives.

FYI -The Haibike rep explained it for 2018: The Xduro line with Yamaha or Bosch is more for extreme riding where as the Sduros with Bosch or Yamaha are more for a relaxed or upright riding style. They still do make it difficult to differentiate between the two IMHO.

I'm curious about this statement...

"Trek Crossrip+ .... the frame looks like an entry level model."
What do you mean by "entry level"? What would make it more than an entry level?

IMHO, the components are top notch. IMHO this is one of the few electric bikes that you can pedal at a reasonable clip under your own power. I use the motor in the mornings and sometimes pedal under my own power in the evenings when I don't care about sweating. It's one of the few e-bikes that comes with tires that can be inflated to 90psi. That makes it quite a bit less comfortable, and quite a bit more efficient :)

Trek is one of the few manufactures that caters for the longer distance bike commuter - for both e-bikes and regular bikes (the regular Crossrip - non e-bike - is the one of the few bikes that comes with great components, is light, and is designed to take a bike rack).

I think the Crossrip+ is a great choice if you want to occasionally get a good workout, and occasionally get a good boost. Of course I'm a happy, and biased, owner!

Actually I really like crossrip+ and would have considered it but imo it is not priced right.

What I meant was it seems to be a solid entry level gravel bike and I like it a lot. I am sure it is a great riding bike however it looks like the bike itself is $1-1.5K and the remaining $3K is the electric motor and battery which I can not justify.

Thank you Paul your comments were most helpful.

Today I had the chance to ride the bosch and yamaha systems. Bosch was on an expensive all mountain haibike with 27.5" wheels and Yamaha was on a 29" wheel Full suspension model (forgot the exact model though).

I have to say both felt very nice however I liked power deilvery of Bosch a little more on the other hand I liked the 29" wheeles FS model better as a bike (it went uphill better). I am around 6.1" however the 27.5 felt small the 29" wheel model felt great.

What do you think about the size of the wheels (in other words would going for a larger frame with 27.5" wheels be ok?).

I am planning to get 2017 Xduro Fullseven 5.0 if the price is right (or Xduro allmntn 7.0) but both are 27.5" wheels.

Thank you Paul your comments were most helpful.

Today I had the chance to ride the bosch and yamaha systems. Bosch was on an expensive all mountain haibike with 27.5" wheels and Yamaha was on a 29" wheel Full suspension model (forgot the exact model though).

I have to say both felt very nice however I liked power deilvery of Bosch a little more on the other hand I liked the 29" wheeles FS model better as a bike (it went uphill better). I am around 6.1" however the 27.5 felt small the 29" wheel model felt great.

What do you think about the size of the wheels (in other words would going for a larger frame with 27.5" wheels be ok?).

I am planning to get 2017 Xduro Fullseven 5.0 if the price is right (or Xduro allmntn 7.0) but both are 27.5" wheels.
If the 29er felt great go for it. It's very important that a bike fits your body size. A 29'" wheel will go over bumps easier, and the overall ride will be smoother. (And this is coming from someone who rides a Haibike Sduro AllMtn Plus with 27.5" wheels. I do have a non-electric 29er, so I know the difference.)

If the 29er felt great go for it. It's very important that a bike fits your body size. A 29'" wheel will go over bumps easier, and the overall ride will be smoother. (And this is coming from someone who rides a Haibike Sduro AllMtn Plus with 27.5" wheels. I do have a non-electric 29er, so I know the difference.)
Thank you for the feedback. Only problem is I don't see many 29" fs mountainbikes. Maybe I should look at hardtail trail bikes.

I ride a 2016 XDURO Full Seven S RX. I haven't been on a 29, but I was told the 27.5 is a bit more nimble. Our trails around here have lots of sharp cutbacks, so that is what I got. Maybe the 29 would help when I'm climbing on roots, but I am very pleased with my choice when cutting between trees on a 180 degree short turn.

Also trying to figure out Haibike models is tiring. Also I failed to get closer to the OTD prices some people claimed to get in these forums, heck I can't even get a discount on the advertised prices most of the time. Take these for instance:
https://electricbikereview.com/foru...e-izip-e3-dash-vs-haibike-trekking-4-0.15598/ ($3200 otd for Xduro Trekking S, $2200 OTD for Sduro Trekking 4.0 ? ) or this one 2017 AM7 for $3800 OTD https://electricbikereview.com/foru...ountain-7-and-possibly-the-2017-full-7.14943/? No one came remotely close to that price. I will really appreciate if somebody points me to the dealer who can somewhat come close to these prices.

The problem with the official discounted prices of Haibikes is that the new models are named differently so you can not easily compare them to the 2018 counterparts to see if it is a good deal. After going through the specs thoroughly(and spending a lot of time) I actually saw that some of them are more expensive than the similar 2018 models. For example take

2018 Sduro HardNine 4.0 (this one comes with Bosch CX system) $2600
https://www.haibike.com

2017 Xduro Cross 3.0 (comes with Bosch but with 400Wh battery) $2800
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Can somebody tell me what I am missing because when I look at the components I feel like the $200 cheaper 2018 model is actually somewhat better than the discounted Xduro model?

Sorry about the tone of the post, it became quite tiring trying going through specs.

In that case, the 2018 looks like a lot better deal. You get an longer travel air fork and a bigger battery. It does have the Purion display, I like the Intuvia on the 2017 better. Did you call Crazy Lenny's? Unless you use the same dealers we mention, you won't get the same pricing we did.

In that case, the 2018 looks like a lot better deal. You get an longer travel air fork and a bigger battery. It does have the Purion display, I like the Intuvia on the 2017 better. Did you call Crazy Lenny's? Unless you use the same dealers we mention, you won't get the same pricing we did.
Thank you Rich, yea I also like intuvia better but I thought Purion was ok (does it have additional functionality?).

I got in touch with CrazyLenny's and they seem to be out of 2017 models :(

If I could add my .02 I came here months ago knowing nothing. What I did take away is Haibike is a quality brand. A little more digging showed me that in ebike surveys it was by far the brand riders would most likely buy again. My searches frustrated me as I could not fine one under 3 grand that would take my 240 pounds up steep hills. And I can't find a shop anywhere that has a fleet for me to ride. But then I saw your link for a 500W mid-drive for $2,000 and if it were me I'd hope all over that deal.

Edit: Upon further review your link is showing that bike with a 500w motor but all other links show 250w It's also for sale at around that price everywhere so I'm not sure it's such a great deal after all.

Last edited:
Thank you Rich, yea I also like intuvia better but I thought Purion was ok (does it have additional functionality?).

I got in touch with CrazyLenny's and they seem to be out of 2017 models :(
I would get a bike you like and get a hold of Luna cycles and get a bafang mid drive kit,be it bsshd or 02, the cadence sensor is fine and you can go with or without throttle and the Luna version is pretty badass. If you wanna go with hub motor and torque sensor get a hold of ebike.ca ( grin tech) and they will hook you up. Either way you can't go wrong and you know what you've got. Grin tech has a torque sensor bottom bracket that works. It takes the place of the bottom bracket in the stock crankset and has a torque sensor built in and hooks to the cycle analyst v3. You can't go wrong with grin tech (ebike.ca) and their out of Canada, very quick shipping. That's my 2 cents.

I am someone who recently returned biking after 2 years. I have a trek hybrid that I like riding and I usually use it for commuting too (around 20 miles round-trip). I can climb hills and I am kinda fit however I like to extend my range and sometimes I don't want to sweat too much in my commute.

At first I was planning to switch to a road bike then I realized that I also want to go to trails every now and then and I want some assurance that even on the days that I feel a little worn out I can still ride. So I have been having many thoughts about e-bikes.

Although I have an understanding on the electrical components (I used to build RC planes and in that hobby you deal with lipo batteries, speed controllers , chargers etc a lot) when it comes to bikes I don't know much.

I do know that I want to keep getting my exercise (so I don't want a throttle, I want some pedal assist at times to increase my range and provide convenience) and I also want to be able to completely disable it and still ride the bike without getting resistance from the motor.

I have two main options:

1. Getting a e-bike conversion kit for my current bike. I searched for a kit with torque sensor however I couldn't find and sellers in the US. If I ordered from China then the price is still too high to risk it. If someone can point me to a US based kit with torque sensors I can give it a try.

2. Just getting an ebike which is a pain altogether. I didn't know that there were so many small manufacturers. I am more into getting into a well known brand like Trek, Giant etc. since even the cheaper options (which on paper they look great value) are between 1.5k-2K,

Here are some of the bikes I had in mind,

- Giant Road E 1 https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/bikes-road-eplus, I really like a road bike and this seemed great at first but then again, it will be heavy and although I love dropbars I don't know how much of a bike I am getting and how much I am paying for the motor system.

- Trek Crossrip+ https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/...srip/crossrip/p/1373000-2018/?colorCode=black, seems to be a e-cyclocross then again 4.5K price and the frame looks like an entry level model.

Now that I realized that I don't have many choices in road/gravel type e bikes I began considering more hybrid like bikes,

- Trek Super Commuter, https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/...per-commuter-8s/p/1367000-2018/?colorCode=red, again too expensive and does not seem to be designed for agility or fitness.

- Giant Quick -E https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/bikes-quick-eplus, looks to be a much better choice compared to super commuter both in design and price.

The real problem is since bike is so heavy does it really matter to go for a solid fork ? I am seriously thinking about getting a bike with front suspension like the ones below.

- Trek Powerfly https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/...werfly-5/p/2914600-2018/?colorCode=grey_black

-Giant Explore https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/explore-eplus-3-2019 , this one at $2.350 is priced very nicely seems to have some trail capabilities.

- Haibike hard seven https://wheelworld.com/product/haibike-sduro-hardseven-4.0-297072-1.htm

I don't know how Haibike stacks against the Brand bikes. I also don't know if the front suspension e-bikes will be good commuters on the road. It seems like since weight is not as big of an issue with e bikes the companies can still make durable bikes at those price ranges.

I also don't wanna pay $3K + for a bike since it is still a bike I don't really like to spend that much.

I will be happy if I can get some help.

ADVICE PLEASE!

I am retiring soon (I’m 64) and would like to choose the right electric bike. It must come from a brick and mortar store because I’m not knowledgeable about e-bikes or handy. My favorites from my online research are the Electra Townie Go!, the Trek Lyft (test drove these two at stores) and the Raleigh Retroglide and Raleigh Redux, which I like because its top speed is 28 and the others are 20. My budget is $3000. I’m 5’10, 185 lbs.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

ADVICE PLEASE!

I am retiring soon (I’m 64) and would like to choose the right electric bike. It must come from a brick and mortar store because I’m not knowledgeable about e-bikes or handy. My favorites from my online research are the Electra Townie Go!, the Trek Lyft (test drove these two at stores) and the Raleigh Retroglide and Raleigh Redux, which I like because its top speed is 28 and the others are 20. My budget is $3000. I’m 5’10, 185 lbs.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

I'm struggling to understand why so many want a bike that goes 28 MPH. If I wanted a motorcycle I'd buy a motorcycle, 20 MPH is plenty fast enough for me and I'm an older fellow too. I'm much more interested in torque and the ability to get up hills than going at a speed that could kill me. Am I missing something? Is the 28 MPH bike in demand for reasons other than top speed?

Thanks

Back