I've had my ice blue NL for a month now and it is a game changer 500Km later! I have a couple of nice hills in my area that I always hated but now I just zip up them like nothing. I LOVE my NL. I have walk assist with the Intuvia display. It is working well for me. Strangest thing though that happened the first day I got my bike. The lock tumbler in the battery base on the rear rack fell out and wouldn't fit/stay back in. The actual lock wasn't broken. I bought my bike online and the two local shops that I would typically deal with were not at all interested in dealing with it. The company I bought my bike from is providing no support. We took the battery pack apart to find that the set screw inside the base hadn't been tightened and was in fact stripped so that it wouldn't keep the tumbler in. What we have done since there seems to be no recourse (Gazelle and ABA both directed me to the bike shop I purchased it from) is bond the set screw in so that the tumbler stays in place. So far so good. The only dislike I have is the front rack attached to the steering column. My previous Dutch bike had the front rack attached to the frame so that if you had groceries in the front there was no impact on steering. With the NL when I put groceries or heavier items up front I definately notice it in my steering. I have a black metal basket zap strapped to the front rack which works great. I'm on the lookout for some bungee strapping for the rear pannier that I don't have to take on/off but stay on the rack (had these on my previous bike. I think its a European thing.) I use my cafe lock, an Axa cable and an Abus folding lock. Bike theft is out of control on the south island. Happy and safe riding.

Attachments

• 07B09080-596F-42D1-ACD6-D92BA0F394B7.jpeg
    07B09080-596F-42D1-ACD6-D92BA0F394B7.jpeg
    516.6 KB · Views: 379
I've had my ice blue NL for a month now and it is a game changer 500Km later! I have a couple of nice hills in my area that I always hated but now I just zip up them like nothing. I LOVE my NL. I have walk assist with the Intuvia display. It is working well for me. Strangest thing though that happened the first day I got my bike. The lock tumbler in the battery base on the rear rack fell out and wouldn't fit/stay back in. The actual lock wasn't broken. I bought my bike online and the two local shops that I would typically deal with were not at all interested in dealing with it. The company I bought my bike from is providing no support. We took the battery pack apart to find that the set screw inside the base hadn't been tightened and was in fact stripped so that it wouldn't keep the tumbler in. What we have done since there seems to be no recourse (Gazelle and ABA both directed me to the bike shop I purchased it from) is bond the set screw in so that the tumbler stays in place. So far so good. The only dislike I have is the front rack attached to the steering column. My previous Dutch bike had the front rack attached to the frame so that if you had groceries in the front there was no impact on steering. With the NL when I put groceries or heavier items up front I definately notice it in my steering. I have a black metal basket zap strapped to the front rack which works great. I'm on the lookout for some bungee strapping for the rear pannier that I don't have to take on/off but stay on the rack (had these on my previous bike. I think its a European thing.) I use my cafe lock, an Axa cable and an Abus folding lock. Bike theft is out of control on the south island. Happy and safe riding.

@Baygulls5 - I am so glad your walk-assist and everything else is working out for you! WOW! And already 500km on the odometer! I've had to get used to the rack in front as well. There is a max. load of 10kg, but I typically load the lightest shopping bag in it or any bag that carries items I need quick access to. The more you ride with a load in front the easier it gets, you exercise you arms as well as your legs! :) I just got two small rear panniers that hold a total of 18 litres. My husband ordered them from Restrap in the UK for me. Not much space really for large grocery purchases but enough for me to be able to handle safely. If my confidence and biking skills improve I plan to to purchase 1 or 2 Shopper Urban Panniers from Arkel. For theft prevention, I use my cafe lock with an ABUS Adapter Chain for the rear to attach the bike securely to a stationary object; and an AXA Newton Mini Pro U-lock with a 100cm/10mm long cable for the front. This set up sounds a little over top, but in Vancouver bike theft is quite rampant. I have also registered my bike with Garage 529 and may do so with Bike Index as well.

As for my missing walk-assist, i have not heard from Gazelle yet. I've had trouble uploading my documents using their online contact form and cannot seem to reach anyone using the 1-800 number. I may have to resort to snail mail at this point.

Coming up to a month as well on Sunday, and currently have 506 miles on the odometer. Haven’t decided whether I’m doing another longish ride today. Here’s a photo of her from my first two-battery ride. That ride ended up being 86 miles, and with going back and forth between Eco and Tour on the flat bits, I still had enough left on the second battery to put it in Turbo for the boring part through the city on the way home. Still had a decent amount left when I got home as well, so I might attempt a century soon. I accidentally ended up on a gravel trail that said “mountain bike recommended” but figured I’d give it a try since I could always turn around if I got stuck, but she handled being off-road with grace.

I ended up attaching a Wald basket to the front, and now my main bag on my bike is my camera bag. It’s been great always having my camera within reach. Since the photo I’ve also added a PDW Hot Take for my water bottle. It’s easy-on, easy-off with Velcro. The pannier is mainly there to carry the second battery (and stays home when I’m just commuting). I wish I could find a bag that fits just the battery so I’m not carrying all that extra space for nothing. I’ve been looking at bike packing bags but none are quite the right size. Maybe I can have something made but I’m also not trying to break the bank. With the added weight of the second battery on the back, on downhills it almost feels like you’re still getting assistance well past the 20mph level, just from the weight of it.

8240D4B2-191A-4D65-860B-571D2B19D5AA.jpeg

... I accidentally ended up on a gravel trail that said “mountain bike recommended” but figured I’d give it a try since I could always turn around if I got stuck, but she handled being off-road with grace.

With the added weight of the second battery on the back, on downhills it almost feels like you’re still getting assistance well past the 20mph level, just from the weight of it.
I have a Medeo T9 HMB, and I’ve been equally surprised by its ability to handle light trail riding. One thing that I didn’t like though, was the flinty ride. Not just over small trail imperfections, but also on rough pavement.

I didn’t want to ruin my excellent range- riding mostly on Eco, I’ve been getting 100-110km per charge on the smaller 400 Wh battery, despite the fact that I weigh close to 240 lb. So instead of lowering my tire pressures, I reinvested some of the money I saved on the Gazelle, and bought a Kinekt 2.0 suspension seat post, armed with the optional adjuster knob and slipcover.

Highly recommended- the bike feels far more composed on rough pavement, and now I’m pedalling through bumpy sections that I used to stand up and coast through...

The acceleration on downhills was not something I was expecting. In retrospect, it makes perfect sense- 50lb of bike with accessories plus a big rider makes for a lot of momentum.

This is definitely an unexpected benefit. Thanks to the nicely-spaced gear ratios and low rolling resistance with the tires at max pressure, i still don’t find it a chore to ride with the power assist off on the flat. Meanwhile, it’s a blast to seek out long downhills on local streets and bike paths- I’m loving my gravity racer!

Last edited:
I have a Medeo T9 HMB, and I’ve been equally surprised by its ability to handle light trail riding. One thing that I didn’t like though, was the flinty ride. Not just over small trail imperfections, but also on rough pavement.

I really considered a suspension seat post, but ultimately spent my money on the second battery. I was used to doing the occasional century on my old bike, and I really wanted to match that range. Once things go slightly more back to normal I may also finally do short tours for say 3-5 days staying in Airbnbs to charge the batteries each night.

The NL has a sprung saddle which I initially didn’t want to like, and I was already looking for other saddles before I even picked up the bike, but surprisingly it’s been more comfortable than my Brooks C17 on my old bike, including for long distances. So for now I’ll stick with the sprung saddle, especially since it’s easy to replace if stolen (it retails for only $25). Between that and some great gloves from Thousand, it’s been really comfortable riding.

The Medeo has a slightly different geometry though, so it probably makes more of a difference there. These Dutch grandma-style bikes are pretty much what I grew up on, so I’m used to the feel of them.

I have a denim blue NL also and am not sure if the walk assist is working. After reading some of the previous posts a few weeks ago I tried tapping the walk assist, then the + while I was in the saddle, and there was a definite sound that came from the motor. When I have done that while walking the bike, I cannot feel any "assist" coming from the motor.

For those whose walk assist works, what does it feel like?

Adding: I love that bike. I use it mostly to run errands and to commute to my parent's community. Yes, the ride is stiff, and I have to look out for curb height (due to the kick stand hanging lower), and it's a lot of bike for this smaller framed lady to handle, but she is great at hauling our groceries. I added a set of New Looxs single panniers (Folla Alba in blue) and a crate for the handlebars. The panniers hang securely on the rear rack and I can quickly and easily attach and remove them. When I got them there was a good exchange rate for US dollars with the Euro. I added an inexpensive remote alarm from Amazon which I use mainly when needed to get the attention of drivers who don't appear to be paying attention to a rider in their midst, and I set it as a deterrent when I chain up my bike to go into the market. With covid, we have store employees standing near the bike rack cleaning carts and offering hand sanitizer. :)

I have been having some issues with carrying eggs from the market: I have had about a 20% breakage rate. And an over ripe tomato became leg spray on the way home.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to prevent problems with "delicate" items?

I have an ice blue NL with an Intuvia display. You will know if you do/don't have walk assist. There is a definate "kick" as the walk assist kicks in and your bike starts moving forward, pedals start rotating. It is very obvious. As for delicate grocery items pack your groceries yourself so that they are at the top of your bag? I use my front Electra crate for groceries, seems to work well having groceries on the front of the bike. If I used my panniers I'd worry they'd get squished or bounce around too much. My groceries in my basket remain fairly stable as I put a stretch net overtop to keep things from flying out.

In reply to Steve above. When I am riding along I don't notice much of a difference especially going downhill when I turn off the assist. However two weeks ago I ran out of battery after riding all day in a headwind and I was about 2.5 km away from home. Riding without assist was absolutely terrible! I may as well have walked all the way home pushing a loaded wheelbarrow. So I find that once underway no problem to turn off assist. Ride a significant distance without battery power, never again:)

Putting this question out there to the NL world. I have 1000Km on my bike and my brakes scream like someone is dying especially going down steep downhills and even when it is dry. Anyone else out there had/resolved that issue so that they can ride in peace (and so can drivers)? Happy riding!

Hey everyone. Hope you are all safe and well! My NL is just over 1000Km's and I've noticed what I think to be some chain stretch resulting in a noisy, clanky/rattling ride when I pedal. I'm assuming this is normal for breaking in a new bike (I've never had a brand new bike). Anyone else experienced this with their new bikes? I am going to move my rear wheel back slightly, see if that improves things. I'll let you know if it reduces the noise. Happy riding!
Also since posting previously my brakes have stopped screaming at me. Much more pleasant riding!

HI everyone. My Gazelle NL now has 1700 Km on it. Since I have had my bike (Aug/20) the brakes have SQUEALED terribly. I also have an issue now with not being able to adjust any further the rear brake lever. It comes right up against the handlebar and there is no braking whatsoever. I'm sure this is a simple issue but can't seem to find anything online that can help me. Anyone else with similar issues? Thanks!

HI everyone. My Gazelle NL now has 1700 Km on it. Since I have had my bike (Aug/20) the brakes have SQUEALED terribly. I also have an issue now with not being able to adjust any further the rear brake lever. It comes right up against the handlebar and there is no braking whatsoever. I'm sure this is a simple issue but can't seem to find anything online that can help me. Anyone else with similar issues? Thanks!
You need to visit the LBS. Squeaking brakes mean nothing. Lever down might mean worn brake pads.

You need to visit the LBS. Squeaking brakes mean nothing. Lever down might mean worn brake pads.
I think you are right. My problem is however that my LBS's (yes plural-I have made alot of calls) are very busy and they don't want to work on bikes that weren't purchased at their stores or were purchased online. They can afford to turn away those of us online purchasers because they are so busy supporting their own customers. I saved alot of money buying my bike online but now not so sure if I can't get anyone to service it:(

Brake pads can be serviced by any LBS. You can replace the yourself, too!

I think you are right. My problem is however that my LBS's (yes plural-I have made alot of calls) are very busy and they don't want to work on bikes that weren't purchased at their stores or were purchased online. They can afford to turn away those of us online purchasers because they are so busy supporting their own customers. I saved alot of money buying my bike online but now not so sure if I can't get anyone to service it:(
Have you tried a mobile mechanic? Not sure if there are any in your local area, but I know we have them here. One was recommended by a bike shop in NL when I was considering buying an Azor from them.

My rear brake lever was “bottoming” until my hubby rotated it so it didn’t hit the gear cable housing. (I have small hands and had a hard time getting my fingers on the brake levers comfortably the way the mechanic set it up. And he kept insisting it couldn’t be set closer....). Having said that, we suspect a small seep is happening, and it WILL be addressed when I take her in for her annual recheck.😉

Last edited:
Have you tried a mobile mechanic? Not sure if there are any in your local area, but I know we have them here. One was recommended by a bike shop in NL when I was considering buying an Azor from them.

My rear brake lever was “bottoming” until my hubby rotated it so it didn’t hit the gear cable housing. (I have small hands and had a hard time getting my fingers on the brake levers comfortably the way the mechanic set it up. And he kept insisting it couldn’t be set closer....). Having said that, we suspect a small seep is happening, and it WILL be addressed when I take her in for her annual recheck.😉
Thanks for this Kate. Yes we have a mobile bike shop in our parts. If I can't figure this out myself they are next on my list to call. I am somewhat confused however as what I have read online from Magura themselves about the HS22's that are on my bike is that they don't need to be bled and simple "tool free" adjustments for the brakes. I think I might be needing to haul out my bike tools for this:)

I'm on the road again! Thanks to my awesome hubby who is pretty good at bike mechanics, ebikes taking it to a different level we figured it out. I looks like I'll be needing new brake pads in a few hundred Km's. Now the challenge is that it looks like these HS22 (or HS33-I've been told either works for this set of brakes) brake pads are sparsely available in my part of the world even on ebay etc unless I go with aftermarket. Not sure I'm wanting to do that. I have found a store back east Scooteretti who has them so I've ordered two sets. Jeepers my bike is becoming more complicated than my car:) But still the best way to get to where I'm going by far. Safe riding out there!

Shout out to MEC for those NL owners in Canada. I've been having some minor annoyances pretty much since the beginning of getting my bike a year ago August with rattling sound and shifting issues. We've been making chain adjustments and adjusting the shifting cables all the way along until last week there was too much stretch on the shifter cable at the shift unit housing. As in my previous posts lbs's in my area have outright refused to work on my NL because I bought it online and not from their shop. I took it in this week to one lbs and they told me the problem was the shifter cable running through the Bosch motor housing and catching/rubbing on the internal motor parts causing the shifting issue and the "clattering" sounds. Told me it was a major repair and couldn't do it until end of July! I called the bike shop back east where I bought it from and they told me MEC is a certified Bosch repair shop. Called my local MEC two days ago, brought it in the same day, said it would be 3-4 days but I picked it up ready to go today. They replaced 5mm shift cable with 4mm shift cable to reduce it from catching inside the motor housing, The charge for new shift cable, rerouting new cable through frame and motor housing which is brutal, taking off the chain guard (another pain in the @#$) and an internal hub clean up all totalled less than $100. I like many MEC members am upset about the recent purchase of MEC by another company but I will definitely be heading back to my local MEC for my bike issues. I recommend giving yours a try too. 2300km's on it and it is riding better than new:)

Back