Voltbike - Interceptor , anyone with experience dealing with them?

Brian Lo

Hello everyone , I am looking for a new budget bike to get around town.
I noticed there's a little establishment near where i live called Voltbike.
http://www.voltbike.ca/interceptor/voltbike-interceptor.html
front_2.jpg

I tried googling them up but nothing really came up ....

Anyone have any sort of information regarding their brand , their build quality , their customer service or whatever sort of information that's gonna help a student on a budget ?

I too did some research recently on Volt Bikes and could find very little info anywhere. However, if you can get local sales and service and a decent warranty if at least one year and you like the bike and the price then it could be a great fit. Just make sure that they can service it locally. It's a nice looking bike with some good added features, so if it feels solid and you like it then consider it. You'd be the first one here that I know of to have one. The Voltbike Yukon looks like a cool bike to and would be much better in the snow.

After doing much research I ended up ordering one of these today. Should be arriving next Friday (fingers crossed). I'll post some impressions as soon as I have a chance.

[edit]
Just wanted to add that I spoke to George Krastev (founder) on the phone to get some more information on technical specs of the bike. From what I heard I was a bit surprised by such low price. 40 Km/h on throttle and faster with pedal assist (9 levels?!), 48v 12 a/h battery and 1000w direct drive gearless motor, 9 gears, 26" 2.1 tires, aluminum frame, fenders, front/back lights powered by on board battery. Only little niggle I think I have is that the display is not quick release. It is nice and large though.

Last edited:
Hi guys, I am monitoring this post for quite some time. Thanks for your order Kilopip.

Voltbike Intereceptor is our latest bike and the difference here is that it's using Mxus Direct Drive gearless motor. It's surprising how quiet and smooth the motor is (compared to geared) and how much torque it provides. In fact, our main warehouse in Burnaby, BC is located on street with 20% hill, and this bike climbs better than our electric scooters on that hill. (Our electric scooters are quite powerful and heavy but with 48v 20Ah batteries. ). The LCD on Intereceptor is nice and large, positioned convenient in the middle of the handlebar. The motor is paired with quality Samsung battery 48V 11.6Ah.

For those interested we are in process of getting Electricbikereview.com to make video review for some of our bikes including Interceptor. It's very likely that in Sept/Oct he can visit Vancouver so we can make nice videos on the spot. ( finger crossed :) ). Otherwise we are going to ship them to Colorado.

After doing much research I ended up ordering one of these today. Should be arriving next Friday (fingers crossed). I'll post some impressions as soon as I have a chance.

[edit]
Just wanted to add that I spoke to George Krastev (founder) on the phone to get some more information on technical specs of the bike. From what I heard I was a bit surprised by such low price. 40 Km/h on throttle and faster with pedal assist (9 levels?!), 48v 12 a/h battery and 1000w direct drive gearless motor, 9 gears, 26" 2.1 tires, aluminum frame, fenders, front/back lights powered by on board battery. Only little niggle I think I have is that the display is not quick release. It is nice and large though.

Looking forward to it!
I mean...geeees.... it's a big investment $1800 bucks. Would love to have one tho , but just not quite sure because there ain't really that much if any reviews of the company yet unlike other brands that Pedego or maybe IZIP which I remember Court recommending me a while back. (never quite made the move on the IZIP because well.... gees.... la wees , if something go wrong wheeling in a bike into a shop I didn't buy from is gonna be really kinda awkward. Buy local , use local , and ride local if you know what I mean)

Anyway... Keep us up to date eh?

Hi guys, I am monitoring this post for quite some time. Thanks for your order Kilopip.

Voltbike Intereceptor is our latest bike and the difference here is that it's using Mxus Direct Drive gearless motor. It's surprising how quiet and smooth the motor is (compared to geared) and how much torque it provides. In fact, our main warehouse in Burnaby, BC is located on street with 20% hill, and this bike climbs better than our electric scooters on that hill. (Our electric scooters are quite powerful and heavy but with 48v 20Ah batteries. ). The LCD on Intereceptor is nice and large, positioned convenient in the middle of the handlebar. The motor is paired with quality Samsung battery 48V 11.6Ah.

For those interested we are in process of getting Electricbikereview.com to make video review for some of our bikes including Interceptor. It's very likely that in Sept/Oct he can visit Vancouver so we can make nice videos on the spot. ( finger crossed :) ). Otherwise we are going to ship them to Colorado.

BRILLIANT!
Court's a good lad , and he's coming to Vancouver eh? I suppose Sept/Oct is just round the time between the blazing heat and the winter drizzle. Giving the bike a trial by fire eh...well..water...but still curious! Kinda rainy during the winter months , so fingers crossed. Weather trials!

Looking forward to it!
I mean...geeees.... it's a big investment $1800 bucks. Would love to have one tho , but just not quite sure because there ain't really that much if any reviews of the company yet unlike other brands that Pedego or maybe IZIP which I remember Court recommending me a while back. (never quite made the move on the IZIP because well.... gees.... la wees , if something go wrong wheeling in a bike into a shop I didn't buy from is gonna be really kinda awkward. Buy local , use local , and ride local if you know what I mean)

Anyway... Keep us up to date eh?

Trust me I looked around and went to my local shops but I could not find a commuter bike at my price range. The bike I had my on was the Evo Cross or 27.5, but at $3599 CAD before tax it was just out of reach at the moment. I would also have to spring some $ on fenders and rack. My only alternative in this price range would have been Neo Volt at $1900.00 CAD but that's not the bike style I am looking for.

Why should I feel awkward taking it to local shop? I never took my bicycle to the shop I purchased it to be fixed since the warranty expired. It's up to them to decide if they want my business or not. I'm not asking them to work for free ;)

If there's no local dealer for your brand of ebike, there should be no problem. We always appreciated that our customers trusted our service department no matter what the brand; just do take it to a shop that's used to working on ebikes :)

Hello everyone , I am looking for a new budget bike to get around town.
I noticed there's a little establishment near where i live called Voltbike. http://www.voltbike.ca/interceptor/voltbike-interceptor.html I tried googling them up but nothing really came up .... Anyone have any sort of information regarding their brand , their build quality , their customer service or whatever sort of information that's gonna help a student on a budget ?
Hey Brian! I reviewed the entire line of Voltbikes... just for you :D hope it's not too late. I'm in the process of posting the last video now, here are the first three:

And here's the final review! I actually really enjoyed the Elegant, it's weaker and the frame flexes but the price is outstanding, especially with the fenders, lights, rack and adjustability :)

Thanks Court, for uploading Voltbike video reviews. It was pleasure to meet you in our distribution center in Burnaby, BC. It is exciting to see our line of products here.

Last edited:
Court

After watching the interviews with the people behind Lectric and Grin, I was a little disappointed not to meet the Voltbike people, a little bit. I watched the Interceptor review and it seems like they are doing a great job.

I keep think about 18 months ago, when I was looking for an ebike around $1800, the pickings were very slim. I did OK and have no complaints, but these days it's a lot more fun.

I suspect someone will ask you, with that 800/1000 watt motor, if it will go 30 mph? They say it is an Mxus motor, on the site, and will go 40 kph. Might be fair to ask how their bikes are dealing with the 20 mph limit in most states, and under the CPSC. Do you think some manufacturers, maybe smaller start-ups, will just start ignoring that limit? The issue keeps showing up in the EBR Forums.

Thanks. Great review.

Hi George, thanks for watching the reviews. Regarding Voltbike Interceptor, we are able to limit the max speed depending on where the bike is going to be shipped. This should resolve the issue with different state limits.
Our LCD display can also switch from Kph to Mph. Voltbike Interceptor is great bike with Direct Drive motor. The battery is using Samsung cells.

Great reviews Court, I also had a difficult time finding much information about the bikes when I had looked. @Kilopip How are you liking the Volt bike? I like the Elegant and the Interceptor and I like that they come with the lights and racks etc! @Brian Lo how is the search for a bike going?

I have read good things about the Mxus motors on ES forum. Justin, @ebikes.ca has the line included in his simulator. I have been playing with that simulator recently and discovered that the Mxus motors had slightly better performance than others.

Great reviews Court! I am seriously looking at their Urban model (folding). Any plans to review that model? It does look similar to e-Joe's Epik SE?

I received my Interceptor a week ago and was holding off on writing my impressions until I had sufficient time to ride it for a while. After a week of use and 220 km on my odometer I have to say I am impressed with the overall performance. The bike build is solid and the hub motor is so quiet that I can not hear anything over the noise of the tires on the road and whirring of the chain and gears. I have sought out hills to test out it's climbing capabilities and again I was not let down. Even on steepest hill I could find I was doing steady 28-30 Km/h at high assist level. As Court mentioned the throttle is independent from PAS and I learned to truly appreciate this feature. I never ride with just throttle but instead use it as a boost when I need that extra bit of speed to make the lights or clear an intersection. I did test ride with throttle only and on flat road it will go 40-45 Km/h and I was able to hit 50 Km/h on slight downhill. Overall I am really happy with my purchase but I am still getting used to all the random people on the street approaching me and asking questions or just saying "what a cool bike". :)

I received my Interceptor a week ago and was holding off on writing my impressions until I had sufficient time to ride it for a while. After a week of use and 220 km on my odometer I have to say I am impressed with the overall performance. The bike build is solid and the hub motor is so quiet that I can not hear anything over the noise of the tires on the road and whirring of the chain and gears. I have sought out hills to test out it's climbing capabilities and again I was not let down. Even on steepest hill I could find I was doing steady 28-30 Km/h at high assist level. As Court mentioned the throttle is independent from PAS and I learned to truly appreciate this feature. I never ride with just throttle but instead use it as a boost when I need that extra bit of speed to make the lights or clear an intersection. I did test ride with throttle only and on flat road it will go 40-45 Km/h and I was able to hit 50 Km/h on slight downhill. Overall I am really happy with my purchase but I am still getting used to all the random people on the street approaching me and asking questions or just saying "what a cool bike". :)
Nice report Kilo, Thanks.

I am going to Burnaby for a ride on the Interceptor tomorrow and will probably buy it based on the impressive info I have uncovered. I found a link which appears to belong to the original manufacturer and reveals more details: (link deleted as requested)Many thanks to you Court for the reviews. Your site is the definitive source of info on e-bikes.

Last edited:
Back