Very pleased with new Como 4.0 650b

Hi everyone,

Specialized has nailed it with the Como. I picked it up yesterday and here's my initial impressions.

Position / Ergonomics: it's a very comfortable bike and easy to ride. All the controls work well and are intuitively placed. No knee pains.
Motor: love the feel, power, and quietness
Battery: definitely provides the most power at the higher end of the charge. I went on a 17 mile ride today with a lot of hills and burned through 50% of the battery. I weigh 230 lbs.
Tires: Very comfortable low pressure / high volume tires. I think they are rated for 30 to 50 PSI and they came from the shop at 35 PSI and that feels good.
Fenders: They do a very good job on wet roads. I can feel a little spray from the front wheel but that is expected even with good fenders.
Pedals: They were a little slippery when my feet were wet but I like them a lot.
Saddle: Quite comfortable but my rear was a little sore after a 2 hour ride today.
Lights: I was happy to see that they moved the rear light from under the seat to the fender. That was a big improvement and Specialized is paying attention. Both lights are bright. The front light beam pattern is perfect for illuminating the road and not shining in the eyes of oncoming traffic.

The handling of the bike inspires confidence. Specialized has put a lot of thought into the various details and the overall package is outstanding. The bike is fun. My usual rides on a non electric bike are about 45 minutes. The fun factor on the Como is high and I find myself not wanting to go home...

Attached are some photos of this afternoon's ride through Hoomaluhia.
Hoomaluhia Botanical Garden.

Dave

Attachments

• IMG_0249.jpeg
    IMG_0249.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 402
  • IMG_0255.jpeg
    IMG_0255.jpeg
    796.6 KB · Views: 407
  • IMG_0263.jpeg
    IMG_0263.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 408
Hi Rome,
I don't think you can access it from the H3 side. That gate has aways been closed and locked. I think you will need to access it from the neighborhood side closer to the Like Like Hwy. There's a security guard at the neighborhood gate from 6:30AM (I think) to 6:30PM. He let me in through the gate tonight since the opening for walkers was not wide enough for my handlebars. The park gets busy with car traffic when it's open. I prefer after hours...
Enjoy,
Dave

Hi everyone,

Specialized has nailed it with the Como. I picked it up yesterday and here's my initial impressions.

Position / Ergonomics: it's a very comfortable bike and easy to ride. All the controls work well and are intuitively placed. No knee pains.
Battery: definitely provides the most power at the higher end of the charge. I went on a 17 mile ride today with a lot of hills and burned through 50% of the battery. I weigh 230 lbs.
Tires: Very comfortable low pressure / high volume tires. I think they are rated for 30 to 50 PSI and they came from the shop at 35 PSI and that feels good.
Fenders: They do a very good job on wet roads. I can feel a little spray from the front wheel but that is expected even with good fenders.
Pedals: They were a little slippery when my feet were wet but I like them a lot.
Saddle: Quite comfortable but my rear was a little sore after a 2 hour ride today.
Lights: I was happy to see that they moved the rear light from under the seat to the fender. That was a big improvement and Specialized is paying attention. Both lights are bright. The front light beam pattern is perfect for illuminating the road and not shining in the eyes of oncoming traffic.

The handling of the bike inspires confidence. Specialized has put a lot of thought into the various details and the overall package is outstanding. The bike is fun. My usual rides on a non electric bike are about 45 minutes. The fun factor on the Como is high and I find myself not wanting to go home...

Dave
"I find myself not wanting to go home..."
Me too, most times when my wife calls me during my ride and asks, "What are you making for dinner?"
:)

Hi everyone,

Dave
It might be nice being able to pedal around Paradise! Enjoy the bike in that wonderful locale.

Hi everyone,

Dave

Nice description of your new Como. You will have a blast on it and feel like you are a little kid again.
Looking forward to seeing your adventures.

Hi everyone,

Dave
Nice bike. CN

Thanks everyone. Super fun bike.

I wanted to see how many miles I could get out of a full charge and maxed out at about 30 miles. For last 30% of the battery I kept it in level 3 to burn through the battery.

I took it out tonight after dark and the lights worked great. I was timing it so I'd be close to 0% at the end but I didn't know that the battery pretty much gives out when the battery hits 5%. It started to rain and I had some hills left so that was a surprise. Hopefully that setting can be changed.

Does anybody know if the display can show the cadence?

Also, does anyone know where to find the proper rear rack in stock?
Como Rack

I think I'll upgrade to the 5.0 version when that comes out next year. I would like the higher capacity battery and stronger motor. Otherwise, it's an outstanding bike. This model 4.0 would be perfect flat lands or a lighter rider.

Rome, I'm attaching a photo of the Hoomaluhia gates. Let me know if you plan to come out this way and I'll meet you for a ride.

Take care,
Dave

Attachments

• IMG_0268.jpeg
    IMG_0268.jpeg
    202.9 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_0265.jpeg
    IMG_0265.jpeg
    361.3 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
but I didn't know that the battery pretty much gives out when the battery hits 5%. It started to rain and I had some hills left so that was a surprise. Hopefully that setting can be changed.
It cannot be changed. The 5% is meant to protect your battery against rapid deterioration. It is not that the battery gives out. It is the controller that intentionally reduces the assistance. Your ride is still assisted at perhaps 20% assistance until the battery level drops down to 3%, when the remaining battery charge is basically kept for the lights and display (and to keep the system alive).

Dave, I think everybody here has gone through that phase of using a new e-bike the hard way :) With more and more miles ridden, you'll discover you actually enjoy longer trips albeit at lower speed. I expect you would gradually start using ECO, to even further reduce the assistance levels with Mission Control. (It has been my own experience!)

I actually typically start riding at low assistance (because I'm fresh and strong in the beginning). If I can choose my route, I cover the outward segment of my loop upwind (to gain range by riding downwind on the return). When I discover I can safely reach my destination, I increase assistance because I'm already tired. (It also helps to know the elevation profile of your route beforehand). It works!

You could try connecting with Mission Control to your Como. In the Let's Ride Section, you'll find Smart Control. Activate it, set your expected distance to be ridden as well as expected elevation gain on the route. Set the remaining battery charge to 10%, and press the Start button. (Then tuck the phone into your pocket or in other safe place but the phone must remain nearby the Como). You will be surprised how smartly the Smart Control regulates the assistance for you!

Enjoy your rides!

Last edited:
@Super Dave

Cadence can be displayed on the TCD unit although it is not all that easy to change the displays and the various screens. At least, it can be changed on the wireless version.

It cannot be changed. The 5% is meant to protect your battery against rapid deterioration. It is not that the battery gives out. It is the controller that intentionally reduces the assistance. Your ride is still assisted at perhaps 20% assistance until the battery level drops down to 3%, when the remaining battery charge is basically kept for the lights and display (and to keep the system alive).

Dave, I think everybody here has gone through that phase of using a new e-bike the hard way :) With more and more miles ridden, you'll discover you actually enjoy longer trips albeit at lower speed. I expect you would gradually start using ECO, to even further reduce the assistance levels with Mission Control. (It has been my own experience!)

I actually typically start riding at low assistance (because I'm fresh and strong in the beginning). If I can choose my route, I cover the outward segment of my loop upwind (to gain range by riding downwind on the return). When I discover I can safely reach my destination, I increase assistance because I'm already tired. (It also helps to know the elevation profile of your route beforehand). It works!

You could try connecting with Mission Control to your Como. In the Let's Ride Section, you'll find Smart Control. Activate it, set your expected distance to be ridden as well as expected elevation gain on the route. Set the remaining battery charge to 10%, and press the Start button. (Then tuck the phone into your pocket or in other safe place but the phone must remain nearby the Como). You will be surprised how smartly the Smart Control regulates the assistance for you!

Enjoy your rides!
Most of my riding is on flat terrain, too, but just like Stefan, I try to always keep my bike in ECO. I do this for two reasons: 1) so I am getting a workout keeping my speed at 14mph, and 2) to extend my small 460wh battery range as far as possible. On my ride along the Monterey Coast Trail last Saturday I actually kept the support turned off for most of the ride because I was riding with my son and his girlfriend on traditional bikes, plus it was very crowded and we had to be careful of all the pedestrians around the Monterey Pier and over to Pacific Grove. We did 10 miles each way from Seaside to Pebble Beach and back, and the only time I had it turned on was to climb about 150 yards of about a 15% grade at the end of the ride to get back to my truck. It was fun going down the hill at the start of our ride, but after 19 miles of no assist I do admit it was even more fun to put it in Sport and zip right up that hill at the end of the day. 😎

Most of my riding is on flat terrain, too, but just like Stefan, I try to always keep my bike in ECO. I do this for two reasons: 1) so I am getting a workout keeping my speed at 14mph, and 2) to extend my small 460wh battery range as far as possible. On my ride along the Monterey Coast Trail last Saturday I actually kept the support turned off for most of the ride because I was riding with my son and his girlfriend on traditional bikes, plus it was very crowded and we had to be careful of all the pedestrians around the Monterey Pier and over to Pacific Grove. We did 10 miles each way from Seaside to Pebble Beach and back, and the only time I had it turned on was to climb about 150 yards of about a 15% grade at the end of the ride to get back to my truck. It was fun going down the hill at the start of our ride, but after 19 miles of no assist I do admit it was even more fun to put it in Sport and zip right up that hill at the end of the day. 😎
Which Como do you have? I know on my original 2.0, it was easier to ride with no assist. With my 3.0 riding without assist is a real drag - or feels like one.

or feels like one.
This. You have got used to the assistance of a more powerful motor.
I rode a Tero today. Since e-bikes in Europe are restricted at 25 km/h, I tried to ride Tero faster and indeed could hit about 32 km/h (20 mph) on pedal power alone!
And the new Specialized full power motors are not very different from the older ones regarding internal gearing and freewheels.

I regularly ride my Como 3.0 to 23/24 mph, but only get assistance to 20mph. Once you've established speed, pushing over it isn't easy, but doable for a bit. However, starting from zero with no assist on my Como is like trying to pedal through quicksand. The 2.0 was easier. Maybe it was the differential in chainring size. The 3.0 is 48 teeth. The 2.0 was 40 teeth.

Last edited:
Which Como do you have? I know on my original 2.0, it was easier to ride with no assist. With my 3.0 riding without assist is a real drag - or feels like one.
I have a 2019 Vado 3.0. I live in California's central valley which is very flat and might as well be Oklahoma. I don't have any trouble riding in Eco and my regular route around the little town I live in along the Stanislaus River has only one small hill (rise) I climb. I am normally riding in 7th so to climb it I shift from 7th down to 5th, but I keep the assist in Eco. There are two busy highways passing through town, one going north/south and the other (the primary route to Yosemite from the SF Bay Area) east/west. I cross each of these busy highways twice and unless I happen to catch the light perfectly and can cross with same-way traffic, I will boost my assist to Sport to shoot across when it is safe, but then I drop it right back down to Eco as soon as I am across.

I do keep mine in Eco, most of the time, using Sport only occasionally on steeper hills. And I live in Chicago western suburbs, which is prairie and quite flat.

Last edited:
I do keep mine in Eco, most of the time, using Sport only occasionally on steeper hills. And I live in Chicago western suburbs, which is prairie and quite flat.
I am actually familiar with Chicago's western suburbs. In the mid-80s I worked for Arthur Andersen and I had several opportunities to visit their big training facility along the Fox River, just north of St. Charles. I spent a total of 4 weeks there across 1985, 1986 and 1987. It is a very nice area and I enjoyed each of my visits to the Chicago area.

The Como is really enjoyable. I've found I can get two really good rides, plenty long (1.5 hours + each ride) out of one charge. So that's great. Because the rides are longer I'm finding that I'm out at dark. The headlight is good but not great. I'd like to replace it with something that has a better beam pattern and is brighter. The beam pattern is not wide enough or strong enough. I found myself hitting potholes that I could not see when cornering.

Does anyone know of a good replacement light that would run off the same voltage and be an easy swap?

Thanks

Back