Very pleased with new Como 4.0 650b

You could use the Lezyne Power E115 from the 5.0 which is quite a bit brighter than the E65. I use a Vado SL version for my Creo. You would need to order the Como version and not the Vado SL version due to the mounting differences. The Vado SL is mounted upside down on the bars rather than on the fork. I just ordered it from a Specialized dealer as a spare. I started with the H65 on my Creo because the ebike shop had it in stock and I forgot to check the P/N until after I bought it. I used it until I was able to get the E115 which is noticeably brighter.

Hey, thanks for the info guys.

Allan, thanks for the Specialized link. Interesting that the light my Como has is not listed. I think my Como came with a Herrmans H-Black MR8. They also make a higher output light in the link below but it's not as powerful as the Lezyne Power E115.
Herrmans light simulator

Herrmans also provides good diagrams on the beam patterns of their lights. After looking at their beam diagram I think I need to tilt the light higher. That might help with providing a wider beam.

Hi Rome, I picked up my Como from the Bike Shop in Kailua. I have a friend who is an electrician that could do wiring for me. But...probably better to go through the dealer for warranty reasons...

Attachments

• Herrmans H-Black MR8.png
    Herrmans H-Black MR8.png
    185.6 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_0300.jpeg
    IMG_0300.jpeg
    249.6 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_0301.jpeg
    IMG_0301.jpeg
    222.3 KB · Views: 154
After looking at their beam diagram I think I need to tilt the light higher.
That's very useful information. Indeed, tilting the light properly makes miracles (I'm doing such adjustments on empty road at nighttime).

You could use the Lezyne Power E115 from the 5.0 which is quite a bit brighter than the E65. I use a Vado SL version for my Creo. You would need to order the Como version and not the Vado SL version due to the mounting differences. The Vado SL is mounted upside down on the bars rather than on the fork. I just ordered it from a Specialized dealer as a spare. I started with the H65 on my Creo because the ebike shop had it in stock and I forgot to check the P/N until after I bought it. I used it until I was able to get the E115 which is noticeably brighter.

Allan, you are very right! I have overlooked the fact the lights are differently placed in different Specialized e-bike models.

If tilting it up doesn't do it then the Lezyne Pro E115 STVZO eBike Headlight is available online with bare wire ends. Since the Como light is mounted upright it's not a custom version like the Vado SL light. The connectors are 3mm (or 2.8mm?) spade connectors. The connectors are a little harder to find but are also used in hobby type RC vehicles. A lot of wired bicycle lights use these connectors which is not as common in the US but is my preference over battery lights.

Hi guys,
I installed the Kinekt seat post and I'm totally impressed with how well it works. It really removes the majority of the bumps / vibrations in the road. I saw the following video with one of the co-founders talking about how great the sprung Brooks B67 saddle is with the kinekt (see 5 min 10 seconds in the video).
Brooks B67 with kinekt seatpost
I had a B67 on hand and tried it out. Very, very plush.

I had some issues with power level selector. The + - power level buttons on the handlebar have become very sensitive. I have to keep my thumb off the buttons because it can change the power level with very little pressure (no clicking of the button required). I've also had a couple of instances when the system did not accept my power level changes even when pressing hard enough for the buttons to click.

Attachments

• IMG_0318.jpeg
    IMG_0318.jpeg
    729.4 KB · Views: 180
Unfortunately I am having some issues with the electronics. Yesterday, I was in power level 3 and tried to go to level 2 but it would not take. I stopped, put my foot on the ground, and the motor kept propelling the bike forward. I quickly squeezed the brakes and turned off the power. Everything worked normally after powering up. This has happened two times so far. I'll be calling the shop today. Anybody heard of this issue? The mission control application says I'm up to date on everything.

Attachments

• IMG_0329.jpeg
    IMG_0329.jpeg
    626.6 KB · Views: 187
Unfortunately I am having some issues with the electronics. Yesterday, I was in power level 3 and tried to go to level 2 but it would not take. I stopped, put my foot on the ground, and the motor kept propelling the bike forward. I quickly squeezed the brakes and turned off the power. Everything worked normally after powering up. This has happened two times so far. I'll be calling the shop today. Anybody heard of this issue? The mission control application says I'm up to date on everything.
It was even moving forward when you stopped pedaling? I thought these things were pedal-assist and don't 'assist' if you stop pedaling? I don't know your model but does it have a throttle? Hopefully, the shop will figure it out - undesired movement could be a problem.

It does however, have a walk mode that can propel the bike uphill faster than you may be able to walk...the control is on the handlebar.

Thanks guys. I'm going to bring it in to the shop when I have a chance. I'll keep riding it until then.

Yes, one foot on the ground, bike stopped, and the motor was pushing it forward...

I am familiar with the walk mode since I use it every time I ride to get up my steep driveway.

Not a big deal, hopefully it's an easy fix. I still think it's an amazing bike and leaving work now so I can get another ride in...

Hi Stefan,
I read on another thread that your Specialized comes with the Supernova model light. How do you like it? How's the power output and beam quality?
Supernova V521s

The reason I ask is because the Specialized Rider Support contacted me to see how I like the new bike. They said I can order this SuperNova from them but they don't have much info on it and it doesn't show up on my dealer's computer. I assume it's the same that came on your light. Here's the Specialized reps description.
Unfortunately the new 2022 Como 5.0 lights, Lezyne Power E115 will not work on your 2021 Como 4.0, because this is a fork-mounted front light, the most similar replacement that we carry and it is a significant upgrade, approx. 180 lumens:

S195800001 LGT MY19 COMO/SUPERNOVA FRONT LIGHT W/MULTIMOUNT ADAPTER TO MOUNT ON FORK, INCL. CABLE/CONNECTOR

By the way, I think she was misinformed on the Lezyne E115 because mine came with a fork mount.

Thanks,
Dave

Attachments

• IMG_0424.jpeg
    IMG_0424.jpeg
    577.4 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_0427.jpeg
    IMG_0427.jpeg
    574.8 KB · Views: 172
She may be referring to the Lezyne E115 Specialized uses on the Vado SL. It is an OEM version with the lens and projector reversed so it can be mounted up side down like the one in Stefan's photo. The standard off the shelf Lezyne E115 is a fork mount.

Also did you check to make sure your rear wheel sensor is clean and free of dirt and mud? I assume if or when it rains you get a really fine grit over everything.

Hi everyone,

I'm still really enjoying the Como. I took it in to the shop to try to resolve my issue and they updated the firmware. That greatly reduced the issue. Since then I've only had the system lock up one time...

I'm still searching for a better headlight. The Lezyne is pretty good but requires additional lighting. I know my model 4.0 uses the Brose T motor. But, it appears Brose has two versions of their model T. Does anyone know which one of these versions would be on my 4.0 Como?
  • Front light 2.4 A × 6 V = 14.4 W
  • Front light 2 A × 12 V = 22 W
Thanks,
Dave
Screen Shot 2021-11-17 at 12.19.15 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-17 at 12.19.23 PM.png

Hi Rome,
The Como 4.0 is a class 3 and doesn't fall into the Brose standard lineup.

I think mine is the 6 volt version but want to make sure before ordering a fancy light from Germany. Thanks,
Dave

@Super Dave: Your motor is Specialized 1.2, and that's Brose T Alu. Interestingly, pre-2022 Vado and Como 5.0 come with Specialized 1.3, which is Brose S Alu. The magnesium casing motors have only been used with Specialized e-MTBs, that is Levo and Kenevo. Could you use a voltmeter to make sure about the voltage?

Of course Rome is wrong here because he thinks of Brose motors as defined for Europe, while Specialized motors are made by Brose for Spesh, and Spesh do what's appropriate for them. In Europe, Brose T (Specialized 1.2) motor is for 25 km/h e-bikes, and Brose TF (Specialized 1.2s) is for 45 km/h S-Pedelecs. In Canada, Specialized just sets the 1.2 motor to 32 km/h, and it is set to 28 mph in the United States, as the North American e-bike law is not that strict as we experience it in the EU.

Additional information:
Brose TF (Specialized 1.2s) is different from Brose T (Specialized 1.2) because it has to provide numerous safety features: working with automotive grade lights (including STOP indicator, number plate lighting, and it is even technically capable to operate turn indicators), and supporting the horn.

Last edited:
Back