Valeo: motor & transmission in same unit

onlineaddy

Region
USA
City
San Diego, CA, USA
They holy grail? With both motor and transmission in the same mid-drive unit, the Valeo Smart E-Bike System is intriguing and potentially, if they can bring it to market, revolutionary. Other similar designs have yet to caught on. This one, in particular, is not too shabby in the power department either: 130Nm of torque from the 48V motor plus a 7-speed automatic transmission--I'd like to know the spread of those gears though. The dimensions of the unit, however, look quite big. Nevertheless, let's hope bike manufacturers sign on and they're successful.

Here's a video introducing the tech.

Valeo-Smart-e-bike-motor-transmission-integrated-system-cargo-city-mtb-bicycle-11-1068x712.jpg

Wow, it sounds very cool! I'd still want a chain glider on the belt, but I love the 130nm of torque 🙂 Love to give it a try!

Bike Rumor article on the Valeo Smart e-Bike System. 7-speed + 1 reverse gear. Here's a picture of the Effigear gearbox from a 2014 Bike Rumor article that reported a 300% range with the 7-speed version.
Effigear-belt-drive-gearbox-bike-14-600x400.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like 1:1 gearing from the crank to the wheel. With this gearing a conventional 85Nm mid-drive will deliver the same 130Nm torque to the wheel with a gear ration of 1:1.53. With a 50t rear cog you'd need a 33t chain ring to get the same results., not an uncommon MTB setup.

Not saying the Valeo motor/gear box setup wouldn't bring other benefits (no chain, minimal maintenance, etc), just that phenomenal wheel torque won't be one of them.

BTW - the reverse gear could be handy, esp with a cargo bike!

Here is a more detailed article from Electrek... along with a video from Valeo.

New electric bike mid-drive systems adds automatic transmission to motor (electrek.co)

Paris-based manufacturer Valeo worked with transmission maker Effigear to actually build an automatic transmission directly into the mid-drive motor and create a single unit. The result is known as the Valeo Smart e-Bike System and can be integrated into OEM e-bikes similarly to typical mid-drive motors like those from Bosch or Yamaha.

It features seven gear ratios and is designed to operate on 48V, with Valeo offering a downtube-mounted battery as part of the system. The motor is capable of outputing up to 130 Nm of torque, though a power rating isn’t immediately available. The company claims that the Valeo drive is “up to 60% more powerful than competitors,” without giving specific wattage numbers. No matter the true power rating though, the Valeo’s EU location means it is likely to receive a 250W sticker.

Since the Valeo Smart e-Bike System completely does away with the need for a derailleur, a belt drive setup can be used. That provides a number of unique benefits over chain drives, such as quieter operation, longer lasting components, and cleaner operation without the need for oiling. Another advantage of moving the transmission from the rear wheel to the center of the bike is the improved mass centralization.

Last edited:
I read somewhere that they are expecting the motor will be available in some ebikes by the end of 2021. They are in discussions with ebike manufacturers now. Of course, it probably won't come to the US for a while, probably just be in EU market. Sigh.

I read somewhere that they are expecting the motor will be available in some ebikes by the end of 2021. They are in discussions with ebike manufacturers now. Of course, it probably won't come to the US for a while, probably just be in EU market. Sigh.
Read where?

I looked, didn't see any. I'm guessing this won't be available until model year 2023 since it takes 2+ years from conception to production of an ebike, and component shortages don't help.

you would have to run a belt or chains would go fast. but I wonder what nm you have at the wheel when you go through the drivetrain? I am a spinner and like to keep my carnage around 80 rooms so 7 speeds may not be enough.

So they have a motor with 130 nm of torque and he rides it around in a circle in completely level ground? Well, that is a waste. It would be good, too, if they had someone who actually has ridden an ebike ride it, because he cannot judge anything.

Back