Vado SL 5.0 downgraded to 10 speed

SpeccyLeccy

Region
United Kingdom
I've had the Vado SL 5.0 non-EQ for a few months now, great bike, but I hadn't appreciated the high cost of 12 speed Shimano parts, so I have just downgraded to 10 speed.

Why do that when I have purchase such a high spec bike?! Well, I am used to buying 9 speed parts that are a fraction of the cost of 12 speed parts, even with the lower spec Deore range that has been released. Also, I found the small 10T cog was so small that I never used it, I guess I don't have the legs to push that gear!

The small matter of swapping the Micro Spline freehub body for a 9-11 speed Shimano body? The Bear Pawls website suggested their hub parts were interchangeable. Specialized Rider Care weren't 100% sure, but advised the freehub body would probably be Specialized part number: S202100004 / Bear Pawls part number: BMB-00412O1A. I ordered one from Certini (the only place I could find one in stock in the UK (Rider Care had advised that Specialized UK were out of stock at the time, probably at least for a couple of months, so no point in speaking to my local dealer)).

Swapping the freehub body was easy, pulled the Micro Spline one off by hand and pushed the new 9-11 speed one back on in it's place, simple. :)

What to replace the 12 speed with? As the plan was for economic replacement parts, it was a compromise between the number of gears versus cost. 11 speed would have cost more, but would have given a wider spread of gears. I still have a manual bike MTB running SRAM 9 speed, so I am used to having fewer gears. Yes, the 12 speed was very slick and I did notice a big difference switching between the two bikes. However I was often changing at least 2 gears at a time on the Vado for the level of gear change my legs were used to.

After a lot of deliberation, what I ended up going for is the new-ish Microshift Advent X groupset. 1x10 speed designed around a 11-48 cassette, with their specific rear derailleur and shifter. They don't make their own chains and say that any brand will work, but recommend KMC.

Before deciding to jump to the 10 speed I'd already purchased a 38T chainring to replace the 44T stock one, that was based on what a couple of others on this forum had done.

I've only done on 20 mile road ride so far with the new gearing, but found the new range of gears were working well and it is quite hilly where I live. I did not have any problems of running out of gears, I think I was doing around 25mph at 90rpm downhill, and now have a wider gear range for going up the steep hills. I am happy with the quality of the parts. Yes, the gear changes are a bit clunky compared to the slick Shimano 12 speed, but no worse than my other bike with the SRAM 9 spd.

If any SL 4.0 owners in the UK (with deeper pockets than me) fancy seeing if the Micro Spline freehub body fits their hub, or any 5.0 owners are needing a replacement / spare, then here is a cheeky link to my old freehub body that is on Ebay...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284393236932?hash=item42372869c4:g:8qwAAOSwYUJhBvAm :)

Great story, Leccy! It is quite interesting that so many users are in need to mod their versions of Vado SL for such different reasons!

I admit my choice of the SL 4.0 EQ was dictated (among other factors) by lower future maintenance cost as I used to own a 12-speed 10-51t e-MTB and it cost me a lot with all the repairs etc. More modest version of the SL allowed me to use money saved on several important upgrades. For instance, I replaced the 11-42t 10-spd cassette with 11-36t for better gear spread (and I'm riding in a flatland).

Did you have any choice to buy 4.0 instead of 5.0?

Last edited:
Thanks Stefan, I see the Vado SL in the USA is assisted up to 28mph compared to our 15.5mph. Based on 28mph I can see the stock gearing would work well, but for my legs and local terrain the small rear cogs were not being used. As you say, we often need to mod to suit!

I confess I did not assess the replacement part costs when ordering the 5.0. Slightly embarrassingly the brushed aluminium finish was probably the main reason I ordered the 5.0! 🤣 It does look smart, but not in a flashy way, quite understated. I did not want the EQ version as a friend has a Vado and I'd seen that the pannier rack is quite small and doesn't suit their bag, so I wouldn't have used it, I have fitted 3rd party mudguards though as the bike is mainly for commuting.

Thinking back, the Future Shock was a big factor for the 5.0 too as the roads are rough here. At that time I was unaware of Redshift.

I ordered the 5.0 last summer before all of the price increases, I certainly would not pay what thay are selling the 5.0 for now.

In hindsight, knowing what I know now (partly thanks to this forum 👍) I would have done the same as you and gone for the 4.0 with plans to upgrade certain parts. I almost cancelled the order on the 5.0 once I'd discovered details of the Redshift stem, but by that time I'd already been waiting for months and suddenly the bike finally arrived into the dealer anyway. If I was buying again I'd definitely get the 4.0.

Having said that I am impressed with the Future Shock / carbon fork combo. They are my first carbon forks, so not sure how much they add to ride comfort compared to aluminium (I've seen that you aren't a fan of carbon as a material though!). Overall the front end is smooth and irons out the bumps nicely. I don't have any regrets with the 5.0...as long as I don't look at my bank balance!

Having said that I am impressed with the Future Shock / carbon fork combo. They are my first carbon forks, so not sure how much they add to ride comfort compared to aluminium (I've seen that you aren't a fan of carbon as a material though!). Overall the front end is smooth and irons out the bumps nicely.
And just to think our friend @GuruUno here is dissatisfied with the front-end of his SL 5.0 :)

Stefan doesn't like carbon forks because his bike doesn't have them :). Actually they have been pretty much a standard on road bikes for a long time and even my low end $800 aluminum Sequoia road bike had carbon forks in 2007. They have a bit more give than rigid aluminum forks and smooth out some of the "buzz" that you can get from chip-seal and similar rough-textured roads. There's also some weight savings. I am looking forward to the carbon forks plus FutureShock on the 5.0.

Stefan doesn't like carbon forks because his bike doesn't have them :). Actually they have been pretty much a standard on road bikes for a long time and even my low end $800 aluminum Sequoia road bike had carbon forks in 2007. They have a bit more give than rigid aluminum forks and smooth out some of the "buzz" that you can get from chip-seal and similar rough-textured roads. There's also some weight savings. I am looking forward to the carbon forks plus FutureShock on the 5.0.
  • "I'm allergic to carbon fibre"
  • "My religion specifically forbids me from using carbon-fibre-ware"
Choose one :D

And just to think our friend @GuruUno here is dissatisfied with the front-end of his SL 5.0 :)
I'm not crazy about carbon forks either. I've had 2 previous Trek's with them and now the one on the new SL 5.0, as it does not make a difference to me. The only reason I have it now is that it came with the bike. If it were me I'd opt for a similar fork that is on the Vado 5 I've had for a year. Love it in conjunction with the Kinekt Suspension Stem.
So, day 4 with the new SL 5.0 and getting ready to order parts to make it more comfortable.
Spoke with Kinekt, they will drill the hole in their Kinekt seat post for me and I'll use a rubber grommet in that hole to route the wire through to use the under seat-mounted light. Probably 1/4". If the comfort of the OEM seat is still unbearable, I'll get another one like on the Turbo Vado 5 (Selle SMP Avant Saddle) and retrofit the light (I hope).
Also going to get the suspension stem (30°) to mount on the existing Future Shock stem. I have the same Kinekt 30° suspension stem on the Vado 5 with the OEM fork and it is super plush absorbing. The Future Shock stem to me is not very helpful and I compare it to my other bike which is a pleasure to take bumps.
That leaves the handlebars. On the Vado 5 (the "Big Boy), I changed the handlebars to Como handlebars and it is day and night, much improved. I'd like to parallel that with the new Vado SL 5.0, however, I see Voltman99 shows his handlebars on his SL which seem to be just what I'd like for mine, but not sure if I need to order 6, 6.5, or 7-inch version, not knowing what the differences are. (Box One Alloy Triple Taper Handlebar ).

@GuruUno: Although I love some of your mods, please don't:
  • Place another shock absorber on the top of an existing one. I had a talk with an experienced stress analyst who specializes in vibration. He showed to me an excerpt from a monograph on vibration, clearly demonstrating you are about to create an unstable system prone to harmonic resonance that might not only amplify the vibration but even break your system if you are unlucky;
  • Redshift clearly define the ShockStop stem is not to be used with curved handlebars.
You have been warned.

Huge usage in the UK too. Originates from their term “braces” for britches suspenders I think.

@Art Deco - does Pennsylvania Dutch include York?
The farming area around York at least. One farm looks a lot like another. Unless they are using horses instead of tractors, it's hard to tell.
Yes, braces = suspenders.

The farming area around York at least. One farm looks a lot like another. Unless they are using horses instead of tractors, it's hard to tell.
Yes, braces = suspenders.
Interesting. The earliest known born American in my family line was born in York in 1774, parents were immigrants from Brunswick (now Germany). The family ran a cigar factory there for nearly a century before moving to Baltimore. I think I’ll visit there on our next trip to America. After the pandemic, if it ever ends 😬😁

Lots of history in this part of USA. One of my favorite watering holes (Penns Tavern) was built when this was the extreme western edge of the British empire in the mid 1700s.

1628349404975.png

This is a photo of today published by a guy who had a crash on a bike path. Yes, you read it correctly: on a bike path. The good CF frame went to waste. I really didn't want something like that happened to the fork of my SL. I could afford the carbon fork but only once.

View attachment 95686
This is a photo of today published by a guy who had a crash on a bike path. Yes, you read it correctly: on a bike path. The good CF frame went to waste. I really didn't want something like that happened to the fork of my SL. I could afford the carbon fork but only once.
Aluminum might not take such a beating well either. And in a fork, it might be toast bent aluminum can't be easily bent back into shape - steel on the other hand can be forced back into shape.

Aluminum might not take such a beating well either. And in a fork, it might be toast bent aluminum can't be easily bent back into shape - steel on the other hand can be forced back into shape.
An aluminium replacement fork is far cheaper.

Back