Vado SL 4.0 EQ Tubeless Setup?

anandman

Does anyone know if the rims on the Vado SL 4.0 EQ are tubeless compatible? I’m having a bike built up at an LBS and they aren’t sure and are checking with Specialized.

Alas, no dice. The way those wheels are built, they can’t be sealed with just rim tape. Apparently only the 5.0 wheels are tubeless ready (and they’re pre-taped).

Just to follow up, in case anyone wants to know, the tubeless conversion on my 2021 Vado SL 5.0 went smoothly. Easiest conversion I’ve done.
Can you tell us what all you purchased? I just bought a Vado sl step through and have an appointment to add mr tuffy and new tires. I would go straight to tubeless if it’s within my reach.

LBS taped rim and put on tubeless tires. Perfect
Bumping this, even though it's been four months.

Are you saying your LBS converted your stock wheels to tubeless? While it's true that a lot of rims that are not officially "tubeless ready" can be made tubeless with the right rim strip, gumption/skill, and having at least X amount of PSI in the tires all the time to avoid burping, I never considered it on the Specialized 700c rims, and never came across anyone who considered it, or attempted it.

The DT R500's that come on the 5.0 can be converted to Tubeless. But those aren't the same wheels that come stock on the 4.0.

Of course, if someone really wanted optimum wheel performance, on any Vado SL, the C38 carbon wheels would make the bike fly. https://www.specialized.com/us/en/r...897?color=320821-199897&searchText=30021-4400

I don’t think there was any complications for LBS to mount tubeless. I ride Specialized trigger pro and WTBs 44c for gravel for 1 1/2 years. No problems

Came across another person (on another forum) who converted these to tubeless. It's certainly not something Specialized approved. It may not even be recommended by most mechanics, but apparently people are doing it successfully. YMMV.

I tried it as well wit a good rim 23mm tape and it looses air in minutes, in both tires, I can maxmium do a 30minutes ride. I'm not an expert but with quite some experience in tubeless with many wheels&rims&tires and I never had a wheel/a rim less working, even the cheapest rim 4 years ago with "Tesafilm tape" worked better.
Maybe there are differences in the rims over the years? My Vado SL is an EQ from 2020.

I tried it as well wit a good rim 23mm tape and it looses air in minutes, in both tires, I can maxmium do a 30minutes ride. I'm not an expert but with quite some experience in tubeless with many wheels&rims&tires and I never had a wheel/a rim less working, even the cheapest rim 4 years ago with "Tesafilm tape" worked better.
Maybe there are differences in the rims over the years? My Vado SL is an EQ from 2020.
I have the non eq version but they should be the same wheels. I am bike mechanic and been doing this for years I used Whisky tape which I love for tubeless setups but any tape will work. Stay away from the specialized tubeless rim strip they work but not the greatest. I haven’t had any issues with loosing air, have gone thru my first set of tires and swapped out with no problems. All I can say is make sure there is no tape residue left on the wheel when Installing the new tape use rubbing alcohol to clean the wheel

According to the Specialized support page all Vado SL model rims are tubeless ready.

https://support.specialized.com/vado-sl/en/setup/tire-pressure-tubeless-conversion

Tubeless conversion
Many riders chose to convert their tires to tubeless to reduce pinch flats. Tubeless tires allow riders to use lower inflation pressure without the risk of damaging a tube from impacts. All Vado SL models are equipped with tubeless-compatible rims. Ensure that the tires on your model are also tubeless compatible before proceeding. For more information, see our Tubeless Conversion page.

Last edited:
Back