Vado SL 12v car charger

Thanks “Richard”. send me your mail address and I’ll post a Merit Badge.
When I sent TS25 my mail address, he indeed helped me. Physically. That makes a big difference between him and you, Thomas.
Cannot resist asking you when you plan to purchase a Specialized e-bike, an SL at best? (see the thread title).
Please stop posting off-topic.

FWIW I’d opt for a Satiato. 12v - 60v, 12, 24, 36, 48, and 52v batteries all in one charger.
You're completely OT in this point, too.
The Grin cycle Satiator (model CG306-4808, specified for 24-48V only) needs AC input 100 -240V but doesn't work on 12V input as requested.
And there is no Satiator model for the complete range 12V -60V.

You're completely OT in this point, too.
The Grin cycle Satiator (model CG306-4808, specified for 24-48V only) needs AC input 100 -240V but doesn't work on 12V input as requested.
And there is no Satiator model for the complete range 12V -60V.
And there is no Specialized SL adapter available.

Satiator 4808:
1644331317866.png

Thread title:

Vado SL 12v car charger​

You’re right it’s 12-63v. Use custom profiles!

Basic Range Parameters: 4808
Full Volts 12-63V Bulk Amps 0.2-8.0A*
Q Can this charge a 12v auto battery? Lowest output voltage is 24v but I'm not an expert.

A by Grin Technologies Ltd.:
Yes it can be set to charge a 12V automotive battery too, although the charger electronics are not as efficient since the power circuitry was optimized for a higher voltage output range. We do produce a separate 12-24V 15 amp Satiator that is optimized for lower voltage packs and a higher charge current, but it won't work on 36V or 48V batteries like this model.

So I stick to what I've written in #22: there is no Satiator model for the complete range 12V -60V. Yes, you could use it for 12V, but it's not build for 12V.

But you're still missing my main point: the Satiator doesn't work on 12V input which is what the OP was asking for.
Sit down, failed. Repeat reading. Ever heard about the difference between input and output?

Last edited:
Yup, recharging an e-bike battery while out on vacation can be an issue. The Creo complicates this since it's battery is internal - meaning the bike and battery have to be near the wall outlet. We had to change plans for a trip since the nice hotel's room was on the second floor (no elevator) and carrying the Creo up the narrow stairs into the narrow corridor was a NO-NO. And leaving the Creo in the entry corridor without security was also a NO-NO. The other hotel was perfect - two small steps into the room. But then picture a potentially muddy, wet bike.... Oh, well, don't since I don't like riding in this conditions anyway. :eek:

One might say that the Powerbutler, which is a 12 -> 36 V inverter would be far more efficient than a 12 -> 230 V one with further conversion from 230 down to 36 V. But I'm dumb.
Still neither of these solutions can serve SL e-bikes (Powerbutler promise a solution in some future).

Yup, recharging an e-bike battery while out on vacation can be an issue. The Creo complicates this since it's battery is internal - meaning the bike and battery have to be near the wall outlet. We had to change plans for a trip since the nice hotel's room was on the second floor (no elevator) and carrying the Creo up the narrow stairs into the narrow corridor was a NO-NO. And leaving the Creo in the entry corridor without security was also a NO-NO. The other hotel was perfect - two small steps into the room. But then picture a potentially muddy, wet bike.... Oh, well, don't since I don't like riding in this conditions anyway. :eek:
Guess why my heavy Vado 5.0 is my vacation e-bike :) (Because the battery is removable there, and I use two of them).

One might say that the Powerbutler, which is a 12 -> 36 V inverter would be far more efficient than a 12 -> 230 V one with further conversion from 230 down to 36 V.
But I'm dumb.
Still neither of these solutions can serve SL e-bikes (Powerbutler promise a solution in some future).
😊
I'll report as soon as Powerbutler has answered my request if a 48V solution is coming.

@TS25: These pictures might be interesting to you.

The charger plug looks simple while the charging SL socket is quite sophisticated. It is because you can connect the Range Extender battery to that socket, and the RE pins are organized differently.

There's also some specialty when you are charging the main and RE batteries in parallel. SL Y-cable is used. The inlet of the Y-cable is just connected to the regular SBC-C06 charger output plug. Then, you connect one of the plugs of the Y-cable to the main charging socket, and another plug to the input socket of the RE. The system will only start charging when both plugs are connected properly. Finally, the charging current is reduced the way the 160 W Range Extender gets the full charge over 3 hours 20 minutes, and the same time is necessary for the main battery to charge from 5 to 100%. The intention is not to pass too high charging current through the Range Extender.

If only main battery is connected by the simple plug, the charging of the main 320 Wh battery takes 2 h 35 minutes. If you only connect the Range Extender, the full charge takes 3 h 20 minutes.

Hope that helps!

Attachments

• Specialized SL charger SBC-C06 (1 of 4).jpg
    Specialized SL charger SBC-C06 (1 of 4).jpg
    840.6 KB · Views: 168
  • Specialized SL charger SBC-C06 (2 of 4).jpg
    Specialized SL charger SBC-C06 (2 of 4).jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 156
  • Specialized SL charger SBC-C06 (3 of 4).jpg
    Specialized SL charger SBC-C06 (3 of 4).jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 156
  • Specialized SL charger SBC-C06 (4 of 4).jpg
    Specialized SL charger SBC-C06 (4 of 4).jpg
    530.1 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
😊
I'll report as soon as Powerbutler has answered my request if a 48V solution is coming.

Powerbutler has answered that they are working on a 48V solution which could enter the market in the 2nd half of 2022.
I have sent them @Stefan Mikes pictures so they do not forget the Specialized SL adapter 😉

Did you get any answer? 2022 is almost finished. I am very interested in a Powerbutler for the 48V system.

Did you get any answer? 2022 is almost finished. I am very interested in a Powerbutler for the 48V system.
I reported Powerbutler's answer in #31.
Please contact Powerbutler directly (#3) to show them that there are (more) possible customers.

I reported Powerbutler's answer in #31.
Please contact Powerbutler directly (#3) to show them that there are (more) possible customers.
I contacted Powerbutler directly. Let's see.

Back