Vado 5 SL Tyre Conundrum

HappyGrandpa

Region
United Kingdom
I posted a question on FB recently about mud and debris getting wedged between the front tyre and mudguard on my Vado 5 SL EQ. Apparently the Nimbus Sport tyres fitted to the bike are quite sticky and tend to pick up stuff, which then builds up. Several have recommended that I change the tyres for Pathfinder Pros , which I am told have less rolling resistance and generally superior to the Nimbus tyres. Problem is the Pathfinder Pro tyres are out of stock on the Specialized website. Can anyone suggest an good alternative to the Pathfinder Pros

I posted a question on FB recently about mud and debris getting wedged between the front tyre and mudguard on my Vado 5 SL EQ. Apparently the Nimbus Sport tyres fitted to the bike are quite sticky and tend to pick up stuff, which then builds up. Several have recommended that I change the tyres for Pathfinder Pros , which I am told have less rolling resistance and generally superior to the Nimbus tyres. Problem is the Pathfinder Pro tyres are out of stock on the Specialized website. Can anyone suggest an good alternative to the Pathfinder Pros
You could find any proper 38-622 (700 x 38c) tyres such as Panaracer Gravelking or Schwalbe G-One. The culprit here is the design of the mudguards, especially of the front one.

Not sure if I could recommend it to you but it is what I did (not only installing Pathfinders Pro). I simply removed the front mudguard and replaced it with an AssSaver. The latter is a temporary "blade" mudguard installed with zip-ties. Since then, I have been able to zoom forest paths involving mud and twigs, and the front AssSaver proved to be effective in the rain or during crossing a ford, too! I do not intend reinstalling the front mudguard as long as the AssSaver protects me well, and yes it does!

No issues with the rear mudguard!

My main complaints about the Nimbus are the weight (together with 213g tube!) and the dangerous profile for unpaved paths (wet or dry, both are terrible with the Nimbus). It's a pure and heavy road tire but not an allrounder.

You could find any proper 38-622 (700 x 38c) tyres such as Panaracer Gravelking or Schwalbe G-One. The culprit here is the design of the mudguards, especially of the front one.
G-One Allround is good&fast but the profile is gone in a few hundres miles. Also puncturce restinace is not very big.
Panaracer Gravelking should be the "SK" version which is kind of "allround". There are other versions oft the Gravelking which are faster but with less profile, less suited for allround usage/tours.
Another very good allrounder is Tufo Thundero.
If you have the Vado SL 5.0. you should think about going tubeless. The rims and alle these tires (apart from the Nimbus) are suitable for it and it has many advantages (comfort, rolling resistance, puncture resistance offorad. grip, weight).

Thank you everyone for all your very helpful and wise advice, which I carefully considered. I think I am going to go tubeless, because they offer so many advantages.

can you use the Panaracer Gravelking sk tires with fenders that come on SL. 4.0 Eq

Back