Vado 4.0 Quit on Me

rochrunner

Region
USA
City
Rochester Hills MI
Well, it only took until the third ride to run into a problem :mad:. I was 15 miles into my ride, went to switch up from Eco to Sport, and the boost disappeared completely. It happened at an inconvenient place and I had to pedal hard to get to my turnoff before I could come to a stop. After verifying that none of the assist modes were working although the display was still operational, I turned off the battery, turned it back on, and after the usual initialization everything was functional again.

At least it recovered, but my confidence in the bike took a definite hit, and of course I can't get it back to the bike shop at this time, assuming they could do something anyway.

Any experience here with something like this?

Yep, happened to me 10 miles into a 20 mile loop through town. Same solution, turn off the battery, wait a bit, and turn it back on. The rest of the ride was uneventful. When I got home I used a plastic friendly electrical contact cleaner to clean both the battery contacts and frame-mounted contacts, mounting the bike in the stand past 90 degrees so any extra contact cleaner spray would drip out. Hasn't been a problem since. I believe others have reported the same symptoms and power on/off field fix.

If you’re using Mission Control, under the Diagnose option there is an Advanced option that will send your error log to Specialized. Your dealer can then contact them and receive the error and possible solutions. That would be your best option if you can’t get the bike to your dealer.

I had motor errors on my Creo so my dealer contacted Specialized and they sent a new motor. The new motor gave the same error so Specialized sent me a new bike. No problems (so far) with the new one.

If you’re using Mission Control, under the Diagnose option there is an Advanced option that will send your error log to Specialized. Your dealer can then contact them and receive the error and possible solutions. That would be your best option if you can’t get the bike to your dealer.

I had motor errors on my Creo so my dealer contacted Specialized and they sent a new motor. The new motor gave the same error so Specialized sent me a new bike. No problems (so far) with the new one.
Thanks! I'll take a look at that. Does my dealer then have to make the initial contact with them to get the ball rolling?

Thanks! I'll take a look at that. Does my dealer then have to make the initial contact with them to get the ball rolling?
JMO but I think they are making things way to complex. Yeah it's nice If Specialize can fix the signal from The Home Starship : But That makes it just like Comcast : WHICH occasionally has to be rebooted: Why do you need all of that to go faster ?

Specialized will use the data to update mission control program for everyone, if something needs changing. I would assume similar to plugging your car in at a dealership and they collect the data from thousands of cars. They will also determine from the data if your specific bike needs a component change, just like StmbtDave. They need to be apprised of situations so they can keep customers happy and on the road.

Yes, once you transmit your error log to Specialized, your dealer contacts Specialized. Your dealer will then tell you what you need to do.

I'll be uploading my error log through the app before bringing my Vado in for it's annual / pre-trip check-up. Thanks for the suggestion!

Just had a loss of power halfway round a 20 mile loop today - luckily I had read this thread, and the SOP worked :). I have uploaded my error report to Specialized.

the SOP worked
The SOP?

Besides, the new TCD-W conversion set for my Vado is in shipment to the Warsaw Specialized LBS from The Netherlands. The high time since the BLOKS display hanged as many as four times on my last 91 km ride... The dealer mentions no cost; that would hopefully be a free upgrade. I will take the opportunity to make the warranty review of my Vado.

Same happened to me. I cleaned my battery and frame mounted contacts with this 'plastic friendly' contact spray after getting home. Hasn't happened since. Cleaned the same on my wife's Vado as a 'preemptive strike'.

0309201133_Film1.jpg

I wonder if we are doing something that we shouldn’t be doing (wrong gear, wrong assist mode, wrong cadence,....) as most of us having issue with the motor not responding/assisting at times (surging) which either requires turning the motor off and then on or the issue goes away on its own with pedaling.
it is puzzling that a good motor such as Brose is giving lots of people this kind of issue. Specialized must have heard this loud and clear and am wondering if they are talking to Brose about this.

It is not about the motor. Mine never does such tricks. The gremlins are in the electronics or electricals.

It's reported as a 'motor error' but could be a combination of things; contaminated contacts, firmware, a communiaction problem with the motor or battery, or a real motor issue. Hard to tell. I like starting with the easiest to address possibility, contaminated contacts. So far, so good. I have sent Specialized my error log and will bring it up to the LBS at the 1 year tune up, if we can ever leave the house!

Back