Vado 4.0 2020 rear derailleur shifter

RobEich

On the weekend I was carrying a bag on my rear rack tied down with a bungee cord. I hit a bump and the bungee came loose and got caught in my rear wheel and tangled in the rear cassette. When this happened I hit the brakes hard to stop the rear wheel as quick as possible. I removed the bungee and the bike seems to be just fine. The only thing I notice is that the shifter lever seems to be very close to the cassette. I did not take note of the setup before I had the issue.

Could I please ask someone who has the same bike as me to take a look at their setup and let me know if it's as close to the cassette as mine.

Attachments

• IMG_1228 (1).jpeg
    IMG_1228 (1).jpeg
    136.4 KB · Views: 360
On the weekend I was carrying a bag on my rear rack tied down with a bungee cord. I hit a bump and the bungee came loose and got caught in my rear wheel and tangled in the rear cassette. When this happened I hit the brakes hard to stop the rear wheel as quick as possible. I removed the bungee and the bike seems to be just fine. The only thing I notice is that the shifter lever seems to be very close to the cassette. I did not take note of the setup before I had the issue.

Could I please ask someone who has the same bike as me to take a look at their setup and let me know if it's as close to the cassette as mine.

Can you take a picture directly behind the derailleur? You may have bent the derailleur hanger. It's a part designed to fail and be replaced so you don't mess up the frame or rear derailleur.

Get rid of those bungees! What rear bags are you usuing? The Ortlieb E-Mate has been serving us well.

Can you take a picture directly behind the derailleur? You may have bent the derailleur hanger. It's a part designed to fail and be replaced so you don't mess up the frame or rear derailleur.

Get rid of those bungees! What rear bags are you usuing? The Ortlieb E-Mate has been serving us well.
Hi Brendon - here are a few photos

Attachments

• 5522B044-0098-4911-98F8-012877B1E0A5.jpeg
    5522B044-0098-4911-98F8-012877B1E0A5.jpeg
    225.9 KB · Views: 377
  • 44E79B8C-8D9F-4734-9E67-C0E11012694F.jpeg
    44E79B8C-8D9F-4734-9E67-C0E11012694F.jpeg
    305.6 KB · Views: 358
  • 75F38DE8-417D-4760-B3C0-2E0ACC07A1BA.jpeg
    75F38DE8-417D-4760-B3C0-2E0ACC07A1BA.jpeg
    207.8 KB · Views: 366
  • 220A5E1D-12CD-4CFF-BA00-CA9AFE24586B.jpeg
    220A5E1D-12CD-4CFF-BA00-CA9AFE24586B.jpeg
    356.9 KB · Views: 334
Thanks Brendon.

As far as bags are concerned, I have a RackTime Talis Plus trunk bag. What I was carrying did not fit in the trunk bag (height) to let me zipper it closed. I used the bungee to hold the trunk bag top down. I find this bag quite easy get on and off the bike but limited in what it can carry. I guess it's time to look at panniers. I like the Ortlieb products.

Thanks Brendon.

As far as bags are concerned, I have a RackTime Talis Plus trunk bag. What I was carrying did not fit in the trunk bag (height) to let me zipper it closed. I used the bungee to hold the trunk bag top down. I find this bag quite easy get on and off the bike but limited in what it can carry. I guess it's time to look at panniers. I like the Ortlieb products.
I, for one, can highly recommend the Ortlieb panniers. At 20L each a pair of the Ortlieb Classics carry a lot of stuff.

It is still hard to tell from the pics what if anything might be damaged. It appears the hanger is straight, but in a couple of photos the derailleur pulleys looks slightly out of alignment. But that could easily be the angle of your pic or lens distortion. It also looks like the high limit screw is too loose, but again, it could be just the angle of your photos.

It is still hard to tell from the pics what if anything might be damaged. It appears the hanger is straight, but in a couple of photos the derailleur pulleys looks slightly out of alignment. But that could easily be the angle of your pic or lens distortion. It also looks like the high limit screw is too loose, but again, it could be just the angle of your photos.

Very unlikely that the limit screws were messed with regarding the bungee. Could happen but slim chance. The hanger is designed to fail so as to save the derailleur. If the derailleur isn't straight (the photos aren't totally correct) then chances are it's the hanger.

Very unlikely that the limit screws were messed with regarding the bungee. Could happen but slim chance.

I realize a flailing bungee cord would not cause a limit screw to go out, but that does not mean it was properly set in the first place.

The hanger is designed to fail so as to save the derailleur. If the derailleur isn't straight (the photos aren't totally correct) then chances are it's the hanger.

Yes, that is what a hanger is supposed to do, but in an accident, things don't always go to plan.

I realize a flailing bungee cord would not cause a limit screw to go out, but that does not mean it was properly set in the first place.

Yes, that is what a hanger is supposed to do, but in an accident, things don't always go to plan.

Fair enough, merely pointing out that the softer cast aluminum of the hanger is a heck of a lot less robust than the stamped steel of the derailleur pulley wheel cage, or the entire mechanism itself.

Since OP said it never went into the spokes, chances are that the hanger is the culprit if anything. That said, nothing we say on this forum is going to "fix" or "diagnose" anything without getting hands on it.

Back