Vado 3.0 mysterious mechanical clunking problem

The problem has returned!
After some miles on the new small sprocket, now the two smallest sprockets exhibit the problem. So, it sure looks like a component mismatch or design flaw, given how many others are reporting the same issue.
I've contacted my bike shop and asked them to contact Specialized to see what they want to do about it.
I wouldn't mind ending up with a faster top gear, though I don't know what's possible in that regard.

I've got the same problem. Bought my bike (turbo vado 4.0) in november 2017. When I've cleaned and greased the chain well, there's no problem, but especially when it rains, after 2 days the chain skips regularly a tooth or something like that. Always in the highest gear. It starts with once in a few kilometres some days later it is every few metres in such a way that I don't dare driving any further in highest gear. The specialized shop changed the chain a few times and in the end I got a new chain and casette. Then there was a long dry period and I had no problems whatsoever. Now there's a longer period of wet days and the problem starts alover again. The shop (a so called Specialized Concept Store in the Netherlands) got in touch with Specialized Netherlands, but they refused to acknowledge there is a problem with the bike.
Beside this problem I love the bike, but because of this problem I and the way Specialized is handling this I now know my next bike will be from a different brand.

Thanks very much, great tip. I ordered the chain ring used for the Vado 6.0 which is 48t.
Hopefully that will work for you. I LOVE the gears on my 6.0. And the stunningly quiet Brose motor.

I've got the same problem. Bought my bike (turbo vado 4.0) in november 2017. When I've cleaned and greased the chain well, there's no problem, but especially when it rains, after 2 days the chain skips regularly a tooth or something like that. Always in the highest gear. It starts with once in a few kilometres some days later it is every few metres in such a way that I don't dare driving any further in highest gear. The specialized shop changed the chain a few times and in the end I got a new chain and casette. Then there was a long dry period and I had no problems whatsoever. Now there's a longer period of wet days and the problem starts alover again. The shop (a so called Specialized Concept Store in the Netherlands) got in touch with Specialized Netherlands, but they refused to acknowledge there is a problem with the bike.
Beside this problem I love the bike, but because of this problem I and the way Specialized is handling this I now know my next bike will be from a different brand.
Have you been able to resolve the problem? We have Como 4.0 ebikes that are less than a month old that have the same issue.

Have you been able to resolve the problem? We have Como 4.0 ebikes that are less than a month old that have the same issue.
I think the problem is solved. The chainring is replaced with a bigger one (Vado 6) and there’s a different casette and chain installed. About the casette; the difference between shifts is smaller. That supposedly makes the bike a bit less suitable for driving in rough terrain conditions. That’s no problem for me because I use my bike for commuting. I now use much more different gears and the problem with skipping teeths hasn’t shown since (4 months).
Btw. hope you understand my writing, as you can see English is not my native language.

Reactions: SFJ
Back