V Style Ramp for 1UP hitch rack

kneebenderbiker

Region
USA
Hello, Anyone using the V Style Ramp accessory for the 1UP rack? Curious to hear user experiences.

I've had the 1UP single super duty for about 3 years and I like it a lot. It held my analog bike in place over some rough terrain while out in the back country. I recently purchased a Zen Samurai and this rack works pretty well. I can get the 65lb +/- bike mounted on the rack but think I might like to get the ramp. It looks easy to use but a bit of a PITA.

Rack is mounted to my 4runner, tray is about 27" off the ground. With the Samurai loaded it's tough to lower the rack (heavy) enabling me to open the rear hatch so stowing it means remounting it or using a side door to put it into the truck - not that big of a deal - it's just one more thing to deal with.

Any thoughts? $120 + tax is a small amount to pay if it saves my back but too much if I end up not using it.

Thanks in advance.

I've got one I don't use that I'd sell to you. I'm in NorCal.

It's OK for one bike if you're willing to remove and reinstall the lynch pins necessary to swing the rack's hold-down out of the way to use the ramp.

But, the killer for me is that once you have one bike on, you can't really use the ramp for the second bike since the first bike up there gets in the way.

Thanks for that info. Good point about the second ramp, I wasn't aware of that. Your offer to sell, more or less, confirms my opinion that it' kind of a pain.

Thanks for that info. Good point about the second ramp, I wasn't aware of that. Your offer to sell, more or less, confirms my opinion that it' kind of a pain.
Yeah, for one bike it’s ok - not two.
But note the ramp does easily bolt to the rack for transport so you don’t need to find a place to stow it.

Attaching to the rack for transport does look easy in the info video on the website. So far I haven't had any trouble mounting the bike with out a ramp and I'm not convinced I want one yet.
I lived in SF for a number of years but live in MN now.

Attaching to the rack for transport does look easy in the info video on the website. So far I haven't had any trouble mounting the bike with out a ramp and I'm not convinced I want one yet.
I lived in SF for a number of years but live in MN now.
I would tend to agree. I personally find lifting the bikes on and off of the rack is far easier and quicker. By the time it takes me to attach the ramp, I could have two bikes in place on the rack. In hindsight, I wish I wouldn’t have purchased it.

Appreciate your input, Prairie Dog, thanks. I'm already dealing with a bunch of stuff - helmet, goggles, water, remembering the Kiox, gloves, backpack, chain - Plus I have a dog trailer so if it's an outing with my dog it's even more stuff. Since I don't have trouble getting the bike onto the rack I'm inclined to skip getting a ramp. One less thing to do/deal with.

I did see a video Court posted of a method he demonstrated on his dad's vehicle: lift the front tire on first and then the back tire. I think this would work well on the 1UP since the bent arm can hold the front tire in place while the back end of the bike gets lifted up. Maybe I'll try that next time I go out.

Last edited:
I did see a video Court posted of a method he demonstrated on his dad's vehicle: lift the front tire on first and then the back tire. I think this would work well on the 1UP since the bent arm can hold the front tire in place while the back end of the bike gets lifted up. Maybe I'll try that next time I go out.
That's a good video. I've been doing that long before I saw the video though. The method works. No idea how much trouble the ramp would be, but from what others are saying, it seems worth skipping.

TT

Back