Using a Thule EasyFold rack with a swing away attachment

I have no actual experience with this, but I have a Kuat Pivot Pro rack and considered purchasing a swing away unit. I see no reason the swing away should be considered to be brand-specific. The only thing I’d point out is how far the rack extends from the vehicle when this is added. If I’m understanding the dimensions clearly, it adds an extra 16 7/8 inches.

Bump. I have a Kuat Pivot V2 and am interested in the Thule EasyFold XT rack. I was told by eTrailer that the 2 cannot be used together, so would love to get more ideas on this.

Last edited:
Bump. I have a Kuat Pivot V2 and am interested in the Thule EasyFold XT rack. I was told by eTrailer that the 2 cannot be used together, so would live to get more ideas on this.
Easyfold drops down for access to SUV or wagon trunk. Not sure how it would interact with pickup tailgate. Why not ask shop to test it before you buy. Make sure you inner bike on rack.

Yes, we are aware that the rack drops down, but the swingaway makes it much easier to get bikes out of the way when getting dogs and their supplies in and out of the car. I cannot afford to have one injured, or myself when wrangling them! I think I’ll have to simply purchase the rack someplace local that allows returns, such as REI, to see for myself.

I would be worried about swing arm exrension carrying extra weight of ebikes. Even through its not extended there are still few extra pivot points in between hitch and rack which could fail it not design for extra stresses when travelling. This maybe why Thule discontinued these.

For sure a consideration, but the devices have specific stated weight limits that should take this into account. Likewise a rule of thumb is to reduce your vehicle's hitch capacity (tongue weight) by 50% when you use such adapters.

I already own the Kuat Pivot v2 - just trying to figure out why it should be incompatible with the EasyFold XT. Figured there would be quite a few EasyFold owners on this board, and some of them may use it with a swing adapter.

I already own the Kuat Pivot v2 - just trying to figure out why it should be incompatible with the EasyFold XT. Figured there would be quite a few EasyFold owners on this board, and some of them may use it with a swing adapter.
My bad. I should have made it more clear that I was responding to the OP but then noticed the date of his post. Hope that you find a solution to your issue with the Kuat and the Easyfold.

For sure a consideration, but the devices have specific stated weight limits that should take this into account. Likewise a rule of thumb is to reduce your vehicle's hitch capacity (tongue weight) by 50% when you use such adapters.
Yeah, I've seen that general guideline. The reading I've done on hitches makes me think that we're over-estimating the vertical load that can be applied via a bike rack to most hitches. Here's a thread of interest:

Basically, tongue weight ratings are measured at the ball of a typical towing setup, and that ball is pretty close to the hitch mount itself. As you mount multiple bikes, and add things like swing-away extenders, the center of mass gets located further and further away from the hitch mount, which applies a larger torque for the same weight. I've seen hitches that have snap-on brackets that are rated 500 lbs tonque weight but for bicycles the manufacturer says only 125 lbs max for rack plus bikes. My guess is that leverage is the reason why.

Last edited:
Back