Using a Powerfully 5 for Commuting & Touring & some off-road

Is there an eBike like this ePolice with a 28mph Brose ?
* Light Off Road Capable
* On Board Light(s)
* Suspension Fork
* 29er Tires
* Rack(s)

Thanks .
Just curious , which would you choose ?
I think the Brose may be a bit better of a hill climber ?

By the way , just contacted Trek online support , they insist ePolice does not come stock with integrated front light .

Thanks .
Just curious , which would you choose ?
I think the Brose may be a bit better of a hill climber ?

By the way , just contacted Trek online support , they insist ePolice does not come stock with integrated front light .

I could only share what was shown in the pics and webpages. They do update the specs from year to year.
They have even dropped the price by $200 across the board.

I still think ePolice is a good bike. Just add some fenders and Supernova M99 lights, it will be a fine, versatile bike.

Climbing depends a lot on the terrain, your own capabilities and riding style. We are splitting hairs here if your purpose is 80% commute+20% off road.

just contacted Trek online support , they insist ePolice does not come stock with integrated front light .

Perhaps it does not have an integrated light because each jurisdiction may have their own specific requirements for lights. Here in my area, I have worked on county police bikes, and they have special lights (including red and blue strobing lights) along with a horn/siren.

Still , would be nice if the civilian model had an integrated light or option to install an "integrated" vs. an aftermarket .

I reposted what Ravi posted in another thread .
Both my dealer and Trek online support said there is no onboard lighting .
I'll be at my local Trek dealer in the coming days and will report back .
I did read on Trek.com that printed specs are subject to change !

e-boy-I really like this bike also. There was another dealer selling it with lower end components. My Trek dealer has verified that the listed components on their website do in fact come on the bike when ordered. Are you going to try and get a test ride or thinking about purchasing?
Thanks!

Think about buying , I've tested it , but want to test again .
Like every bike , there's + and - 's .
You can ask any questions , but ultimately , you have to ride the bike for yourself in your environment .

Think about buying , I've tested it , but want to test again .
Like every bike , there's + and - 's .
You can ask any questions , but ultimately , you have to ride the bike for yourself in your environment .

e-boy-Great!
  • What kind of terrain did you ride on?
  • Were you able to reach 28mph quickly? I rode the Super Commuter8 and the motor quickly reached that speed (is a bit heavier bike).
  • Did you like the overall build quality?
  • The buttons on the Purion interface may be a little flaky. Were they responsive when changing between PAS modes?
  • It has the M6000 Shadow+ groupset. Was the gear shifting smooth or more clunky?
Unfortunately I have been unable to find as a stocked item locally, so at this point I cannot test ride.Thanks in advance.

I don't recall what your looking for in an ebike , but if your looking for a commuter on paved roads , and no off road , I would forget all the mid-drives and go for a rear hub drive !
Today after test riding the ePolice again , riding my push bike home , by chance , I saw an ebiker on the road , and had the opportunity to take his bike for a spin .
Wow ! Blew the ePolice away as a paved road commuter , and it was just a mid level purpose built ebike with a bafang rear hub drive .
I asked him about hills , which I didn't have a chance to ride , and he replied , this bike eats them like oatmeal !
I didn't ride the ePolice off road , and now , for me , that would be the only reason to get it .
So , I'm now searching for a rear hub ebike .

To answer your questions :
I rode the ePolice on flat paved roads and step grade hills .
There was lots of traffic today but I'll say got up to speed quickly .
Overall build quality like a tank .
No problem with controlling the Purion display .
Shifting was smooth at times , clunky at others .

There's just no substitute for riding the bike yourself in your environment .
Don't buy it unless you have a chance to test ride .
And as far as mid-drives , I'm not totally drinking the Bosch Kool-Aid .
It may be bullet proof reliable , but other drives have less resistance and feel more natural when peddling .

I don't recall what your looking for in an ebike , but if your looking for a commuter on paved roads , and no off road , I would forget all the mid-drives and go for a rear hub drive !
Today after test riding the ePolice again , riding my push bike home , by chance , I saw an ebiker on the road , and had the opportunity to take his bike for a spin .
Wow ! Blew the ePolice away as a paved road commuter , and it was just a mid level purpose built ebike with a bafang rear hub drive .
I asked him about hills , which I didn't have a chance to ride , and he replied , this bike eats them like oatmeal !
I didn't ride the ePolice off road , and now , for me , that would be the only reason to get it .
So , I'm now searching for a rear hub ebike .

To answer your questions :
I rode the ePolice on flat paved roads and step grade hills .
There was lots of traffic today but I'll say got up to speed quickly .
Overall build quality like a tank .
No problem with controlling the Purion display .
Shifting was smooth at times , clunky at others .

There's just no substitute for riding the bike yourself in your environment .
Don't buy it unless you have a chance to test ride .
And as far as mid-drives , I'm not totally drinking the Bosch Kool-Aid .
It may be bullet proof reliable , but other drives have less resistance and feel more natural when peddling .

e-boy-Thanks for your update. Sounds like a candidate for me being, I am mostly doing 50% paved and 50% gravel bumpy terrain on some of the trails that are bit too much crumbly and cracked terrain.

I currently have a rear hub drive with 700c X 28c tires. I need something that will absorb the bumpy trails better than my rear hub drive with wider tires. I see a lot of good reviews about the Bafang motors. I am also seeing that with the Powerfly series. They are good candidates for eating hills. This is another bike for test on my bucket list for comparison.
You are correct-without a test ride, I will not pull the trigger. I need to find out if the dealer will order without full commitment to purchase.

I personally like the Easy Motion 500 watt rear drive motors. Very reliable and have peppy torque, power and speed. Some of the 2016/2017 models are on sale at a nice discount now. Good luck with your search!

Update: Got this from another thread-Surface604 Shred with Bafang rear hub.

Last edited:
I'm slowing setting my hardtail Powerfly 7 up as adventure bike.

If you plan to fit rear racket get shop to fit quickrelease seatpost collar that comes with bike, it has mounts for rack. The rack is Topeak.

I used SKS Velo 65 Mountain 29" mudguards, as I found out need to order fork mounts separate, see photo of PNs.
Rear clearance is excellent, coverage not so good, may move it bit more clockwise and extend left side with some extra plastic eg cutdown another guard.
Front clearance is tight, will probably need to shorten metal rods when fork mounts come.

I used Jones bars because I had them and they have lots of space for lights extra bottle mounts. Fitted more vertical stem, you could use adjustable one. WARNING if MTBing use fix stem, adjustables can collapse on big hits. I've use this handlebar stem combination on FS MTBing, works fine for most technical tracks you are likely to take fully loaded bike on.

The B-SOUL 5.7 top tube bag is $6 from aliexpress, gives direct access to phone, enough room for keys,wallet and few extras. Even came with waterproof cover.

For carrying extra battery EMTB Magazine reckon Topeak Midloader 3L frame bag will work. May not work with Trek battery as it has extra plastic cover, best try befor you buy.

Its possible to fit integrated lights, which will be future project.

1529055566356.jpg
20180619_210254.jpg
20180623_132616.jpg
20180619_210349.jpg

Attachments

• 20180619_210333.jpg
    20180619_210333.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 485
Back