Using a Powerfully 5 for Commuting & Touring & some off-road

DrawnToScale

I'm looking for an electric mountain bike that I could use for commuting, touring, and some not-too-technical trail riding. Until now - I've only ridden road bikes. I'm leaning toward a 2018 PF5. I'm thinking the E-bikes designed for commuting might not do as well as PF5 off-road. For commuting, I'd like to get a rear rack, lights and perhaps fenders. Has anyone outfitted a PF5 or 7 this way? Would a rack rattle around too much off-road? How much of a pain would it be to take rack & fenders on/off? Any lighting option that would tap into the main battery?

The 2018 Powerfly 5 hardtail looks like it could be set up as a pretty sweet commuter. Nice battery integration and they've tilted that CX motor up similar to the Haibike design. The description says the PF 5 comes ready for lights, fenders, rack. Certainly for fenders and the rack you'll have some nice Bontrager options that will be compatible which really helps with finding bags/panniers. As for lights, I would bet they thought through this and would have options that can run off the electrical system w/out too much headache of rework. I'd suggest checking with a Trek dealer. My local Trek shop has sent a bunch of employees to Bosch school and last I heard they were working on their certification. So I'd ask about their Bosch certification when you talk to the Trek shops. As for taking the racks/fenders on and off - yeah, I would think that would be a major pain. For light trail riding I would think you should just leave them on. If you get good quality stuff and it is installed correctly I wouldn't think it would rattle much. All my rack and fender bikes do not rattle much and although I am not trail riding I am riding on some really crappy paved roads. I check periodically to make sure nothing is coming loose. Usually when I get noise it is from something I have attached (my lock, keys in a bag etc).

I recently purchased the Haibike XDuro 4.0 Trekking as a second commuter bike. I like it but if I had seen the 2018 PF 5 prior to ordering the Haibike I might have given the 2018 PF 5 some serious consideration dependent on my Trek shop's ability to install lights. For my purposes as almost solely a street commuter, I'd have changed the tires too.

I'm looking for an electric mountain bike that I could use for commuting, touring, and some not-too-technical trail riding. Until now - I've only ridden road bikes. I'm leaning toward a 2018 PF5. I'm thinking the E-bikes designed for commuting might not do as well as PF5 off-road. For commuting, I'd like to get a rear rack, lights and perhaps fenders. Has anyone outfitted a PF5 or 7 this way? Would a rack rattle around too much off-road? How much of a pain would it be to take rack & fenders on/off? Any lighting option that would tap into the main battery?

I've also been looking at the PF5 for the same purpose and making the upgrades of fenders, lights, rack, suspension seat post, etc.

I visited my local Trek dealer yesterday to look at some ebikes (Conduit+ and Lift+) and talk about ordering a Powerfly 5. I was hoping on full fenders on the PF5 but according to the shop and confirmed later in an online chat with Trek the PF5 is not set up to take full fenders. Trek recommended something like the SKS xblade fenders designed for MTBs. Not a perfect solution for a commuter but a little protection from spray.

According to online chat with Trek , their lighting option is an aftermarket non integrated rechargeable set :
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
Also , Trek does not offer equivalent wide tires for pavement .
They suggested their 700c x45 H5 .

Police model with rack and Schwalbe G-One Allround Performance, folding bead, 29x2.25”.
Too bad no integrated lighting .
Might make a schweet commuter .
For 2018 hardtail , only PF 5 , no 7 .
1046690_2018_A_1_Powerfly_Police

Last edited:
The Police Electric Motor is a Bosch Speed Performance, 350 watt, 63Nm, 28 mph .

Really love this bike design and the speed motor. Nice components using the new Shadow+ group set also. Have not found a nearby dealer that has it in stock. I hope to get a test ride in the near future. Rode the SC 8+ with the speed motor and it had great torque and no problem getting up to 28mph within a few seconds.

I'm very interested in this as well. I'm torn between PF5 and PF7 though.

I did some beginner mountain biking last year on my $700 (cheap!) Giant hardtail and I really enjoyed it. I'm not going to tell you that I'm going to be out there all the time, but I'd like to have the option. Also, I don't live in a very rural area, so it's more likely I'll be riding in urban or suburban areas. I have to trailer my bike to get anywhere "good". Like a lot of people, I'm just looking to do some rough urban and suburban rides - I still ride my bike like I'm 10 years old... popping curbs and thumbing my nose at the principal.

Anyway, I'm going to be selling my motorcycle and to easy the pain a bit, I'm looking at getting a Trek PF7 FS Plus.

Here's my (scary) thought process:

- I'm pushing 40 and I like a bit more cushion in my ride. The full suspension sounds pretty good. Never owned one.
- It's my understanding that I can always lock out the suspension for a firmer city ride (front and back). Better to have and not need?
- I like the electric bike idea and I'm good with it being a class 1 assist as opposed to a class 3 with a throttle. Heck it's a bike - pedal it.
- If you're going to drop $3500, why not drop $5k and get all the farkles?

Regarding the 28MPH - the dealer I talked to sounded pretty favorable to tweaking things a bit to get over the 20MPH limit. He even suggested how it would be done. *shrugs* Meh. I'm probably going to chip it anyway. If you can't hack it, you don't own it.

If you're buying an ebike IMO there is no reason to get a hardtail. I went for the Powerfly 8 FS thinking I would commute. Even bought a road wheelset to switch out. I rode it once on the road - it's for singletrack. I have about 1900 miles of singletrack on it and absolutely love it. I'm looking for another commuter maybe unless the long travel is released this year in the USA and then maybe I'll be tempted to do that.....

I always liked the XM700 and there are still some models in the Raleigh area in stores. I like the Commuter and the crossfit too.

I'm waiting to see what models are going to be for 2019.

I always liked the XM700 and there are still some models in the Raleigh area in stores. I like the Commuter and the crossfit too.

I'm waiting to see what models are going to be for 2019.

"...still some models"
XM700 is listed on Trek website as 2018 ; has it been discontinued ?
I think new model line up is announced late summer ?
I'd like to see the XM700 develop into something similar to the Bulls Urban EVO ; 500 Wh battery , 700c x50 tires , Suntour fork .
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Police model with rack and Schwalbe G-One Allround Performance, folding bead, 29x2.25”.
Too bad no integrated lighting .
Might make a schweet commuter .
For 2018 hardtail , only PF 5 , no 7 .
1046690_2018_A_1_Powerfly_Police

In another thread Ravi pointed out that ePolice already comes with 800 lumen light. Just like the one that comes with Cross Rip+.
police-ebike-jpg.20649

In another thread Ravi pointed out that ePolice already comes with 800 lumen light. Just like the one that comes with Cross Rip+.
police-ebike-jpg.20649

e-boy-Police Electric comes with a front light?? I received the spec sheet from my local Trek dealer via pdf and there is no listing for it.
Hmmm- that would be a nice add on for this bike.

I reposted what Ravi posted in another thread .
Both my dealer and Trek online support said there is no onboard lighting .
I'll be at my local Trek dealer in the coming days and will report back .
I did read on Trek.com that printed specs are subject to change !

Back