Urban folding ebike

mams99

So, while I'm REALLLY all about getting a tandem... if I get into that and actually use it, the next thing I'm going to look into is an electric urban commuter bike.

I love in a burb of DC/B'More. Too far from work to commute it all (20 miles) and it's not a bike friendly commute. I work at the tip top of DC - right on the edge of Silver Spring. Most of my commute time is getting through/out of that area - then I fly. I wonder about parking my car and riding in. Anyone do a commute like that?

I wouldn't want a bike on the car, but fit "in" the car.

So, while I'm REALLLY all about getting a tandem... if I get into that and actually use it, the next thing I'm going to look into is an electric urban commuter bike.

I love in a burb of DC/B'More. Too far from work to commute it all (20 miles) and it's not a bike friendly commute. I work at the tip top of DC - right on the edge of Silver Spring. Most of my commute time is getting through/out of that area - then I fly. I wonder about parking my car and riding in. Anyone do a commute like that?

I wouldn't want a bike on the car, but fit "in" the car.
Good lightweight (under 40lbs) folding e-bikes with 20" wheels include Easy Motion EasyGo Volt and Daymak New Yorker. (There are others over 40lbs but to my mind that is too heavy to be convenient. I won't go under 20" wheels due to the chance of potholes, uneven pavement, etc.: smaller wheels can cause crashes.) They fold up nice and small for car trunk.

Can you use a park n ride and take the MARC? I live in Va though and i dont know its route. The whole system is made for getting people into dc in the morning and out in the evening so i dont know how well that'll work.

I have a folding ebike and they are heavy. Im a strong guy but i wouldnt want to carry it any distance, just into my trunk. There is also a tradeoff with power and endurance.

Funny to see this after MONTHS of not being here - with the same need a folding bike to have at work. :)

Much as I enjoy my folding ebike, a 20 miles commute thru traffic one way on little 20" wheels is going to be pretty tiring. I'd want something comfortable. Probably something like a Radmini with fat tires, but that weighs as much as a regular bike.

That suggests a platform rack on your car, but if you have that, then a regular size bike makes more sense, unless you have to bring it inside at work. Then you have to consider your speed and commute time.

I'm guessing it's not really 20 miles. That's just too far for office worker on a bike. A 30-45 ride would seem more reasonable, so that's 6-9 miles?

Maybe I wasn't clear. I can't commute. I have a bike for at home for the in town commuting for the 3 days a week I'm at home. Then at work, for grabbing lunch, taking a break, I would like a SECOND bike = this one the folding bike. I actually ordered this morning the BH Easy Motion EasyGo Volt for the 3 days I'm at work. the last day is a "Break? What break?" day - so no chance to bike on Day 7.

Back