Unlimited Budget, but want the biggest bang for my buck

Ben174

My budget is pretty high, since I use my bike more than my car. I'd love something that will last a long time. I bought a Sonders ebike for Burning Man and fell in love. It was only $700 and was the most fun I've ever had on a bicycle. So I'm ready to buy one for daily use now. Of course I'd like to spend as little as necessary but would like something nice.

Me: 220 lbs, 6'1", commute about 5 miles round trip daily. I will likely pedal most of the time unless I'm late for a meeting. On weekends is when I'd like to turn on the power, will be riding through the hills on 20 mile rides. Pedal assist would be ideal but would like full power possibly for the ride home.

Any recommendations?

Did you read the electricbike-blog report from the Playa? Yeah, it's not hard to fall in love with an ebike. In your case, I might suggest you take a look at the Biktrix Juggernaut line-up (my favorite is the newly-released-this-week ULTRA- 1000W mid-drive fatbike - totally awesome). Need more suggestions, give me a call and we can talk! 805-881-3365

Last edited:
My budget is pretty high, since I use my bike more than my car. I'd love something that will last a long time. I bought a Sonders ebike for Burning Man and fell in love. It was only $700 and was the most fun I've ever had on a bicycle. So I'm ready to buy one for daily use now. Of course I'd like to spend as little as necessary but would like something nice.

Me: 220 lbs, 6'1", commute about 5 miles round trip daily. I will likely pedal most of the time unless I'm late for a meeting. On weekends is when I'd like to turn on the power, will be riding through the hills on 20 mile rides. Pedal assist would be ideal but would like full power possibly for the ride home.

Any recommendations?
I think you can get 2 ebikes. One hub driven speed pedelec commuter with fenders, and one mid drive full suspension for bombing trails, for a full spectrum of ebike experience. If you can get both with the the same battery the better since you automatically have a spare battery whichever one you use. Like the Volt bike enduro.
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
https://electricbikereview.com/voltbike/enduro/
and Crosscurrent S
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
https://electricbikereview.com/juiced-bikes/crosscurrent-s/
Just make sure that the batteries are interchangeable.

Last edited:
I put 1500 miles on a Sondors Fat, then wanted a different kind of ride. I bought a Haibike XDURO Full Seven S RX. It is a class 3 bike, 28mph, but no throttle. The Bosch mid drive will actually pull the suspension forks up in Turbo mode, so don't need a throttle as long as you can just move your legs. Large dia. rotors and hydraulic brakes to haul you quickly to a stop from 28mph. Then I bought a second bike, a Haibike XDURO Trekking S RX. Same Bosch mid drive, 28mph. But it has a 500whr battery instead of the 400 on the mtb. It also has smaller gravel type tires, full fenders, a rear rack, and 10 speeds vs 11. I've now put on 2500 miles on the two Haibikes, the Sondors collects dust in the corner until snow flies in the winter. I'm crazy about the quality and precision of Haibike and Bosch.

I put 1500 miles on a Sondors Fat, then wanted a different kind of ride. I bought a Haibike XDURO Full Seven S RX. It is a class 3 bike, 28mph, but no throttle. The Bosch mid drive will actually pull the suspension forks up in Turbo mode, so don't need a throttle as long as you can just move your legs. Large dia. rotors and hydraulic brakes to haul you quickly to a stop from 28mph. Then I bought a second bike, a Haibike XDURO Trekking S RX. Same Bosch mid drive, 28mph. But it has a 500whr battery instead of the 400 on the mtb. It also has smaller gravel type tires, full fenders, a rear rack, and 10 speeds vs 11. I've now put on 2500 miles on the two Haibikes, the Sondors collects dust in the corner until snow flies in the winter. I'm crazy about the quality and precision of Haibike and Bosch.
I'm a little similar to your situation but different brands and different combinations. I have 2 ebikes sharing the same battery, one mid drive and the other hub drive (Raleigh Tekoa and Izip Dash). And a third one with mid drive that does not share battery with the rest (Luna BBSHD) .

Last edited:
For the most bang for the buck, I went for a Magnum Metro+. The Juiced Bike is very similar but I went for Magnum only because it's an older (?) more established company than Juiced.
Also, when I was doing research, I try to keep in mind on what I have to add to the bike after, such as a rear bike rac, derailleur guard and fenders. Magnum had all that included, whereas other bikes that I looked at similar price range were extra.

Last edited:
96503D0E-3E28-4368-A6E9-654C33705CE2.jpeg
I went with the fully loaded Evelo Delta, came with a 4 year, 20,000 mile warranty. My top speed so far is 33mph, torque rating at 120nm, this ebike is fast and powerful and so much fun to ride!!! The Delta has a throttle and a nuvinchi cvt with a 750 watt mid drive. Excellent customer service and fast shipping!

Last edited:
I'm sure the Apex is a great but looks more like a motorcycle than a bike, which wouldn't be good on paths that don't welcome E-bikes with open arms.

And the 90 day warranty on the $5500 Apex bike doesn't give me a lot of confidence either!

For the most bang for the buck, I went for a Magnum Metro+. The Juiced Bike is very similar but I went for Magnum only because it's an older (?) more established company than Juiced.
Also, when I was doing research, I try to keep in mind on what I have to add to the bike after, such as a rear bike rac, derailleur guard and fenders. Magnum had all that included, whereas other bikes that I looked at similar price range were extra.
Magnum is actually only 3 years old :) Much like Juiced and a lot of others :)

I'm actually falling more and more in love with my Sonders. I've decided it will be my permanent Burning Man bike. It's got a great community and fun and easy to upgrade. I brought it home, cleaned it up with vinegar and a power washer, and it feels like new again.

Still researching a commuter bike though.

Don't recommend power or pressure washers on any ebike, no matter how dirty :eek:. The mild white vinegar & water wash will work without a pressure washer, just some good old fashioned elbow grease and a bit of patience. Then you don't risk damaging the seals on the motor or controller or other less protected electronics. BTW our shop has done a lot of pre & post Burning Man ebike & escooter work. A modest amount of preventive lubing while at B.M. can go a long way to help on the backend cleanup :D

@Ann M. what kind of lube are we talking out to put on our bikes that we can put on before riding and it helps in post-cleaning? By the way, any articles or postings on the best way to keep an ebike clean?

Back