Unboxing and assembling

akakpaws

All the videos I've seen on unboxing this bike have shown the bike being lifted out of the box from the top. This bike is quite heavy. Is there any reason why the bike box can't be open from the bottom and then the box just lifted off the bike instead of trying to lift all that weight out of the box?

Its a bike in a cardboard box.
You can open it pretty much anyway you want. Just do it with care, and don't use a sharp object that cuts deeply.

If you want to save the box for later, don't slash at it like you're Zorro!

The only reason you would want to save the box is if the bike needed to be returned to the company you bought it from.
I recently received an ebike that I ordered for my wife. Like most ebikes, it was heavy, so I laid the box on its side and pulled the bike out.
The only reason I didn't just cut off the side of the box is the bike was damaged and I wasn't sure if I'd have to use the box to ship it back to the bike company.

I didn’t lay the box on its side because the box had to be oriented upwards per the arrows on the box - and I didn’t want to be causing any damage when unboxing by dragging the bike out sideways.

Easy enough to tape the side of a box back up as it is for the top of the box - if required.

Last edited:
Source for your advice, please. I've always read that lithium cells have minimal memory effect, unlike NiCads.

You are right lithium battery no not have any memory effect.
This was the good old days of NiMh batteries :)

Good chargers with smart BMS will charge fast to 80% and then slow down to load balance. That is a good thing before a first ride. It does impact the life of the battery. But it is not 'memory'.

The Overnight Charge BEFORE 1st Ride is Important Mate - FIRST - Full Charge Before 1st Ride is BEST way to prevent Memory Effect - Your 1st Ride is the First Cycle of use for that Battery. Memory Effect can happen when you start 1st Ride with Battery Discharge - and if you start Discharge anywhere less than a Full 100% - then the Battery "might think" that the Less Than Full Charge/Voltage you started with WILL NOW BE the Full Charge for future (when its really Less-Than-Full). If you Battery gets Memory Effect - example 90% at the start of 1st Ride becomes the 100% for all your future rides. SECOND - Full Charge Before 1st Ride BEST WAY to start use of your battery cells close to Original Cell Balance.
giphy (1).gif

It is the overnight thing. Cheep batteries catch fire this way. How does @Gionnirocket do those animations? That's cool.
Easy... Just post any image that is in animated .gif format.. same manner as any other photo.

But it's not only the charging overnight which is horrible advice... It's the thinking that you need to condition a Li ion battery or you can balance it with a charger.
Most entry level batteries do not have a balance BMS... so you ain't balancing nothin'
The advice to fully charge and discharge was sometimes given by phone manufacturers... but not to balance the battery but to calibrate the phones battery monitor
Oh how the small details get
flush.gif

There seems to be a whole lot of cell chemistry folklore.

To my knowledge, NiMh cells don't have the memory effect, either. It's the old NiCad cells that could be ruined by partial discharge.

NiMh cells are used in hybrid vehicles, for several reasons:
(1) not looking for range, just enough capacity to handle modest propulsion needs when ICE has been shut down under high manifold vacuum conditions (coasting, idling). An ICE is essentially a giant vacuum pump under such situations, which would consume a lot of fuel if it was kept running. Also the battery pack needs to be large enough to absorb regenerative braking input.
(2) NiMh cells are cheap.
(3) NiMh cells are far less finicky than Lithium cells.
(4) NiMh cells last a very long time.
(5) NiMh cells are far heavier than an equivalent Lithium cell.

I drive a Lexus RX 450h hybrid, which uses a beefy version of the powertrain in the Toyota Prius. Prius taxis can run 300,000 miles on the original NiMh battery pack.

The "Plug-In" hybrid Prius is a different animal. In that car they want range, so they need a far larger battery. So they use Lithium there.

Back