Ultra FS: Front Hub / Skewer Question

Slappy

When I originally assembled my Ultra FS, I had quite a time getting the front skewer axle through. I took the tire off this weekend to replace the tube, and it was a bear getting the axle out and now trying to re-install it. Instead of banging it through I want to fix the issue. Can see on the rotor side how the hub doesn't seem to align quite right with the rotor hole:
20201230_151323.jpg

The axle skewer slides through fine up until this point. On the other side the hub is perfectly aligned, but you can see the misalignment at the end here too (the shadow):

20201230_151336.jpg

Does anyone know the best way to fix this? Is it a wheel truing issue that can be fixed with spoke adjustments? Does the rotor cap need to be re-aligned? I can bang it through but I don't want to and its just going to get stuck again.

There is a floating axle in there. You can see that when you wiggle around your axle in there, the center would align..

Not sure what I'm doing wrong but getting that axel through the front is a nightmare. The rear is fine.

I don't know what a floating axle is but it sounds like something that moves. Try sticking a pencil ( eraser end ) in there and see if you can move the thing that is blocking your thru axle.

So I was able (after much struggle) to get the axle through the wheel while it was off the fork. I tried to install it back on the fork, stuck again. I wiggled and pushed and tried to tap it through, but now I have a new problem - some piece broke off the end of the hub:

20201230_193615.jpg

20201230_193621.jpg

I pretty much give up at this point, never thought the front wheel would be so difficult to remove and replace. But question - is this piece something that a bike shop can repair, or is the wheel pretty much toast now?

Thanks!

So I was able (after much struggle) to get the axle through the wheel while it was off the fork. I tried to install it back on the fork, stuck again. I wiggled and pushed and tried to tap it through, but now I have a new problem - some piece broke off the end of the hub:

View attachment 75501

View attachment 75502

I pretty much give up at this point, never thought the front wheel would be so difficult to remove and replace. But question - is this piece something that a bike shop can repair, or is the wheel pretty much toast now?

Thanks!
Send us an email and we can arrange a replacement hub.. [email protected]

Back