Ugh… Tongsheng fail

Ducky77

Region
USA
I was so excited to try my brand new ebike today… took it for a quick spin around the block… noticed after I tried the thumb throttle the display turned off for a moment then turned back on… Next my hubby hopped on to give it a try. He decided to start trying the throttle… immediately the display gave an error message and the screen turned off. Now it won’t turn on. We checked all the connections, pins, etc. We’re at a loss… any ideas? Battery is putting out 47.2V
I purchased the unit from PSW .. It says warranty is 1 year but I have to send it to China for repair and pay for shipping.

Last edited:
Use a multimeter and see if all hardware is receiving power.
Battery output
Controller input
Output to the display.
etc....
If you can't find anything wrong.. Then I'd start by replacing the display

Well first off that's NOT a full charge, but enough to run. By direct from China and get China special warrantees. Essentially NONE given the cost to return. Poke @PedalUma resident TSDZ2 expert builder. I assume you have a 48V motor and a 48V battery? 54.6 is full charge. You didn't get a 36V(42V full charge) motor and 48V battery?

A good spot for parts, but let me tell you after 7 years and SCORES of monthly repair requests from kit builders that buy from China, then have issues and expect someone that answers the phone in the USA to offer support really sucks. David is probably a nicer guy but it's getting really busy with kit sales and parts.

Pedaluma is your best bet.

Not to rub it in but.. Hopefully, future Tongsheng TSDZ2 searchers can see what can happen. And ALL to often. I recently had an acquaintance try the China route and he got an old version. Not the latest.

I also had many car and MC guys that soon discovered these aren't cars. But a good vehicle electrics trouble shooter can find all sorts of help. endless_sphere.com has some very active and good TSDZ2 threads.

Screen Shot 2022-03-19 at 7.36.56 PM.png

Not to rub it in but.. Hopefully, future Tongsheng TSDZ2 searchers can see what can happen. And ALL to often. I recently had an acquaintance try the China route and he got an old version. Not the latest.

I also had many car and MC guys that soon discovered these aren't cars. But a good vehicle electrics trouble shooter can find all sorts of help. endless_sphere.com has some very active and good TSDZ2 threads.

View attachment 117228
Yeah… I know! Lesson learned 😜

Well first off that's NOT a full charge, but enough to run. By direct from China and get China special warrantees. Essentially NONE given the cost to return. Poke @PedalUma resident TSDZ2 expert builder. I assume you have a 48V motor and a 48V battery? 54.6 is full charge. You didn't get a 36V(42V full charge) motor and 48V battery?

A good spot for parts, but let me tell you after 7 years and SCORES of monthly repair requests from kit builders that buy from China, then have issues and expect someone that answers the phone in the USA to offer support really sucks. David is probably a nicer guy but it's getting really busy with kit sales and parts.

Pedaluma is your best bet.
its a 48V battery and 48V motor. And I guess I should have specified the battery display was still showing all bars 🙄

There's an echo! Battery bar displays are INDICATORS. Kinda like turn signals. No guarantee the cager is gonna turn in the direction indicated. You were smart to use your multimeter. Again 54.6V is full charge. At 47V it's quite inaccurate.

Where did you source the battery?

(crossing my fingers!)

There's an echo! Battery bar displays are INDICATORS. Kinda like turn signals. No guarantee the cager is gonna turn in the direction indicated. You were smart to use your multimeter. Again 54.6V is full charge. At 47V it's quite inaccurate.

Where did you source the battery?

(crossing my fingers!)
bought It locally and it has a warranty.

Local support is best. I am all about local. We all know that something is wrong. The voltage is low and the controller does not like it. One thing to try is to run a USB fan off the battery to slowly and safely discharge it. Check the output of the charger. A new charger from Staples, Target, or Amazon is $20. If it is good then recharge the battery and see if it is higher. The VLCD6 does not work with a throttle. The two extra wires on the 8-pins are for a throttle function. When I was new I found a huge variance in suppliers. The Rolex on Ali Express looked good in the pictures.

Local support is best. I am all about local. We all know that something is wrong. The voltage is low and the controller does not like it. One thing to try is to run a USB fan off the battery to slowly and safely discharge it. Check the output of the charger. A new charger from Staples, Target, or Amazon is $20. If it is good then recharge the battery and see if it is higher. The VLCD6 does not work with a throttle. The two extra wires on the 8-pins are for a throttle function. When I was new I found a huge variance in suppliers. The Rolex on Ali Express looked good in the pictures.

LV shut down on the controller I would think would be around 40v... If you're getting a 7v sag, the battery probably has more problems than needing a charge.

@Gionnirocket, Yes. But let's hope for the best. I need to add this for everyone. We are all in for QC issues with everything. So it will all be a matter of who provides the best customer service. Imagine all of the factories getting shutdown at lunchtime. Then restarted a couple of months later. And this happening more than once. If one little part of a complex process subcomponent is missing, the whole will fail. Did I solder all of the cells or not on this one? How do you restart a factory exactly where you left off?

@Gionnirocket, Yes. But let's hope for the best. I need to add this for everyone. We are all in for QC issues with everything. So it will all be a matter of who provides the best customer service. Imagine all of the factories getting shutdown at lunchtime. Then restarted a couple of months later. And this happening more than once. If one little part of a complex process subcomponent is missing, the whole will fail. Did I solder all of the cells or not on this one? How do you restart a factory exactly where you left off?
That's scary
You'd think that there are procedures in place to shutdown and restart any production line.
Initially perhaps... But afterwards it didn't need to be a fire drill.

Looks like we have no reference on #6 (red) and no battery power on #1 (brown) on the wire harness. It’s an 8 pin
battery is charging… already up to 50V.

Looks like we have no reference on #6 (red) and no battery power on #1 (brown) on the wire harness. It’s an 8 pin
battery is charging… already up to 50V.
Good. See if a brass pin or two is bent in the connector to the display. Straighten carefully using a tooth pick. If this is not the problem, you will need to open the other side of the motor housing and double check the connections to the controller.
QC issues: It is not just physical stuff. A factory is like an Orchestra. They may be fine individually, but need constant practice working together. What about Spring Training? You can't just pickup where you left off.
1647742888884.png

Back