UC Pro Disc rotors - switching to MDR + other recommended parts

pushkar

Hey everyone.

I got a lot of feedback that we should start using the MDR rotors for the new bike. I think that is a great idea. I will switch all rotors to the MDRs for the production order. Just spoke with Magura and they are ordering those for me.

We have options for the front rotor
1. MDR-C (all metal) - 203mm
2. MDR-P (2 piece, black center) - 203mm

Thoughts on what we should pick ?

Note- the rear will be all metal 180mm for the Rohloff.

Also - other parts that you think will be a good upgrade, please let me know.

Reactions: Ayl
MDR-P looks to be the superior rotor, particular for the extra weight of the UCPro. If you're able to swing it, I would prefer that.

Are there links you can provide detailing the pros/cons between all metal and the two piece MDR rotors?

The two-tone look does look more unbalanced. But, even the design of the MDR-C looks different enough from the standard Magura rotor for the Rohloff. And, like you said, with the MDR-P we can go 220mm--will that be too unbalanced in terms of the braking force between front and rear?

Over 60-70% braking power comes from the front brake anyways.

MDR-P is good - will plan for that.

So 203 mm will be ok I think.

I installed the Magura 2 pc 203mm on my Vado 5.0, front and back. They work great. Was expecting the rotors to be perfectly flat since they were 2 piece with no stress from install but that was not the case, still a little 'wave' to them. The larger rotor works good on back when down hill on loose terrain and not wanting to use the front brake. Larger rotor gives better modulation also.

Cheers, good luck on your build.

If I were to get a hub motor my thought whichever rotor covers a hub motor better for that stealthy look, not fooling many but...I have no other info to go by, don’t know...maybe the one that is more maintenance free or longer lasting .i am assuming I won’t be able to tell much else, both being good enough for my use???

Over 60-70% braking power comes from the front brake anyways.

MDR-P is good - will plan for that.

So 203 mm will be ok I think.
Is there a reason not to do 220mm over 203mm? Is there zero difference in brake performance between the two?

The only advantage to a larger rotor is better heat dissipation. Brake fade will decrease, but overall braking will not improve.
To improve braking, besides the reduced brake fade, you'll need a larger caliper.

The only advantage to a larger rotor is better heat dissipation. Brake fade will decrease, but overall braking will not improve.
To improve braking, besides the reduced brake fade, you'll need a larger caliper.
So that means that there are two benefits - better heat dissipation and reduced brake fade. So does your offer still stand on 220mm @pushkar?

There is no difference in cost. However from what I have noticed on the new adapter, the caliper also needs to be rotated a bit to accommodate the larger diameter.

So technically it works, but I am not sure about the long term alignment of the calipers. The stress seems a little uneven. So the more often you brake, one set of pistons is doing more work - so you will notice the pads fading unevenly.

I will try it with 220 for sure - but am a little hesitant to recommend those without testing more.

The new 203 brackets for the MDR are fantastic btw.. well balanced. If you try with a non-oe 180-203 bracket, you will notice a shimmy while braking because the old brackets dont have the right right clearance for the 4mm black part, so they have to be offset a little weirdly that leads to a shimmy (uneven stress).

As far as 220mm rotors, I was advised against on my Frey CC as it would require stacking adapters. The front fork is 160mm, and there is no 160mm to 220mm adapter, at least not made by Magura. Here are 203mm Magura MDR-P on my Frey CC. Only 1 day of riding but love them so far.

img_20200608_173303-jpg.54876

As far as 220mm rotors, I was advised against on my Frey CC as it would require stacking adapters. The front fork is 160mm, and there is no 160mm to 220mm adapter, at least not made by Magura. Here are 203mm Magura MDR-P on my Frey CC. Only 1 day of riding but love them so far.

That looks amazing!

Our forks (Auron) has a native 180mm mount, so we can do with a single adapter. I will test it when it arrives - and we can upgrade if that works better.
The 203 in dual looks sooooo nice.

I am sold.

Here are 220mm on a Frey EX. This was the poster on ES that ultimately led me in the right direction to solve my issues with judder from the Storm HC. I was impressed by the MDR-P out of the box before I even put them on. They don't bend or feel flimsy like the Storm HC. I think they may be slightly thicker as well.

Back