Tyres 700x45c to 700x38c

Piccoloman

Has anyone done this change. Im looking to go from the gravel crosscut 2 tyres to more free rolling tyres, but have found the available 700x45c are fewer in choice and pretty heavy (those with decent puncture protection).

Ive ordered the marathon greengaurd original in 700x38c mainly to try them out and as they are comparable in weight. I really wanted to try the newest schwalbe energiser plus but not available in Aus and quite hard to get (or very expensive) to get shipped for OS.

Has anyone gone from 45c to 38c (1.75inch wide to 1.5inch wide).

Has anyone done this change. Im looking to go from the gravel crosscut 2 tyres to more free rolling tyres, but have found the available 700x45c are fewer in choice and pretty heavy (those with decent puncture protection).

Ive ordered the marathon greengaurd original in 700x38c mainly to try them out and as they are comparable in weight. I really wanted to try the newest schwalbe energiser plus but not available in Aus and quite hard to get (or very expensive) to get shipped for OS.

Has anyone gone from 45c to 38c (1.75inch wide to 1.5inch wide).
Hi Piccoloman
It should be ok
Measure your rim sizes and check the tyre that will fit here; https://www.schwalbetires.com/tech_info/tire_dimensions

Attachments

• 3E1A76B0-6D7B-485C-BB41-669FA2305DC1.png
    3E1A76B0-6D7B-485C-BB41-669FA2305DC1.png
    973.2 KB · Views: 641
Well I got the 700x38c fitted and went for my work commune trip. Compared to the 700x45c both pumped up to 60psi I can report that the thinner tyres do roll a fair bit easier than the oems. Went from a giant crosscut 2 gravel tyre to marathon flatter treaded tyre.
The top speed didn’t change much, maybe 1 or 2kms/hr, but it was the ability to maintain free wheeling and getting up to max speed where I found some difference. They actually feel a bit more direct also, but they are a bit harsher on bumps. Nothing too bad.
All in all I’m glad I made the change.

Ps. I hadn’t changed a bike tyre for 30 years, the standard tyres that came with the bike were harder to get off than I remember.

Back