Type of Brake Fluid for Daymak Arrow

karen_w

I'm wondering what is the best brake fluid for my Daymak Arrow? Dot 3 or Dot 4 or is a mineral oil based brake fluid better? Also, I noticed that the brake fluid reservoir on one side has turned darker than the other. What would be the reason for that and is it time to change the fluid?

I'm wondering what is the best brake fluid for my Daymak Arrow? Dot 3 or Dot 4 or is a mineral oil based brake fluid better?

It is not a question of which is better, but what the brakes were designed to use. You cannot substitute DOT for mineral oil. You should contact Daymak and ask them which is the appropriate fluid for your brakes.

Also, I noticed that the brake fluid reservoir on one side has turned darker than the other. What would be the reason for that and is it time to change the fluid?

The fluid is contaminated. Even though the system is sealed, stuff can get past seals, especially through the pistons in the caliper.

usually it will say on the brake lever.
IMG_1398.jpg

I'm wondering what is the best brake fluid for my Daymak Arrow? Dot 3 or Dot 4 or is a mineral oil based brake fluid better? Also, I noticed that the brake fluid reservoir on one side has turned darker than the other. What would be the reason for that and is it time to change the fluid?

About 5,000 KM. I did contact Daymak and I was told to use a hydraulic brake fluid but I'm not sure what the difference is between Dot 3 and Dot 4. The bike initially came with a blue fluid which was mineral oil based and that is how it comes out of the factory.

I just called Daymak and was told to use a Dot 4 brake fluid. Our reservoir has no info on what type to use.

Timpo, I think this is an e-scooter, not an ebike. Looking at their website the brakes look to be motorcycle-sized.

Karen, how do you know the blue fluid was mineral oil based? I'm no expert, but I think a braking system is going to be either mineral based or Dot 3/4 based and that they can't be switched.
I'd call Daymak again, just to make sure.

Timpo, I have an e-scooter. The braking system on my e-scooter have EABS Brakes (Electric Absorption Braking System). But your comment got me thinking that maybe I should get a synthetic Dot 4 brake fluid.

Deacon Blues, my husband found something to that effect in the online manual but I didn't see anything like that, just had a look. I'm assuming it's blue in colour to make it easier for a fluid change. That's my guess. When I called Daymak, they said to use a Dot 4 but I think I will go with a synthetic which sounds like it may be less corrosive to the braking system.

https%3A//electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/type-of-brake-fluid-for-daymak-arrow.36747/'] [/URL]

I have used a blue colored brake fluid in the past, but that was on my racing/track car. The blue brake fluid had a really high boiling point, which is very important when you're braking hard over and over again.

Back