Disc brake rubbing noise on 2022 Turbo Vado 5.0 IGH

Nonlinear

Hi all, I've been commuting daily on my 2022 Turbo Vado 5.0 IGH since I purchased it last October. One thing I've noticed is that the brakes are very loud and annoying on this bike. For example, if there is any sign of wetness outside, the brakes will squeal extremely loud when using then. I've learned to accept that, because I think it's hard to avoid when the disc is wet...

however, I also get rubbing noise even when the brakes are dry! For instance, if I apply a hard brake, I will then hear a rubbing sound each time that section of the brake goes around the wheel. I'm not sure exactly what is happening - maybe the brake is leaving some dust on the disc that is then making noise each time it passes through the caliper, or the disc is bending slightly under the applied force? Either way it's quite annoying, and something I've not noticed on other disc brake bikes I've ridden. I expect better from a $8,500 CAD bicycle... :(

I'm wondering if this is normal, or if there might be something wrong with my bike. This morning is got EXTREMELY loud, a new noise I have not heard before, kind of like a very loud screech (I wish I had recorded it). I'm going to bring it into the shop if it continues.

Brought the bike into my LBC on the way home today. He told me it's just a minor adjustment for the rubbing noise (as you guys suggested above). But then I told him it was way louder today, he looked at my rear wheel, and told me the brake pad needed replacing. My odometer is at about 1700 km, so that makes sense I guess. He didn't say anything about replacing the front pads, so I guess those are still OK (I must brake more with my back break I guess).

New pads at 1700km seems early. Having said that, there's a lot of factors to consider, depending on where and how you ride.
On my Cannondale Lefty 3 e-gravel bike I'm still on the original pads, at 9000km, but it's not very hilly where I live.

A couple of years ago I experienced a lot of brake squeal on one of my road bikes.
I solved the noise problem by lightly sanding the pads and rotors and thoroughly cleaning them with brake cleaner. I also put some anti-squeal paste on my brake caliper pistons and did a thorough brake pad break in
This solved my brake squeal problem and it hasn't come back.

New pads at 1700km seems early. Having said that, there's a lot of factors to consider, depending on where and how you ride.
On my Cannondale Lefty 3 e-gravel bike I'm still on the original pads, at 9000km, but it's not very hilly where I live.

A couple of years ago I experienced a lot of brake squeal on one of my road bikes.
I solved the noise problem by lightly sanding the pads and rotors and thoroughly cleaning them with brake cleaner. I also put some anti-squeal paste on my brake caliper pistons and did a thorough brake pad break in
Yeah I live in Vancouver and have a big 100 m hill inclimb and descend each day. Not sure if that's enough to wear down the brake pads in 1700 km. I asked the LBS guy if this was normal wear, and he said it's not abnormal. Well, hopefully it isn't too expensive anyway.

Yeah I live in Vancouver and have a big 100 m hill inclimb and descend each day. Not sure if that's enough to wear down the brake pads in 1700 km. I asked the LBS guy if this was normal wear, and he said it's not abnormal. Well, hopefully it isn't too expensive anyway.
you need to balance your brake use so the front takes the main work. you may try changing from back to front with a few minutes between them to help cool. or the best way is to go as fast as comfortable then brake hard to bleed the speed and repeat. you may have to go to metallic pads or better yet the ceramic pads https://mtxbraking.com/ we get maybe 2000 miles on our tandem.

you need to balance your brake use so the front takes the main work. you may try changing from back to front with a few minutes between them to help cool. or the best way is to go as fast as comfortable then brake hard to bleed the speed and repeat. you may have to go to metallic pads or better yet the ceramic pads https://mtxbraking.com/ we get maybe 2000 miles on our tandem.
Ok, thanks for the tips!

Due to the extremely steep hills around here where its up down up down all day, I'm changing my brake pads far more then that. It was really annoying at first and I wondered if I was doing something wrong but the local bike mechanic just said 'That's riding on Dartmoor" Usual problem here it seems. I now just accept it as an ongoing expense because of the locale. I also now look upon it as a sign I'm actually riding a lot - which is a good thing!

Another thing can be a light coating of silicone sealant like permeates blue spread on the back of each brake pad. The squeal is from vibration. The permatex will absorb the vibration and end the squeal.

Due to the extremely steep hills around here where its up down up down all day, I'm changing my brake pads far more then that. It was really annoying at first and I wondered if I was doing something wrong but the local bike mechanic just said 'That's riding on Dartmoor" Usual problem here it seems. I now just accept it as an ongoing expense because of the locale. I also now look upon it as a sign I'm actually riding a lot - which is a good thing!
you need to keep track of the disc wear. with that much braking your discs will wear faster too.

I faced this problem. Later I read here https://www.bikertricks.com/disc-brakes-rubbing/ that poor alignment of the brake caliper with the disc rotor is the most common cause of rubbing disc brakes. The brake caliper should be centered on the rotor. Without it, there will be an annoying scrapping noise caused by the brake pads or caliper body.
I was recommended to loosen the two bolts that attach the brake to the caliper and then pull on the brake lever firmly. This centered the caliper because the bolts were loose. It is important to ensure that the caliper mounting bolts are tightened while holding the lever in place.

Last edited:
Back