Hydraulic Brake Fluids (A Relaxed Talk)

Why You Should Not Improve Your Brakes During The Winter :D

I had a peek at the Strava activity feed to see my brother Jacek had had a 67 km Warsaw ride on the Epiphany (we call it Three Kings Day in Poland), and there was something alarming in his post. The ride description: "Some adventures. That's why you shouldn't improve your brakes during the Winter". Next, a picture of his Garmin in the Crash Mode. Next, a photo of his broken mirror on the bike path. And, a nice photo of the Warsaw Mermaid.

I was sure he lost his brakes because of using the synthetic oil in the hydraulic brake lines of his Giant Trance E+! I messaged Jacek instantly:
-- What's happened to you, bro?
-- Nothing serious. Broken rear-view mirror, a bruised elbow... And Garmin took it for a crash! Certainly, the crash sensor in the Edge works!
-- Did you lose your brakes?!
-- On contrary. They were too effective. I was taking a U-turn to take a pic of the Mermaid, accidentally hit the brake lever, the front wheel stopped me and I was on the ground! After my brake service, these 203 mm rotors are damn effective!

Meaning, he did the brake servicing properly, the synthetic oil as brake fluid turned out to be excellent, only Jacek did the same mistake as I used to do in the past on the same e-bike... (at least two hard crashes because of stopping the Trance too hard at low speed).

View attachment 111159
Jacek's son got notified his Dad had had a crash.

View attachment 111160
The glass in Mirrycles never breaks. It is the mirror arm that brakes.

View attachment 111161
The Warsaw Mermaid (the best known of all Mermaid statues of Warsaw). Brother took the picture anyway.

View attachment 111162
On his way home, mirrorless.
yes, rubbish brakes have saved me from many a front end wash out.
Its antilock for cheapskates

Just out of curiosity but can anyone tell me whether it is truly beneficial to use the Royal Blood mineral oil with Magura brakes instead of traditional shimano mineral oil.

Yes, yes. I'm aware that they are different in terms of viscosity. But I've usually used shimano mineral oil for all of my mineral oil brakes.

My pistons have never seized. No leaks around the banjo or olive. The odd air build up but a simple brake burp sorts it.

Apologies if my post exceeds the threads relaxed vibe. I'm just enthusiastic 😅
On paper, the Shimano oil has a much higher boiling point than the Royal Blood. Riding heavy, fast cargo bikes in hot climate I have never boiled the RB in my MT5's. So its not something I have been concerned about. I'd be willing to try drug store mineral oil. I have yet to hear anyone who has tried it have a negative reaction although they are all hard downhillers. But realistically, I use so little oil I just use the RB I have on hand.

If I had a bottle of the Shimano oil and needed to do a bleed, I'd use it.

15+ years of riding with hydraulic disc brakes, Shimano and Tektro. Most of this time has been with the Shimano brakes, the Tektros work fine but require that I use a special fitting to add oil. Each year I top up the reservoir on the brake lever with mineral oil purchased from a local pharmacy (same bottle purchased 16 years ago), it normally seems to require only a few mls. Once topped up the brake performance and the level pressure is returned to an original/default level (pad wear aside). My bikes all live in a garage and so don't usually get heavily soaked for prolonged periods.

I don't notice much of any difference in braking performance down to -20 to -25C in an urban environment (I'm not an off road MTB rider) but I also don't ride much when it's colder than that. If there is any change in performance I have this wonderful feedback system ... my brain says pull the lever less or more.

My feeling is that you are over thinking much of this ... hydraulic disc brakes of any sort have to be really messed up to be a problem. Real braking "problems" are when your hands are too cold to apply enough braking action, or the pads on your rim brakes are melting on a 10+ mile downhill from the continental divide in the Rocky mountains.

That's a very scary mermaid.
She's expected to put fright on Warsaw enemies :) It is a 1939 monument. There are several far older Mermaid statues in Warsaw: In any of them, the Mermaid carries the sword and shield! She's actually the Warsaw's coat-of-arms.

Last edited:
She's expected to put fright on Warsaw enemies :) It is a 1937 monument. There are several far older Mermaid statues in Warsaw: In any of them, the Mermaid carries the sword and shield! She's actually the Warsaw's coat-of-arms.
Is she related to the little cutie in Copenhagen? ;)

1641512011256.png

Is she related to the little cutie in Copenhagen? ;)
According to one of legends, they are sisters separated by the Baltic Sea ;)
Historically, the Warsaw Syrenka (half woman, half fish, sword and shield) was the symbol of Warsaw already in 17th c. The first Warsaw monument was erected in 1855; the Copenhagen Little Mermaid is a 1913 sculpture.

1641539262424.png

The 1855 statue, the Warsaw Old Town Market Place.

I have used silicone brake fluid (DOT 5) in my bike brake lines for years without issue. Of coarse the industry is not going to recommend this because it essentially will last the life of the bike (it does not absorb moisture or gas as some are claiming). The military and racing use it in all vehicles per my understanding. The brake manufacturers will tell you their mineral oil is proprietary (they color it to fool the fools).

Hoping it gets above freezing today and melts some of the white death so I can try out my brakes. It is up to 27 so far. Stefan, this is about as historical as it gets here--murals on buildings and painted, fiberglass cows. There are some good metal sculptures done by a local tribal member around the valley.
DSC01546.JPG

DSC00995.JPG

Just out of curiosity but can anyone tell me whether it is truly beneficial to use the Royal Blood mineral oil with Magura brakes instead of traditional shimano mineral oil.

Yes, yes. I'm aware that they are different in terms of viscosity. But I've usually used shimano mineral oil for all of my mineral oil brakes.

My pistons have never seized. No leaks around the banjo or olive. The odd air build up but a simple brake burp sorts it.

Apologies if my post exceeds the threads relaxed vibe. I'm just enthusiastic 😅
Probably interchangeable but unless struck in middle of nowhere with no choice stick to factory fluid. Brakes aren't place you want to be trying to save few pennies on.

I have used silicone brake fluid (DOT 5) in my bike brake lines for years without issue. Of coarse the industry is not going to recommend this because it essentially will last the life of the bike (it does not absorb moisture or gas as some are claiming). The military and racing use it in all vehicles per my understanding. The brake manufacturers will tell you their mineral oil is proprietary (they color it to fool the fools).
Hi, Ken. I'm not even educated enough on the subject to know on what basis the different types of fluid are used, whether mineral oil or DOT. I did take the chance and began using baby mineral oil in place of Tektro mineral oil and it seems to work the same. Are your brakes specified to use mineral oil but you are using silicone oil?

In my town, if you want to build, you need to install public art. Here is a sandwich shop with a walk-in whale. Art is a thriving business.

Attachments

• PubArt.JPG
    PubArt.JPG
    323.1 KB · Views: 180
Back