Turbo Vado SL odd problem........ Mission Control connectivity and motor

900ss

Here's an odd one on my wife's Turbo Vado SL. On yesterday's ride Mission Control stated the firmware needed to be updated. I have not had this done yet.

This morning I turned the bike on to check it before our ride and Mission Control on her phone would not recognize it. After many tries i re-installed the app; still no joy. My iPhone would connect to the bike however. I have a spare TCU (the original one that came on the bike), and swapped it in. All's good at this point, my wife's Mission Control recognized it - I should have left well enough alone at this point.

I took the bike to the LBS that it was bought from and they did the firmware update with the TCU that Mission Control would not recognize. The firmware update program stated the motor update failed. The other two updates were fine, just the motor update failed. After numerous tries the tech (senior tech in the shop) told me I would need to leave the bike. Then he tried one more time to update the firmware; whilst doing so he bumped the laptop and now the motor is bricked.

It is unfortunate that the motor is bricked and will need to be replaced, but has anyone had a similar experience whereby Mission Control will not recognize the bike but another installation will (her phone vs. my phone)?

The tech feels awful about this, but stuff happens. They will take care of the problem and my wife will get her bike back eventually.

I will post an update upon the bike's return. In the meantime she will need to ride my Levo SL Comp Expert, poor thing!

Here's an odd one on my wife's Turbo Vado SL. On yesterday's ride Mission Control stated the firmware needed to be updated. I have not had this done yet.

This morning I turned the bike on to check it before our ride and Mission Control on her phone would not recognize it. After many tries i re-installed the app; still no joy. My iPhone would connect to the bike however. I have a spare TCU (the original one that came on the bike), and swapped it in. All's good at this point, my wife's Mission Control recognized it - I should have left well enough alone at this point.

I took the bike to the LBS that it was bought from and they did the firmware update with the TCU that Mission Control would not recognize. The firmware update program stated the motor update failed. The other two updates were fine, just the motor update failed. After numerous tries the tech (senior tech in the shop) told me I would need to leave the bike. Then he tried one more time to update the firmware; whilst doing so he bumped the laptop and now the motor is bricked.

It is unfortunate that the motor is bricked and will need to be replaced, but has anyone had a similar experience whereby Mission Control will not recognize the bike but another installation will (her phone vs. my phone)?

The tech feels awful about this, but stuff happens. They will take care of the problem and my wife will get her bike back eventually.

I will post an update upon the bike's return. In the meantime she will need to ride my Levo SL Comp Expert, poor thing!
I picked the bike up tonight with the replacement motor. All is now well insofar as the bike is whole again. However, her Mission Control app on her phone still does not fully recognize the bike with the installed (replacement) TCU. I swapped in the original TCU and everything is hunky-dory, so I'm leaving it alone. I can be thick-headed and stubborn, but I have learned this lesson well!

I am still puzzled by the fact that the replacement TCU has been in the bike since February and worked flawlessly up until last weekend, and my phone and app recognize her bike with it installed. This replacement TCU also works fine in my SL bikes.

To try to clarify with more detail, with the replacement TCU the app recognizes and displays the bike's serial number, and briefly flashes a "connected to (her bike)" message with a green background. Immediately it then goes red with a "connecting to" message, which displays for a few seconds before going green again. This cycles until I get bored and turn off the app. :(

I am very interested if anyone else has had this or a similar connectivity issue?

My wife put 35 miles on flat terrain on my large Levo SL and all the while lamented the fact that she prefers her bike. She really should be on a medium. I rotated the bars up to give her a slight difference in rise and set-back and she was happier.

Onc

So..... all seems well at this point. LBS was good enough to swap out the TCU today, and all seems well at this point. To recap, motor was bricked by LBS, replaced by LBS, TCU would not connect with Turbo Vado SL using my wife's phone and Mission Control, although using my phone and Mission Control we could connect. The running fix was to remove TCU, unplug green and black plugs, reconnect plugs, at which point all would be well. Our LBS has been amazingly accommodating with this bike's problems and with others we have purchased from them. So far, so good. Will report back if the problem continues. WheelAway Cycle Center in Campbell rocks!

I would have started with updating Mission Control on your wife's phone... Mine wouldn't connect if I didn't update the app.

I am glad things have worked out for you I have noticed that you should only run one app either the new Specialized app. Or Mission control. I used both and bike would not get recognized by one of the apps, but the bike worked fine, so now I only use the new Specialized app. For monitoring and maintenance of my rides and bike.

Back