Turbo Vado SL Front light

RyedaleMike

Region
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, just joined the Forum and really am enjoying the knowledge and knowhow everyone has here! I very recently purchased a Vado Sl 4 and ideally want to fit a Redshift Shock Stop stem but rather than cable tie the lezyne ebike hecto stvzo e65 to the stem was wondering if its possible to mount it to the front frame - does anyone know if there's an aftermarket mount which could be used for this? The stvo e65 comes with such a mount but I guess Specialized have swapped it out for their own to fit onto their stem system? Any thoughts would be most welcome! Thanks!

I bought the Lezyne light stem mount as an spare part accessory (broke the Specialized plastic one). Any GoPro compatible mount will work so search your favorite online sources for a GoPro stem mount. There was another post here with one.

I understood that Mike wants to put the front light at the fork where it's also often on bicycles.
We would prefer it there as well, as some cables are in way now and we want to use a Ortlieb bag at the handle bar.
images.jpg

But to mount it at the fork you need to flip the Hecto light 180 degrees and it would blind oncoming traffic. I opened the front light today and it looks like it's NOT possible to flip the housing or the mount like you can do on other lights. At least not with the Hecto 65 on the 4.0, it seems a special housing/mount for the Vado SL.
But maybe someone has found a solution or I did not see the trick?

There is no hole in the fork crown on the Vado SL to mount a light. It does not look like there is enough material margin to even drill a hole without eventual catastrophic failure.

There are several mounts that could be used for the light on the stem. In addition to the K-edge this mount is also available that will accommodate the light and a Garmin mount which works for the Specialized TCU as well.

Doesn't this look like a threaded hole through the whole fork for fenders and also front light?

How is your fender mounted? Or do the non-EQ Vado SLs have forks without whole?
No, if I look now at Stefans photo doing some workout by lifting a 4.0 non-EQ I can see the hole in the fork as well.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-06-13 at 10.00.21(1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-06-13 at 10.00.21(1).jpeg
    142.2 KB · Views: 262
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-06-13 at 10.00.21.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-06-13 at 10.00.21.jpeg
    251.7 KB · Views: 289
Last edited:
The Vado 5 SL has only a small threaded hole on the back side for the fender. I'm not sure if it's cost savings or due to the shock in the headset that is a difference between the 4 SL and 5 SL.

Has anybody figured out what to do with the front light in order to use an Ortlieb handlebar bag?

Hi everyone, just joined the Forum and really am enjoying the knowledge and knowhow everyone has here! I very recently purchased a Vado Sl 4 and ideally want to fit a Redshift Shock Stop stem but rather than cable tie the lezyne ebike hecto stvzo e65 to the stem was wondering if its possible to mount it to the front frame - does anyone know if there's an aftermarket mount which could be used for this? The stvo e65 comes with such a mount but I guess Specialized have swapped it out for their own to fit onto their stem system? Any thoughts would be most welcome! Thanks!
You can absolutely install a Redshift ShockStop stem and relocate the light onto a GoPro mount.

See this accessory from Redshift:

You can enhance your stem with the Utility Mount and then install a GoPro mount for the Lezyne light there.
I could do a similar thing without the Utility Mount yet:

1659380030424.png

I did this on a Vado SL 5.0

Thank you for the prompt and useful reply. Perhaps this is the solution I am looking for.

You can absolutely install a Redshift ShockStop stem and relocate the light onto a GoPro mount.

See this accessory from Redshift:

You can enhance your stem with the Utility Mount and then install a GoPro mount for the Lezyne light there.
I could do a similar thing without the Utility Mount yet:

View attachment 130917
Thank you for the prompt and useful reply.

My solution to the light/cables problem, around £6 here in UK from eBay.

Attachments

• 20220805_100139[1].jpg
    20220805_100139[1].jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 293
  • 20220805_100121[1].jpg
    20220805_100121[1].jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 303
Stefan & others, I finally found a Redshift stem for a reasonable price. But I doubt that mounting the front light on a moving stem is a good idea. I guues it will work better at the fork (where my 4.0 luckily has a hole...). But the cheap/special (for the Vado 4.0) Lezyne Hector needs to be installed vice versa. Are there "mounting brackets" to mount it vice versa at the fork? Or do I just need one which is long enough?
Or did you all (with suspnension stem) mount the light at the stem/handle bar and it still works ok there?

But I doubt that mounting the front light on a moving stem is a good idea.
It is a very good idea, and the GoPro mount on the Redshift ShockStop Utility mount has been flawlessly working for me since 23rd of September 2022.

1677884402041.png

Contrary to what you could think Jodi, the Redshift ShockStop stem is not a pogo-stick, and it is not vibrating so the front light is very steady. Trust me: I ride my Vado SL at least on every second day.

A warning: The diameter of the Utility Mount is 25.4 mm while a typical GoPro mount for the bike handlebar is 31.8 mm. Unless you can buy a 25.4 mm GoPro bike mount, you will need a shim. I could not buy that shim from Redshift so made own from a piece of rubber. Perhaps it is even better!

P.S. I ride in forests very often. No issue.

They have versions with Go-Pro mounts on the bottom which should work with the light on the Vado SL. I just ordered one and, assuming it indeed works, will also be getting a Shock Stop stem.
I replaced my stem and am looking for a light mount solution vado SL. What worked for you?

Back