Turbo Vado 3.0 Step Through

Johnitahoe

A friend of mine has ordered a Turbo Vado 3.0 Step Through - We ride on gravel sometimes and she will probably want to put a more aggressive and wider tire. What size tire width will fit on this bike? John

With the tight fitting Specialized fenders it's hard to see that a much wider tire will fit. Other threads have discussed this as well. The general conclusion was that with the fenders you might be able to go with a 50-622 tire vs the 700x47 OEM tires. More aggressive threads may make this even problematic.

I find that the OEM tires are OK on packed gravel. Loose, rutted gravel, not so much.

With the tight fitting Specialized fenders it's hard to see that a much wider tire will fit. Other threads have discussed this as well. The general conclusion was that with the fenders you might be able to go with a 50-622 tire vs the 700x47 OEM tires. More aggressive threads may make this even problematic.

I find that the OEM tires are OK on packed gravel. Loose, rutted gravel, not so much.
Fully agree. We made measurements on my Vado and the slick 51-622 tyres hardly fit the Vado's mudguards. The fit is so tight the rainwater feels like it were "boiling" in the tight gap between the fender and the tyre. If a more "offroad" tyre is needed, the 47-622 knobby one should fit, but the 2" will certainly not.

I'll be removing my fenders (and have to figure out a way to preserve the wiring for the lights) when I get my Vado 4 in December so I can switch out the tires that come on it for700 x 50 knobby tires when we go ride in the desert. Is that doable for you (her?)

I'll be removing my fenders (and have to figure out a way to preserve the wiring for the lights) when I get my Vado 4 in December so I can switch out the tires that come on it for700 x 50 knobby tires when we go ride in the desert. Is that doable for you (her?)
If you want a really wide tire I'd keep the fenders on and get some 27.5 wheels, then you can run up to a 2.8 tire I believe. I'm running Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro's on 27.5 wheels, I'll post a pic when it's ready for winter mode.

Back