Turbo Como SL 5.0

CareyR

I looked at one at the dealer and he said if you take off that plastic basket the light cannot be re-attached. Is that true? Why did they even put that basket on there?

When are the models with the IGH supposed to be available? It still says coming in 2022.

My bike shop was told to expect 2022 ebikes the first part of April, but skeptical me is doubtful.

Last edited:
I looked at one at the dealer and he said if you take off that plastic basket the light cannot be re-attached. Is that true? Why did they even put that basket on there?

When are the models with the IGH supposed to be available? It still says coming in 2022.

I took a test ride on the Turbo Como SL 5.0 in February. I've been riding a Cannondale analogue hybrid 3x8 speed and was looking for something to help my 73 year old self a bit getting up mostly relatively short moderate hills. The Como SL felt heavy, I believe it weighs about 48 pounds. I also found it hard to shift the Alfine 8 IGH, particularly when going uphill. My wife has a 2015 Benelli Classica with a front hub motor and a Nexus 8 IGH in the rear that is much easier to shift and I do understand one must really ease up on the pedaling to shift down. But with the Como it seemed like you really had to stop pedaling, which on a hill affects your momentum. I assume the fact that the Como is mid motor makes the difference. As to the basket, my understanding is that you can remove the plastic basket but need to leave the flat metal frame it sits on which the light is attached to. I found the basket distracting as it doesn't move when you turn the wheel, being attached to the frame. All in all I was disappointed. Perhaps I'm also not ready for such an upright position.
I should say I just ride recreationally, and am not very mechanically inclined, so the thought of a low maintenance IGH was very appealing. The day after my test ride I tested a Vado 4.0 SL Step-through and it felt great. Just like a regular bike. It is being delivered to me on Monday.
Marty

I meant to reply to you but replied to Dlee instead.
Marty

I have a Como SL 5 and took the basket off in five minutes and attached reattached the light using a small piece of pipe foam and tie wraps. Looks good. I'll attach a pic when I get a minute.

You should be able to order the IGH now

Back