Tubeless tyres

ChrisH

I purchased a Gain M20i. It came with Mavic tubeless rims and Mavic UST tubeless tyres 700 x 28 but was fitted with tubes. I did about 1000 km with no problems but on one day I had 3 punctures about 20 km apart. When putting in new tubes on the ride I couldn't find any problem. After running out of tubes, my support crew (my wife) collected my bike and myself and took me home. I finally found a small piece of wire that had caused all 3 punctures.

I decided to convert the wheels to full tubeless with the Mavic valves and some sealant. The tyres went on with just my floor pump and I put the sealant in through the valve with no mess. After pumping up an extremely small amount of sealant came out a hole where the wire was and then no more.

I have done about 300 km since with no problems. I have the pressure set at about 65 psi front and 75 psi in the back.

Overall I have happy with the tubeless setup.

Chris

Which tires did you use? The original set or did you switch? I switched out the original tires to SCHWALBE Pro One TLE run at 45/55 F/R and the ride has improved tremendously.

I had similar issues. M30 with mavic aksium rims and yksion tubles tyres, but innertubes fitted!!!
I had a rusty old tack puncture my tyre and the shaft of the tack ended up rattling around inside. I only realised tubes were fitted when removing the tyre.
I had a hell of a job remounting the tyre and damage a few tubes in the process. Further punctures ensued and I realise the tack had slightly damaged the rim tape causing the tubes to get nicked. Out on the road it was almost impossible to remount the tyre, at home it was marginally easier with the aid of soapy water. I caused further damage to the edge of the rim tape, which on mine appears to be a semi rigid platic rather than a soft rubberised tape, even with the platic levers before they gave up. I have repaired this, but not the scuffing to the rims after having to resort to steel levers to get the things back on.

I understand the theory and benefits beind the tubless argument, the tyre not having to be removed and the use of sealant for self repairing or plugs for larger holes, lower pressures etc. Trouble is, my first encounter required tyre removal. I have also suffered a similar issue with my car, no spare wheel, only sealant and a pump, which failed to repair the hole. So I needed an expensive call out, to have a crap brand tyre fitted to get me home, as they didn't have the brand to match those already fitted. So unfortunately my mind is poisoned lol.

Therefore I have reverted to a Continental gp 5000 clincher. I can refit simply and have peace of mind. Tyre is brilliant in terms of grip and rolling resistance, far superior to the originals. Supposed to have better puncture resistance than a std clincher due to kevlar construction. Not sure how long they will last in terms of milage though.

It is interesting that Contis were the easy fit solution, particularly as they are reputed to not play well with Mavic rims.

I arrived at the tubeless option almost as a last resort. I find the M30 to be the harshest riding bike I’ve ever ridden. So much so that at 210 lbs I had my pressures down to 70 rr and 60 front—with the inner tubes.

Feedback from another suggested that the Schwalbe 30 mm tubeless could be my solution, so I gave it a go. It was timely as Merlin cycles had them on sale. Set up was as easy as can be and the ride is like sponge cake.

The difference is radical one. The low tire pressure with inner tubes was akin to changing tires in a sports car: impacts were dulled but ride quality remained insufficiently dampened. The tubeless tires are like changing the suspension on the sports car entirely. I am now converting all my bikes to tubeless, even the titanium one.

Mavic are in some financial difficulty now but one thing they have done properly is UST rim and tubeless technology. That alone should merit their future financial well being I hope.

I have to say my switch to clincher was due purely paranoia, due to the extreme dificulty I had when having to refit the tubeless tyres, I can't see what problems the Continental GP 5000 clincher with innertube (recommended by a serious cycling friend) will pose on the Mavic ust rim, as they went on very nicely. I initially pumped them up to a firm thumb made no impression level, just because it took a bit of pressure to seat the bead equally around the rim. Took it for a ride around the block to test and they felt extremely quick, but the ride was painful. Lowered the pressure a bit, to a hard, but the thumb made an impression level and rode 60 miles. Comfort was suprisingly very good indeed. I was stunned that I could really tell a huge difference in rolling resistance, as I was very sceptical of this claim. Grip and stability feels far better. It even rained very heavily and wet grip felt assured but I was definitely not giving them any work to do.
No idea how the remaining miles will pan out, I don't expect the life to be great, they really are that grippy despite the aformentioned low rolling resistance.
Assuming they continue to impress, I could be tempted to fit the tubless version when they expire. At least with the Mavic rims we have the choice.

I'm running my Gain tubeless with the Mavic UST tires that came with it. I wore out the rear tire already and replaced it with the same make/model tire. I've had several punctures in the rear tire, but all sealed out on the road without having to put in a tube. There was some spraying of the sealant (I'm using Orange Seal Endurance) that made a small mess. I've had infrequent flats with tubed tires on my other bikes, but with the added difficulties of removing the rear wheel on the Gain (axle nuts and a connector to deal with), I think running tubeless is better on this bike.

I am running tubeless with the original Mavic Aksium Elite Disc UST rims and the Mavic tyres. When I replace the tyres I was looking at the Continental Grand Prix 5000 TL tubeless tyre, but I am checking if there are any problems.

1. Has anyone used Continental Grand Prix 5000 TL tyres? If so are there any problems?

2. If someone has used the Continental Grand Prix 5000 TL tyres have they tried the 32 mm tyres?

Chris

I am running tubeless with the original Mavic Aksium Elite Disc UST rims and the Mavic tyres. When I replace the tyres I was looking at the Continental Grand Prix 5000 TL tubeless tyre, but I am checking if there are any problems.

1. Has anyone used Continental Grand Prix 5000 TL tyres? If so are there any problems?

2. If someone has used the Continental Grand Prix 5000 TL tyres have they tried the 32 mm tyres?

Chris
From what I've read in other forums, these tires are really hard to mount/dismount, especially on Mavic UST rims. I would not recommend them. If you don't like the Mavic tires, I read that the Hutchinson Fusion 5 tires are a good fit. Personally, I like the Mavic tires.

I installed 28mm Continental GP 5000 TL tires on the original Mavic Aksium Elite Disc UST rims. It was by far the easiest tubeless install I've ever done on road-style wheels -- no problem at all! We also separately switched to a 42mm gravel tire for some off-road riding later this summer, and that also fit fine with no clearance or sealing issues on the Gain M20.
Shaena

I installed 28mm Continental GP 5000 TL tires on the original Mavic Aksium Elite Disc UST rims. It was by far the easiest tubeless install I've ever done on road-style wheels -- no problem at all! We also separately switched to a 42mm gravel tire for some off-road riding later this summer, and that also fit fine with no clearance or sealing issues on the Gain M20.
Shaena
That’s great News! More options is a great thing and I’m looking at the 32mm GP5K after the Schwalbes wear out.

Shaena

It's good news. There have been reports of problems of fitting Continental tubeless on Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon SL UST wheels and Kysirium Elite UST wheels. I will also looking at the 32mm Continental tubeless tyres. Maybe these will also be easy to install on the Mavic Aksium Elite Disc UST rims.

Chris

Great feedback on the tubeless tire system... how often do you need to refresh the sealant?

I am using Effetto Mariposa Caffélatex and planning to check/top it up every 4 months with the Mavic tyres. This is based on the product information.

I haven't had the tryes running as tubeless for that long yet!

I am using Effetto Mariposa Caffélatex and planning to check/top it up every 4 months with the Mavic tyres. This is based on the product information.

I haven't had the tryes running as tubeless for that long yet!

Thanks for your response... this is consistent with what I have read about refreshing the sealant every 6 months.

I am still on my Mavic tyres running as tubeless, topping up with sealant every 4 months. They are still very good.
I am still looking at the next set of tyres. I am wondering if anyone has new input on:
1. Good brands to use
2. Suitability of changing to 32 mm tyres?

Thanks

Lots of choices. Panaracer makes great tires. Great value. I want some Rene Herse ultralights in the 32-40, but those are high end. You can read about tires and width on their site (RH). I run Panaracer 34s at 28psi. Faster than 40 psi by a lot.

Which Panaracers are the "34s"? I can't find any in that size.
Are they a road tubeless?
Are the 34s good at higher speed cornering?

Chris

Which Panaracers are the "34s"? I can't find any in that size.
Are they a road tubeless?
Are the 34s good at higher speed cornering?

Chris
Oops sorry I got the 38s and 32s. I run both tubeless. I ride mostly chip seal and some gravel, so I use the 38s mostly. The corner well because they are nicely rounded shape and the side treads work well when you tip over. I have not done cornering over 30 mph because I don't ride that fast out of caution. They make a 35 too, and they make variants of the King SK.

Amazon.com : Gravel King SK 700 x 38 cm Folding Tire, Black/Brown : Sports & Outdoors

Just for kicks, here is the one I want in an ultralight. I used to ride sew-ups (tubulars) and this would be the close. Nothing like them especially when cornering.

700C x 35 Bon Jon Pass TC Tire | Rene Herse Cycles

I would not recommended that Rene Herse tires be run tubeless. I had sealant bleed through the casing, a bubble in the tread, and permanently stretched out beads making a remounted tire almost impossible to inflate. The Gravel King is a good tire for tubeless. I use Hutchinson Overides on my other bike. They are good too, but have higher rolling resistance than the Gravel King (but does that matter much on an ebike?).

Back