Trying to decide between 500 and Limited

Tito'sHandle

I'm 6'2 and probably 220 right now (Covid ugh). I had a Mountain bike that I road a lot from 94 to around 2000 then had kids and never really got back to it much. I'm 54.

The 500 seems like such a great value but I fear I will feel like I settled for less and wish I had a 750 watt motor if I buy it. I just did something similar with a Weber Grill and don't want to go through that again. In for a penny, in for a pound. If anyone here with the 500 thinks it's got plenty of power I'd certainly listen.

I want something that can be ridden on trails. I won't be jumping stumps or boulders but small sticks and roots etc.. gotta be able to do that and the fatter tires on the limited seem like they will be better suited to that.

Any input would be appreciated. I'm just looking for a nudge.

The 500, 700, and LMT'D have all been on my radar. I actually went to order the 500 but bailed out at the last minute because of a delayed shipping date. After further review, I have narrowed down to the 700 and LMT'D. The 500 tires are not that much smaller at 2.2" vs. 2.4" on the 700 and LMT'D. For trails, especially if they have much for hills, the LMT'D and its more natural pedaling assist using a torque sensor based PAS looks like a better choice. I do mostly rural road riding with nearly continuous pedealing for exercise, so the cadence sensor based PAS should be fine, plus I know that the 700 (just like the 500) allows granular power settings of each assist level. The previous LMT'D shipments with the included APT 500C LCD do not, and it's not yet known if the new LMT'D shipments with the new KD218 LCD (same as 700 series) will allow those same adjustments as with the 700 since no one has even received one of the updated LMT'D's yet. I was leaning toward the LMT'D but after reading some more reviews, I'm not sure. The 500 still looks good, although I'm focused on the 700 and LMT'D at this point . Depends on the size of the hills and how much energy you want to put into pedaling also whether those power differences matter. At some point, even a mid-drive is preferred for hills. I'm likely holding off until next spring due to these delayed shipments. And on that topic, the 500 has an earlier shipment date, so there's that.

Last edited:
You can lower the pedal assist but you can't adjust for low power. The Limited is lighter which is cool too. I think for me the 500 is appealing because it's such a great value. I could buy that and a cheap hard tail 29" mountain bike for about the same price as the limited. I just think having a powerful ebike might be worth the extra money.

Last edited:
You can lower the pedal assist
Yes, that's a common feature among all these e-bikes, but some bikes don't go as low as others, and people sometimes complain about the speed/power being too high in the lowest assist. I saw some complaints about the Core-5 running at 18 mph in PAS 1 on youtube comments. They didn't want to go that fast in PAS 1. And I agree, that's way to much power in PAS 1. That's sure no way to get good exercise when the assist is providing so much power unless you pedal unneccesarily fast just to compensate for it rather than at the speed you want to ride. That's why the individual assist power config available on the 500 and 700 is so nice so that you can tweak those assist levels to provide the amount of power you prefer. But as mentioned, this might not be an option on the LMD'T. I think it is an option with the new Core-5's since they changed to the KD21C LCD display (same at the 500's).

but you can adjust for low power.

As worded, I'm not sure what you mean by this part that "you can adjust for low power". I can take that several ways. The 500 and 700 are the only ones confirmed to have the settings I've mentioned, at this point. Core-5 with new LCD likely does. LMT'D is a harder call, although the same LCD certainly shows the functionality with the 700.

The Limited is lighter which is cool too. I think for me the 500 is appealing because it's such a great value. I could buy that and a cheap hard tail 29" mountain bike for about the same price as the limited. I just think having a powerful ebike might be worth the extra money.
The weight is pretty close to the 500. There's a bigger difference with the 700, but it comes with rack/fenders. The extra power could come in handy depending on your riding situation, but the torque sensor based PAS in the LMT'D is especially nice for its more natural pedaling assistance when riding on trails. If I did much trail riding or had bigger hills to climb, I would definitely go with the LMT'D. If you want to save the most money, then the 500 is a nice bike for the money. I damn near bought it.

Last edited:
You can individual adjust assist power levels up and down on the 500 and 700, as I mentioned earlier, not sure about LMT'D yet. Otherwise, you're limited to using whatever is preset. But at least you can move to low assist levels when you want to adjust to low power, even if it's not as low as we would like. I'm hoping the LMT'D will provide those config options as well if I get one. But the 700 is still an option, and I don't need to worry much about it until closer to spring time.

You can individual adjust assist power levels up and down on the 500 and 700, as I mentioned earlier, not sure about LMT'D yet. Otherwise, you're limited to using whatever is preset. But at least you can move to low assist levels when you want to adjust to low power, even if it's not as low as we would like. I'm hoping the LMT'D will provide those config options as well if I get one. But the 700 is still an option, and I don't need to worry much about it until closer to spring time.

What I mean is you can't make an underpowered motor more powerful. Better to have more power than you need and not use it than not have enough power.

What I mean is you can't make an underpowered motor more powerful. Better to have more power than you need and not use it than not have enough power.
OK. The LMT'D would be better for that and for mountain biking, but if I was very serious about mountain biking, I would want a mid-drive, and maybe even a mid-drive with a full suspension, albeit pretty expensive for a good quality full suspension mid-drive eMTB.

We have a R1up500 and it is plenty powerful. No issue with hills in our area. It is a nice, stable clean bike. It is quick also. My son's doesn't have fenders or rack and it is lighter than my similar Espin Sport. You can get fenders and rack if you want them. The only reason I might get the 700 is because it has hydraulic brakes. The battery replacement options on the 500 are also good.

For mountain biking, seems like mid-drive is better.

Yeah. Another wrinkle. Now I'm thinking just get in cheap with the 500 and wait for mid-drive motor model prices to come down for the next ebike. Get the 500, ride the wheels off of it/get my money's worth.

Reactions: BET
Can anyone speak to the lack of hydraulic brakes on the 500 and the difference between the cadence sensor on that bike vs the torque sensor on the Limited? I think I have that right if not please let me know.

Can anyone speak to the lack of hydraulic brakes on the 500 and the difference between the cadence sensor on that bike vs the torque sensor on the Limited? I think I have that right if not please let me know.
The torque sensor based PAS is more natural assist, and people tend to like it better when it works well, such as the LMT'D after the controller was updated. There are some videos out on youtube that go into the differences. Here's a recent thread on this forum:

The disk brakes on the 500 work well. Ours squeeks some. May because it is new. Maybe ask Ride1up about the geometry for the 500 step through.

Presplan : I looked at specs for 500 step through. Minimum height of seat is 31 and reach is 18, same as the standard 500. My son is 5'6"-5'7" and he has to have his seat all the way down on his standard 500. It is a big bike. If you send them an e mail they are very responsive. I think you likely could find a different bike that would be a better fit. The Aventon bikes for example come in small versions that would fit you better. Also Lectric xp step through and Radrunner would fit. I am sure there are other options.

I'm still tempted to get the 500 just to "get in" and take advantage of the tremendous value. The fatter tires, more powerful motor, and torque sensor on the Limited are very appealing though. This will be used on gravel and packed dirt trails mostly. Not a lot of rock jumping. Just occasional roots and small rocks.

Silly me. I looked at the dimensions and realize that for my size the Limited is the way to go if I go with Ride 1 Up.

The Sondors Rockstar and the limited are similar in max seat height with the Rockstar being 1.4 inches taller.

Limited 40
Rockstar 41.4
500 37.5

These things matter when you have a 35" inseam.

Silly me. I looked at the dimensions and realize that for my size the Limited is the way to go if I go with Ride 1 Up.

The Sondors Rockstar and the limited are similar in max seat height with the Rockstar being 1.4 inches taller.

Limited 40
Rockstar 41.4
500 37.5

These things matter when you have a 35" inseam.
Odd. The R1up 700 says top seat height is 41. The 500 and 700 both say they fit people up to 6'4". I do not think either bike would be too short for you.

Back