Trying to decide between 500 and Limited

Odd. The R1up 700 says top seat height is 41. The 500 and 700 both say they fit people up to 6'4". I do not think either bike would be too short for you.

I'm not that interested in the 700s and was interested in the 500 for the value but I think 37.5 is way too low a seat height for me. I was watching a review of the SONDORS MXS where the guy said he's 6'4" and could not quite get full pedal extension on that bike and that one is 41" seat height. I'm 6'2" but have disproportionately long legs for my height.

I'm 6' and my seat height is just over 41" to the ground, but it drops about 1/2 an inch when I sit on it because of the suspension seat post. However, the top of my pedal is 5 1/2" above the ground at its lowest point. I think the Ride1Up bikes' pedals are closer to the ground. In one of the reviews, the guy reviewing the Ride1Up bike commented on how the pedal hit the ground while he was turning.

Last edited:
You could easily get a longer seat post. My son has a Ride1up 500 received in July 2020. He has not had any issue of the pedal touching the ground when he turns.

Last edited:
You could easily get a longer seat post. My son has a Ride1up 500 received in July 2020. He has not had any issue of the pedal touching the ground when he turns.

How tall is your son? What's his inseam? What type of riding does he do? Thx.

I am also looking to buy a cheap motobecane hardtail 29er from Bikes Direct for "human powered" riding. So many choices. There is a full suspension 29er that looks intriguing too. I would probably get a single drive train for that one. So many choices.

How tall is your son? What's his inseam? What type of riding does he do? Thx.
My son is about 5'6"_5'7"", he was the seat all the way down. We could not install a suspension seat post because the seat was too tall then. The stock seat post is 350 mm. He has a 30 " inseam. He rides mostly streets and trails/paths. You can get taller seat posts. The suntour suspension seat post for example comes in both 350 mm and 400 mm and there are taller seat post available as well. The wheels are 27.5 and the wider than street tires also add some height to the bike IMHO. The reach is longer in the R1up 500 than in my Espin Sport of similar size. The Sport reach is 17. The R1up 500 standard frame reach is 22.

When the pedal is at its lowest point to the ground, with the pedal level/parallel to the ground, how high is it from the ground to the top of the pedal? And please specify which model of bike you are referring to. Thank you.

Last edited:
I've had my ride1up 500 for 5 months now. I would purchase it again in a heartbeat. I have 600 miles on it and my only maintenance has been to oil the chain once. I'm 6'1" and 195 lbs and the bike's performance in hilly Prescott is excellent. Handling is very good as is ride quality. I did add a Suntour suspension seat post which I recommend for heavier riders. The bike is tight and solid. I did change the PAS levels from 9 to 5 and appreciate all the adjustability that the 500 display/controller provides. I love the looks of the bike ... the color, lines and semi-integrated battery, make it look like something from the future to me. I typically get 35 to 45 miles on a charge. Prior to my purchase I had ridden the Rad City, Rover, Mini, Espin Sport and Flow, Aventon 350 and 500 and a Specialized mid drive MTB. Of all these, my No. 1 is the Ride1up, with the Espin a close second.

I also purchased an Espin Flow (the Ride1up 500 step thru was not available at that time) for my wife. At a similar price point, both of these bikes are exceptional values. I do like the hydraulic brakes on her Espin, much less hand force required and very powerful. But I can stop both bikes equally well, just need more pressure on the non-hydraulic brakes. If you are on the fence, I can highly recommend the Espin bikes or the Ride1up 500.

Last edited:
Reactions: BET
The seat heights are measured from the bottom of the pedal stroke to the seat. I did not realize that. I still prefer being able to make my seat pretty high as my legs are disproportionately long but that makes 37.5 seem much more reasonable.
I've had my ride1up 500 for 5 months now. I would purchase it again in a heartbeat. I have 600 miles on it and my only maintenance has been to oil the chain once. I'm 6'1" and 195 lbs and the bike's performance in hilly Prescott is excellent. Handling is very good as is ride quality. I did add a Suntour suspension seat post which I recommend for heavier riders. The bike is tight and solid. I did change the PAS levels from 9 to 5 and appreciate all the adjustability that the 500 display/controller provides. I love the looks of the bike ... the color, lines and semi-integrated battery, make it look like something from the future to me. I typically get 35 to 45 miles on a charge. Prior to my purchase I had ridden the Rad City, Rover, Mini, Espin Sport and Flow, Aventon 350 and 500 and a Specialized mid drive MTB. Of all these, my No. 1 is the Ride1up, with the Espin a close second.

I also purchased an Espin Flow (the Ride1up 500 step thru was not available at that time) for my wife. At a similar price point, both of these bikes are exceptional values. I do like the hydraulic brakes on her Espin, much less hand force required and very powerful. But I can stop both bikes equally well, just need more pressure on the non-hydraulic brakes. If you are on the fence, I can highly recommend the Espin bikes or the Ride1up 500.

Thanks for the input. What's your inseam and how high do you put your seat up?

I just read you want your seat height to be 109% of your inseam. For 36 inches that makes it around 39 inches which means it's still lowish for a guy with long legs.

I just read you want your seat height to be 109% of your inseam. For 36 inches that makes it around 39 inches which means it's still lowish for a guy with long legs.
Seat height to ground isn't relevant. It only matters in relationship to the pedal for fit. Your feet aren't on the ground while riding.

Seat height to ground isn't relevant. It only matters in relationship to the pedal for fit. Your feet aren't on the ground while riding.
Actually, for many it is very relevant. Just look at the people that can't touch the ground, on their tip toes, at a stop.

Regarding the OP's original question ... 500 or L'MTD. I think a lot of people fail to recognize that in 5 years, or less, whatever you purchase, will likely be way outdated. As quickly as the technology is changing, there's a good chance that you will want to trade up in 5 years. That's why I would never purchase a $5,000 + bike now. The 700 and the L'MTD have some real advantages over the 500. Considering a 5 year use cycle and thinking about an extra $50 or $75 per year over the 500. That's a good way to think about the value of the upgrades to your use scenario.

I've had a 500 for 6 months now, and am very happy with it. I will have to say that hydraulic brakes, on a 28 mph bicycle (sometimes going 35 - 40 down hill), are worth a lot. I can stop my 500 mechanical brakes just as fast as a bike with hydraulic brakes, but it requires a lot of hand pressure. The hydraulic brakes just feel more refined and higher end. Remember the difference, way back, when power brakes were introduced in autos ... you could never go back to non- power brakes ... "A luxury once sampled becomes a necessity", lol. Also, hydraulics are much easier to modulate off road.

Last edited:
Back