Trek or Hiabike

BobTheKajun

Hi Everyone,

I am looking at the Trek Allant+ 9.9S, and the Haibike SDURO Trekking 9.0 High Step E-Bikes. They both have the features I am looking for and are basically in the $4,000 to $6,000 price range I am looking at.

Here are the things I like about the E-Bikes above, and want in an E-Bike -- Class 3; Bosch 350 Watt motor; large wattage batteries (500+ Wh); up to 28 mph peddle assist; greater than 80+ miles in Eco mode. The reason I like these features are that I will be moving later this year and my commute to work will be 70 miles round trip. I live in the Dallas, Texas area and would like to make this commute on an E-Bike whenever possible.

I would appreciate any thoughts and/or advice in regards to the E-Bikes I am looking at.

I don’t think the haibike uses the latest Bosch motor...
easier to chip th old model currently otherwise I think the newer version has the edge, suppport closer/better for which model? There are some complaints about the shifter on the 9s....Haibike leaving/left Canada, not a good to see a company take a backwards step IMHO... FYI i was waiting for the Flyon version of the Haibike ' too far away I think , Haibike has disappointed me...80 miles per charge if you coast maybe and don’t go up a hill or face the wind either a 2nd battery or 2nd charger or both will be used I would think on either bike..all my opinion

Hi Everyone,

I am looking at the Trek Allant+ 9.9S, and the Haibike SDURO Trekking 9.0 High Step E-Bikes. They both have the features I am looking for and are basically in the $4,000 to $6,000 price range I am looking at.

I concur with @opimax that they are different motors (Haibike is using the older motor). Given that the Haibike is aluminum frame and has front suspension whereas the Allant 9.9s is carbon and does not have front suspension, have you considered one of the other Allant models? I own the Allant 9.9s but only have about 100 miles on it. I own a Haibike XDuro Trekking 4.0 (CX motor class 1) with about 2,000 miles. I can say that the Haibike is solid and extremely well-built. I probably don't have enough miles on the Allant to give it props yet.

Trek has a reputation for excellent customer service, which is worth a lot if something goes wrong. I'm not sure about Haibike in that respect.

Also, Trek is about to release a new Allant+ Sport model with a front suspension fork. I'm pretty sure that this new model will have the aluminum frame--- maybe not quite as sexy as a carbon frame, but with a Class 3 bike, I'd rather have the fork than the carbon. I have a Bulls Grinder EVO, 28mph bike with drop bars and a suspension fork, and believe me, the fork is greatly appreciated on the fissured pavement and frost-heaved roads of Maine... not to mention the dirt I sometimes ride on.

Plus, as JayVee mentioned, the new Bosch Speed motor and bigger battery are very compelling. Good luck in your hunt for the perfect ebike!

I think that the Haibke 9.0 is available with an optional second battery for 1KW total. I have 5600 miles on a '17 Treking and have no complaints at all. The 9.0 would be my choice for my next ride if only it was full suspension.

BobTheCajun, that’s a fabulous commute. Flat? Hilly? Are you able to charge the battery at work, especially if you encounter any headwinds?
I would lean towards the most watt hours possible. I say that because very seldom do I ride in eco mode, mostly because it’s so darn fun to go fast 😊😎.
Please post photo of your new bike!

It is above your budget at $6800, but I would suggest the Wattwagon Ultimate Commuter Pro. Not the prettiest bike (at least to my eyes), but it is high power and every component should be well suited for the demands of commuting and offer long service life. Titanium frame, 750 or 1000W integrated Bafang mid-drive, 880wh battery, Gates drive belt, Rohloff transmission, etc. Even the choice of handlebar and saddle is smart. It appears the only things missing are a mirror and mounts for a bottle.

Why not one of Riese & Mueller HS. Double battery, the chain drive-train. Pricey, true.

Factors to consider:

1. carbon fiber over aluminum
  2. much better drive train - 12 speed with a 10-42 cassette
  3. great dealer network
  4. the Haibike has a front air shock fork - more comfortable than the rigid fork
  5. Haibike has a more fully functional rack
  6. Trek has better lighting
  7. Haibike has an Intuvia disply,trek has the smart phone hub. I prefer the intuvia and an easy upgrade to a Nyon
Both are great bikes.
OF the two, my vote goes to the Trek
I suggest you test ride both and add the Riese & Muller Supercharger and Delight to your test list.

Back