Trek Allant+ 8S -2020 Model - Amazing style and value at $4299

Ravi Kempaiah

Region
Canada
City
Halifax
I thought this bike offers tremendous value. Looks stylish, offers latest hardware and amazing Trek dealerships and service.

Considering all aspects of an E-bike from hardware to service, I don't see any bike coming close to what this is offering for a street legal Class 3 bike.

1567727199179.png

Nice ride, but I am not sure that I would call this a value buy... much cheaper to add a speed dongle/doubler to a nice 20 mph bike.

I also like the new Allant but I don't think I agree with you on the value proposition.

It is a better proposition compared to the super commuter, supports 625 + 500wh optional battery etc but still at $4300 you get no suspension and mid-good components like deore 10 speed derailleur.

On the positive side I am happy that now they offer both normal and speed versions with a price difference of $300 which is kinda ok. I hope the new Bosch systems can be purchased as class 3 if the buyer wants to.

And for the $6K carbon model I think your WW is a much better value at a similar price.

The things I like are:

It comes with Kiox, which when removed completely locks the motor.
I have huge respect for TREK because they have extremely dense dealer network. It would be hard to go 25 miles without finding a TREK dealer in most cities.
They charge premium for the brand name, wide dealer support, very decent components and 2yr comprehensive warranty.

I agree, $4200 is still a lot of money. I spend a lot of time thinking there's got to be a better way to build reliable E-bikes. The E-bike world needs an Accord or a Camry of E-bikes, not Bentley of E-bikes.
I have a friend who is a senior engineer at Yamaha motor India. They have built a kickass motorcycle with heavy-duty components and they sell over 0.25 million units a year.
The motorcycle costs $2100 USD.. it has dual channel ABS, super heavy-duty tires, wheels, excellent brakes. This is how it looks like and it is warrantied for 30,000 miles. Now, I look at E-bikes, I understand batteries cost a bit but there is a LOT of room for improvement in the E-bike market.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

1567806028423.png

Last edited:
I also like the new Allant but I don't think I agree with you on the value proposition.

It is a better proposition compared to the super commuter, supports 625 + 500wh optional battery etc but still at $4300 you get no suspension and mid-good components like deore 10 speed derailleur.

On the positive side I am happy that now they offer both normal and speed versions with a price difference of $300 which is kinda ok. I hope the new Bosch systems can be purchased as class 3 if the buyer wants to.

And for the $6K carbon model I think your WW is a much better value at a similar price.
What does the WW refer to?

The thing I like are: It comes with Kiox, which when removed completely locks the motor. I have huge respect for TREK because they have extremely dense dealer network. It would be hard to go 25 miles without finding a TREK dealer in most cities. They charge premium for the brand name, wide dealer support, very decent components and 2yr comprehensive warranty.
I agree, $4200 is still a lot of money. I spend a lot of time thinking there's got to be better way to build reliable E-bikes. The E-bike world needs an Accord or a Camry of E-bikes, not Bentley of E-bikes. I have a friend who is a senior engineer at Yamaha motor India. They have built a kickass motorcycle with heavy-duty components and they sell over 0.25 million units a year. The motorcycle costs $2100 USD.. it has dual channel ABS, super heavy-duty tires, wheels, excellent brakes. This is how it looks like and it is warrantied for 30,000 miles. Now, I look at E-bikes, I understand batteries cost a bit but there is a LOT of room for improvement in the E-bike market.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

View attachment 37921

Great perspective on the relative value proposition.

$2,200 for a full spec motorcycle vs. $4,300 for a full spec eBike... the price difference due to mass production.
Let's hope that the adoption of electric bicycles continues to grow at a pace that will allow the price to drop significantly.

Last edited:
Well 4k is a lot better then spending 6-7k on a Stromer that is highly possible to break down on a ride.
In NY , Trek has 3 big stand alone stores . Congrats Trek !

This is the Ebike that is guaranteed to be a hot seller.
1.1kw battery, reliable, Lighter 4gen. Motor, great design.

Is Time to redesign our cities for people, pedestrians , bicycles, ebikes and minimize car usage.

With the motorcycle for indian market - 2.1k BUT IS not an EMOTO. A cheap fast Emoto is 3-4k or higher.

BUY with an analog motorcycle you pay low upfront and then you need lots of parts(oil change, tires, and so on...) It gets very expensive down the line -3-5years.
With a great ebike in 3-4years you need 8-9 sets of brake pads, 3-4 sets of tires, a few tubes, 6-7chains, some steel cables for shifting and maybe some new lights every now and then...
And also the fitness gained is priceless !!

Well 4k is a lot better then spending 6-7k on a Stromer that is highly possible to break down on a ride.
In NY , Trek has 3 big stand alone stores . Congrats Trek !

This is the Ebike that is guaranteed to be a hot seller.
1.1kw battery, reliable, Lighter 4gen. Motor, great design.

Is Time to redesign our cities for people, pedestrians , bicycles, ebikes and minimize car usage.

With the motorcycle for indian market - 2.1k BUT IS not an EMOTO. A cheap fast Emoto is 3-4k or higher.

BUY with an analog motorcycle you pay low upfront and then you need lots of parts(oil change, tires, and so on...) It gets very expensive down the line -3-5years.
With a great ebike in 3-4years you need 8-9 sets of brake pads, 3-4 sets of tires, a few tubes, 6-7chains, some steel cables for shifting and maybe some new lights every now and then...
And also the fitness gained is priceless !!

1.1kw is good but it is probably 1-1.5K extra.

His point is a vehicle that requires similar but more expensive and more components is manufactured cheaper. I mostly agree with this statement except the batteries. Batteries add a lot to the cost but still the ebike prices are ridiculous most of the time.

1.1kw is good but it is probably 1-1.5K extra.

His point is a vehicle that requires similar but more expensive and more components is manufactured cheaper. I mostly agree with this statement except the batteries. Batteries add a lot to the cost but still the ebike prices are ridiculous most of the time.

It comes with the 625 wh and optional the 500wh pack.

That Fz moto brake rotor is 250$. A 180mm ebike rotor is 30$. They make money from the parts that’s the business model. A moto has thousands of parts like a car.
An Ebike may have up to 200 ? Don’t know.

Not sure the cost the extra pack.

Can an older 2017 /2018 500wh pack-meaning it will fit the design ?

Probably not, as Bosch may be a little bit out to do extra sales.

That Allant with carbon frame /red color and 1.1kw bat. For 6k is starting to feel inexpensive if you factor in the long term savings.

Last edited:
It comes with the 625 wh and optional the 500wh pack.

That Fz moto brake rotor is 250$. A 180mm ebike rotor is 30$. They make money from the parts that’s the business model. A moto has thousands of parts like a car.
An Ebike may have up to 200 ? Don’t know.

Not sure the cost the extra pack.

Can an older 2017 /2018 500wh pack-meaning it will fit the design ?

Probably not, as Bosch may be a little bit out to do extra sales.

That Allant with carbon frame /red color and 1.1kw bat. For 6k is starting to feel inexpensive if you factor in the long term savings.

That is why i said $1-1.5k extra, it seems you need to install the housing/connector on top of the price of the 500wh battery. Any of the standard Bosch batteries(not the tube ones) should fit.

According to the website none of the Allants come with 1.150kwh, instead they give you the option to add the additional 500wh battery. So for carbon allant you are looking at 7000-7500+tax.

I don't know others but these prices don't make any sense to me ...

Last edited:
Yea should be around 2.7-4.5k max. But is a lot of technology.
But a nice EMoto is 10k. And that has Lots of extra tech. And a much Bigger Battery and motor !!

From that point aside is definitely not justified a 5-7k price for an ebike...

I would rather buy this instead, but can’t take it where an ebike can go...

Has a 10kw battery , where the Trek has 1kw !!!

13k for 10kw emoto BUT 7.5k for a 1.1kw ebike ??? Not too mention the other hi tech in the emoto..
That IS not fair .

Ps- Not the Ls model, the Strike aluminium is 14k.

Just for the 14kw battery pack is worth it:

Zero Sr

A Bosch 500wh is 7-800$.

Last edited:
IF you want to "piggy back" a battery on the new style 'in tube' battery to achieve the higher capacity, but out the gate, it is what it is andTHAT is what should be used to compare apples to apples; forget the accessories, the extras. What you get for the stock base cost is what should be used for comparisons to competitive products. After all, we all know that additional accessories add cost, so when I see all these numbers, lets compare what is to what it is.......

Back