Trek Allant+ 8S -2020 Model - Amazing style and value at $4299

IF you want to "piggy back" a battery on the new style 'in tube' battery to achieve the higher capacity, but out the gate, it is what it is andTHAT is what should be used to compare apples to apples; forget the accessories, the extras. What you get for the stock base cost is what should be used for comparisons to competitive products. After all, we all know that additional accessories add cost, so when I see all these numbers, lets compare what is to what it is.......

For the base model 8s, we can say that it is a better bicycle than the super commuter since it comes with the new bosch motor and 625wh battery which has %25 higher capacity. It is also $1K cheaper than the outgoing model. Even though base model comes with 625wh battery, having the option of dual battery is still a big plus over super commuter.

Instead of 9s though it would have made much more sense if they had 8s with rohloff and possible suspension fork.

Last edited:
The lack of any suspension on the Allant series is a turnoff for me. I am committed to TREK bikes and will most likely buy the carbon fiber RAIL when I can see one. I wish it had the 28mph limit on it but not a deal breaker.

Add a nice rear rack, suspension fork, Gates belt drive, and a good IGH hub and then you would have an amazing value at $4299. My R&M Nevo GH has all that and more and it only cost $400 more so I'm sure it could be done.

Add a nice rear rack, suspension fork, Gates belt drive, and a good IGH hub and then you would have an amazing value at $4299. My R&M Nevo GH has all that and more and it only cost $400 more so I'm sure it could be done.

The R&M Nevo GH is a really nicely outfitted ride... ;)

Summary

• A heavy-duty version of the standard Nevo with reinforced frame tubing, upgraded stem, handlebar, pedals and a nicer Thudbuster ST suspension seat post, available in two sizes and three colors.
  • This electric bike is easy to approach because of the step-thru wave design but doesn't suffer from frame flex or speed wobble compared to many others I have tried, it's rated to handle up to 353 pounds
  • It includes lots of great safety features such as integrated lights, additional plastic reflectors on the front of the fork sliders, and reflective tires so you can be seen from the side, the tires also have puncture protection
  • Heavier, more expensive, and longer wait times to purchase than most competing products, Riese & Müller build each bike to suit and it can take a month or more to arrive in the US, the NuVinci system with belt drive is durable and easy to shift while pedalling or at standstill.

1573435349656.png

Are they all just women's designs though?

The new politically correct name for that frame is STEP THROUGH or LOW STEP. It is for women and old men who have nothing left to prove to anyone anymore!

The new politically correct name for that frame is STEP THROUGH or LOW STEP. It is for women and old men who have nothing left to prove to anyone anymore!
WHat ? I don't follow Prove what ?

Ohhhhhh boy
Just making a comment : I don't like that they have totally made so many Bikes styled more towards females : That has nothing to do with proving anything : Mens styling is also stronger by design alone. I would guess most older guys know that women's style bicycles are for the period when women all wore Dresses (ALWAYS) From a Practical standPoint a Cross bar after all can have a crushing effect given the right circumstances

My wife said to me last night, "Why do the mens bike have that bar? Won't your balls get crushed if the chain skips or other problem makes your balls hit the crossbar?" She thinks that all bikes should be "low step".
Comments?
(I remember as a kid seeing stars when I crushed my balls.....)

My wife said to me last night, "Why do the mens bike have that bar? Won't your balls get crushed if the chain skips or other problem makes your balls hit the crossbar?" She thinks that all bikes should be "low step".
Comments?
(I remember as a kid seeing stars when I crushed my balls.....)
The Cross bar was and still is for geometry and structural reason. Often the wheelbase is longer : They all had cross bars to start because it was how the Bikes were structured for ride : The lowerstep was introduced originally to protect a women's virtue. Like the old Westerns where they rode side saddle . Were these new designs really gender Neutral the cross bar would slant down . Which they actually do on Most Newer styles. I have a rode bike from teh 1960's and it's much straighter crossbar then the Newer Trek dual Sport is .

Tell your wife while chains do still slip : The odds are way down from say 30 years ago. LOL . I hear yah on the seeing stars

Mixte... the best of both worlds ;)

1575946501182.png

Last edited:
The lack of any suspension on the Allant series is a turnoff for me. I am committed to TREK bikes and will most likely buy the carbon fiber RAIL when I can see one. I wish it had the 28mph limit on it but not a deal breaker.
I visited my LBS, they showed me the Allant 7 and 7S, these versions have front shocks. My LBS said they will be in stock come February. Not sure when they will show up on the website.

I picked up the Allant+ 8S (Matte Metallic Gunmetal) last Friday as part of the Trek Black Friday sale. I've only got about 100 miles on it at this point, but so far it's very impressive and quite fun to ride.

I picked up the Allant+ 8S (Matte Metallic Gunmetal) last Friday as part of the Trek Black Friday sale. I've only got about 100 miles on it at this point, but so far it's very impressive and quite fun to ride.
I had to order as none were in stock. At least I got the Black Friday sale price. I am looking forward to the arrival and logging some miles. need to figure out some panniers as I hope to make the 38 mile round trip to the office at least one a week, more if I can find a good route.

Just discovering the Allant+ line. As of this writing (Feb 2020) the 8s is $4200 and the 9.9s is $9000. Yowsa. I am a Trek loyalist up till now but this may be where we part ways. I LOVE the Allant+ 8s but I just can't justify the ask. Either the Raleigh Redux IE (latest model with fenders, etc.) or the Giant Quick E+ appear to do what the Allant can do for $1000 less. Raleigh and Giant are also much more forthcoming about the ELECTRIC part of the specifications. I still don't know the voltage of the Allant+ battery. I am going to spend the next month or so deciding whether to get the Giant or the Raleigh OR to get a 650B All Road bicycle from Raleigh, Cannondale or Salsa and set it up for commuting, then I will put a TongShen mid-drive on it and have honest Class 3 performance and 100mi. range, and a real rear rack vs the quasi Class 3 and minimalist commuter functionality of the turn key e-bikes (including the Allant+) for another $1000 less ($2000+ savings over the Allant).

Just discovering the Allant+ line. As of this writing (Feb 2020) the 8s is $4200 and the 9.9s is $9000. Yowsa. I am a Trek loyalist up till now but this may be where we part ways. I LOVE the Allant+ 8s but I just can't justify the ask. Either the Raleigh Redux IE (latest model with fenders, etc.) or the Giant Quick E+ appear to do what the Allant can do for $1000 less. Raleigh and Giant are also much more forthcoming about the ELECTRIC part of the specifications. I still don't know the voltage of the Allant+ battery. I am going to spend the next month or so deciding whether to get the Giant or the Raleigh OR to get a 650B All Road bicycle from Raleigh, Cannondale or Salsa and set it up for commuting, then I will put a TongShen mid-drive on it and have honest Class 3 performance and 100mi. range, and a real rear rack vs the quasi Class 3 and minimalist commuter functionality of the turn key e-bikes (including the Allant+) for another $1000 less ($2000+ savings over the Allant).

9.9S is $5,999, not $9,000
Motor on Trek is Bosch, Raleigh and Giant, is 'SynDrive'??....track record?

I can't speak for either the Raleigh or the Giant, although they look like decent bikes, but having owned the Trek since Mid December, I can tell you that the Allant+ 8S is a very well built and designed bike. The Bosch e-bike system is a combination of a good motor driven by well thought out and performing software. It really is both together that make it such a joy to ride.

Back