Transporting a bike in the rain

Updated method to how I prep my bike for travelling on the platform bike rack.

Since I last posted I changed bikes and methods. My new bike, had a damaged battery cover (broken mounting tabs) which was replaced on warranty. I use that with some industrial cling film (5" wide rolls) that I use to wrap key components/areas. I have some wrap left over from 30 years ago... it's previous use in the last 10 years was as shower protection for post leg surgery .

View attachment 69936 View attachment 69937

Battery comes out and extra battery cover goes on. It's then wrapped, including the key lock for the battery area. I just use electrical tape to secure the final wrap.

View attachment 69935

My suspension seatpost is removed, and the original one goes back in and is wrapped to stop water and dust ingress.

View attachment 69934

Lastly, I cover the handlebar areas with plastic bags to protect grips, brake levers, bell, and all other cockpit items. I secure with electrical tape being careful to not compromise any cabling. I plan to build something more elegant someday, but that will be a winter project. I have a cheap rainsuit I plan to use for the materials - the sleeves (or a leg) should work really well.

I don't worry too much about the rest - it's a mountain bike after all, and sometimes sees worse conditions on the trails.
However, on the trails I am NOT doing 120kmh!

Finally, I don't do all this for all trips, but definitely when driving through the high mountain passes (Kicking Horse 1627m and Roger's 1330m) to the west of here.
A few weeks ago we came through snow on our way home from British Columbia. When there's snow, there's ice and when there's ice, there's often road salt...
Quite the wrap job! I’m starting to think about one of these for our longer trips!

Attachments

• 0B210B2A-7565-4C24-A928-E0B773A9E7BD.jpeg
    0B210B2A-7565-4C24-A928-E0B773A9E7BD.jpeg
    280.6 KB · Views: 359
We do a twice a year 1100 mile commute. I put our bikes upright on a 5"x10" aluminum utility trailer, that seems to follow us wherever we go. Doesn't weigh much so you barely notice it's there. I just fold it up against the garage wall when it's not in use. Batteries, seats and chargers go inside the mid size SUV, displays and throttles get covered with freezer bags that are secured with zip ties and we're good to go. We're 6 months at each end, so no salt involved. That would be a significant factor if we had to deal with that.....

We do a twice a year 1100 mile commute. I put our bikes upright on a 5"x10" aluminum utility trailer, that seems to follow us wherever we go. Doesn't weigh much so you barely notice it's there. I just fold it up against the garage wall when it's not in use. Batteries, seats and chargers go inside the mid size SUV, displays and throttles get covered with freezer bags that are secured with zip ties and we're good to go. We're 6 months at each end, so no salt involved. That would be a significant factor if we had to deal with that.....
What make? We’ve also thought about one like this...

I use what started out life as a single place snowmobile trailer. Deck is only about 18" off the ground, so it's easy to load. It's made by Triton which has a great reputation for building "forever" trailers. Wife would kinda like something like the trailer in your link. Nice and secure, and reasonably waterproof I'm sure. My concern would be what it would be like to pull it on windy days - and what it might do to our gas mileage....

Kinda like this one, with 20.5x8.00x10 tires to keep it as low as possible.
https://www.tritontrailers.com/motorcycle/open/

Last edited:
I use what started out life as a single place snowmobile trailer. Deck is only about 18" off the ground, so it's easy to load. It's made by Triton which has a great reputation for building "forever" trailers. Wife would kinda like something like the trailer in your link. Nice and secure, and reasonably waterproof I'm sure. My concern would be what it would be like to pull it on windy days - and what it might do to our gas mileage....

Kinda like this one, with 20.5x8.00x10 tires to keep it as low as possible.
https://www.tritontrailers.com/motorcycle/open/
I’d just keep it on a rack if it’s going to be outside.

great, I have two new Rad E bikes- will be transporting 900 miles to southern Florida in few weeks, using a Kuat NV 2.0 Base carrier-new transported before. I purchased the Formosa cover for two bikes -looks like the one you have-never unfolded yet. I did purchase a net to go over the cover (You Tube guy -said necessary to keep cover from catching wind.)
Question: Do I have to take a lot of time to secure the cover with straps and bungees or does the net hold the cover on safely?-at Interstate Speeds.

I use the straps that are on the cover , they work good. I get the bungee netting very tight on the cover and there is no flapping. I use about 10 carbiners to stretch the net out and fasten to itself. My cover covers my entire rack also, which protects it from wet and salt. Don't use this without a separate light kit like I have($25). It's not safe. You can't see your vehicle lights through the clear plastic on the bike cover.

It looks good and I hope it stays secure. The only problem that I see is the license plate is not visible. This may or may not be a problem with ”some” officers, but if it does present a problem, then be prepared for your next move. The law states that you must have the vehicle registration plate visible and it must be illuminated when being operated in the evening hours. You could probably attach a backing plate like you have the running and brake lights. It would be worth having it done. You’ve gone this far and having something stall your trip just wouldn’t be worth it, Just something to think about. Good luck.

Last edited:
What make? We’ve also thought about one like this...
We use a similar 4' x 6' Interstate trailer for my mountain bike and my wife's Liberty trike. The Turbo Levo barely fits due to its length and height. We barely notice the trailer is there behind our diesel Grand Cherokee. I once caught my wife passing two trucks at 85 mph on the two lane road between Klamath Falls and Weed!! I suggested she might keep her speed down a little with the trailer.

We use a similar 4' x 6' Interstate trailer for my mountain bike and my wife's Liberty trike. The Turbo Levo barely fits due to its length and height. We barely notice the trailer is there behind our diesel Grand Cherokee. I once caught my wife passing two trucks at 85 mph on the two lane road between Klamath Falls and Weed!! I suggested she might keep her speed down a little with the trailer.
It's all good until I need to make a three point turn with a trailer. Sometimes I could do it in one try, other times ... Not Even Close.

If you are referring to the Topeak bike cover, note the last line of the product description:

"The Topeak Bike Cover is not suitable for protecting your bike during transport on a car bike rack."
Just remarking on how the toppeak covers the whole bike. But I'm sure they mention that bike rack clause because you would have to make access for the tongs of the rack to hold the bike, which is somewhat obvious.

It's all good until I need to make a three point turn with a trailer. Sometimes I could do it in one try, other times ... Not Even Close.
I would love to use a trailer for security & weather protection during transport but some of the remote trailheads I frequent are barely large enough to accommodate a pickup let alone a trailer. In the future, I may consider using a trailer to get my bikes to a centrally located hotel or camp and then switch to my pickup rack. I could then leave the empty trailer at the hotel parking lot or campsite until it's time to make the return trip home.

So far I'm carrying the bikes inside my giant van, but they block access to the toilet and galley, so they have to be LIFO - last in, first out. I'm looking for a hitch rack.

I would love to use a trailer for security & weather protection during transport but some of the remote trailheads I frequent are barely large enough to accommodate a pickup let alone a trailer. In the future, I may consider using a trailer to get my bikes to a centrally located hotel or camp and then switch to my pickup rack. I could then leave the empty trailer at the hotel parking lot or campsite until it's time to make the return trip home.
The Trail of the Coeur d'Alenes in Idaho has really small parking lots. Some a large pickup with camper would have a hard time getting in and out. No motorhomes or trailers. If a lot is level a 4' x 6' trailer can sometime be unhitched and spun around. Too bad they don't come with some kind of a hand brake.

I used shrink wrap once on the control panel on my Rad. I drove to the Wet side of Warshington into the rain. Condensation happened so I took the wrap off. All went well. The bike did not melt, I mean, they are sold in Seattle.

The Gazelle was left outside while camping on a day of cloudbursts. It also was unscathed. In fact, it was quite dirty and needed to be rinsed off. It is manufactured in a wet country so my reasoning is that it will be fine, and it was. These bikes are tougher than we think they are.

Back