Transparency in Advertising: How EBR Runs

I had a few constructive suggestions for things I'd like to see at EBR:
  • When you are traveling, perhaps you should publish a calendar with your travel plans and also try to have some kind of meetup or a "ride with Court" event where EBR members can meet F2F.
  • I'd like to see more shop visits. Even a short 3-minute video featuring a bike shop that sells e-bikes would be great.
  • I'd like to see more videos about people doing cool things with e-bikes.
  • I'd like to see more information about e-bike rentals. There are two benefits to this: the first is that for a lot of people their first introduction to e-bikes will probably be a rental and helping people find e-bike rentals might get more people riding. The other benefit is that for those of us who travel knowing a good rental shop is very helpful.
  • Related to the above, it would be helpful to build some guides about traveling with an e-bike. A video where you chat with someone from Bikeflights (who apparently can now ship class I e-bikes) would be helpful, as well as some guides about taking your e-bike on Greyhound or Amtrak and how to manage that.

I had a few constructive suggestions for things I'd like to see at EBR:
  • When you are traveling, perhaps you should publish a calendar with your travel plans and also try to have some kind of meetup or a "ride with Court" event where EBR members can meet F2F.
  • I'd like to see more shop visits. Even a short 3-minute video featuring a bike shop that sells e-bikes would be great.
  • I'd like to see more videos about people doing cool things with e-bikes.
  • I'd like to see more information about e-bike rentals. There are two benefits to this: the first is that for a lot of people their first introduction to e-bikes will probably be a rental and helping people find e-bike rentals might get more people riding. The other benefit is that for those of us who travel knowing a good rental shop is very helpful.
  • Related to the above, it would be helpful to build some guides about traveling with an e-bike. A video where you chat with someone from Bikeflights (who apparently can now ship class I e-bikes) would be helpful, as well as some guides about taking your e-bike on Greyhound or Amtrak and how to manage that.
Great suggestions, I'll work in more of this! Just finished a big cross-country drive so I've been away from my computer for a bit. It's wonderful to receive all of your feedback (not just from Mr. Coffee) so thanks again guys :)

Outstanding!.. I was only joking about the monthly EBR e-bike give away but I'm thrilled that you're going to try and work it in! :)

Court I think you should also do some "vs" videos, two different brands , motors etc. but the same type of bike(for examle two commuter bikes one with hub other with a mid drive would be a great start, Stromer VS Super commuter VS Quick-e maybe :) ).

I also see that in most of your videos introducing the motor/battery takes a lot of time yet we have only a couple of choices and the same information is repeated. If the motor have any differences, modified specially by the bicycle manufacturer that is great information otherwise maybe you should put a link on your video for your previous reviews.

It would be great to hear how you feel about the ride quality more. Also your opinion on the other components of the bike, overall value compared to similar bicycles would mean a lot.

Keep up the great work.

Last edited:
Thanks @Court , your reviews are what got me to consider my current transportation arrangement (van/electric bike). I REALLY wish I could get a definitive "which folding fat tire do I need to buy" based on having a walking disability, being 6' & 250#... Min wattage? Best quality for least price? I could really use your expertise!

Thanks again,

Jas

Hi guys, the video below is a sincere message to you. My goal is to update you on how EBR runs, how it makes money, and how that influences what you see on the main site and some of the content posted here. With this video and post my aim is to create an open conversation about sponsored content and paid reviews. I used to run more ads on EBR but have switched to a model where companies pay a universal service fee for my work. I want to be transparent about this, just as I'm transparent about the bikes I review. My goal has always been to provide lots of objective information mixed with a bit of my own opinions and insights. I've built comparison tools and kept the comments and forum very open so that other opinions and information can be shared. Please watch and share your thoughts.

When ElectricBikeReview.com launched in 2012, I built the site myself and there were no forums. All of my reviews were done for free and I even paid people on Craigslist to let me review their used models before they got sold. I'd love to be able to do all of this for free, but over time I have run out of personal money to use and I have even hired people to help me. I think it's okay to get paid and make a living... but the question of how was a big struggle because I want this content to be unbiased. My work is not meant to be an advertisement or endorsement, more like a view into what's going on and then a deeper look into specific topics and products. I'm not perfect, but I'm trying my best... so I moved away from posting lots of ads on the site to a universal fee for the in-depth content that I produce. Most of the time, manufacturers pay this fee. Sometimes, shops volunteer to pay the fee because they really want a bike reviewed or a subject covered! I personally enjoy working directly with friends, product managers, and shop owners because they have insights to share. On more than one occasion, I have included a family member or even my girlfriend... because I love them and want to celebrate this positive space and get a fresh or different perspective. My plan is to continue as I always have been, but do so with this service fee being communicated within content.
So are you just a clearing-house for factory second merch or what? I left a review of my new ebike...as long as it was positive the thread was alive. As soon as I mentioned yesterday's catastrophic failure it disappeared. That's far from unbiased. Integrity seems in short supply these days.

So are you just a clearing-house for factory second merch or what? I left a review of my new ebike...as long as it was positive the thread was alive. As soon as I mentioned yesterday's catastrophic failure it disappeared. That's far from unbiased. Integrity seems in short supply these days.

Sometimes there is a delay when you update a post. Any post for that matter. It just disappears. Poof! Then a bit later it's back in the index.

Hello, Do tell. What review / bike etc are you referring to ? There many many negative reviews via various threads within EBR. Perhaps there were
words, phrases etc in the review that violated EBS Policy. Perhaps their were personal attacks, slander etc within the review ? The above post explains
nothing.

The opening sarcastic sentence of this above post leads me to the original review might have been suspect because of the way it was written, not
what it was written about. Do tell.

I wrote a review of the 2020 Ariel M-class. Within a couple hours it was up. I updated it...same thing. To that point the forum never dropped my thread. Every time I logged in, there it was. Like a puppy. It may have had a notice that said it was awaiting review before being made public, but there it was. Then I mentioned the bike failing me pretty awesomely in traffic before I went to bed the other night...same notice. Next morning I have no threads. Little later it's still gone.

Now at this point I've already had my reviews hidden on Ariel's website. I started to wonder and even went so far as to ask. Closed mouths don't get fed and you'll never know unless you ask, right?

Hours later my original review is back. Hours after that a user informed me that sometimes threads go *poof* around here only to reappear. That's new to me, but so is the forum. In future I'll keep that in mind.

Now, I grew up riding bikes and motorcycles. In fact, I've commuted on two-wheels in every form of weather this place can offer. I'm at home in traffic w/out wrapping 2.5 tons of steel around myself first. So I'm not sqeamish or uninformed about what happens when steel meets bone at speed and near misses are nothing new. My first motorcycle was an 83 Yamaha w/more duct-tape than upholstery. It was also how I learned to get around on crutches. My first car was an 85 Bonneville that had been parked under a tree for a year and had a literal rat's nest under the hood. The newest vehicle I've ever driven was 12 years old when I first turned the key. This is the first time I've ever experienced a mechanical failure in less than 7 hours or 70 miles and this is coming from someone used to commuting in and on rolling scrap. My aplogies for holding out higher hopes for the only new set of wheels I've ever owned and being naturally upset at having them dashed. Fortunately, I was unharmed. Fortunately, it was the shift cable. Fortunately, I've gotten it fixed.

Unfortunately, I've lost a great deal of confidence in both the bike and the company and much like time spent in physical therapy that's not something that can be refunded.

All that said: I have yet to violate BNBR

I wrote a review of the 2020 Ariel M-class. Within a couple hours it was up. I updated it...same thing. To that point the forum never dropped my thread. Every time I logged in, there it was. Like a puppy. It may have had a notice that said it was awaiting review before being made public, but there it was. Then I mentioned the bike failing me pretty awesomely in traffic before I went to bed the other night...same notice. Next morning I have no threads. Little later it's still gone.

Now at this point I've already had my reviews hidden on Ariel's website. I started to wonder and even went so far as to ask. Closed mouths don't get fed and you'll never know unless you ask, right?

Hours later my original review is back. Hours after that a user informed me that sometimes threads go *poof* around here only to reappear. That's new to me, but so is the forum. In future I'll keep that in mind.

Now, I grew up riding bikes and motorcycles. In fact, I've commuted on two-wheels in every form of weather this place can offer. I'm at home in traffic w/out wrapping 2.5 tons of steel around myself first. So I'm not sqeamish or uninformed about what happens when steel meets bone at speed and near misses are nothing new. My first motorcycle was an 83 Yamaha w/more duct-tape than upholstery. It was also how I learned to get around on crutches. My first car was an 85 Bonneville that had been parked under a tree for a year and had a literal rat's nest under the hood. The newest vehicle I've ever driven was 12 years old when I first turned the key. This is the first time I've ever experienced a mechanical failure in less than 7 hours or 70 miles and this is coming from someone used to commuting in and on rolling scrap. My aplogies for holding out higher hopes for the only new set of wheels I've ever owned and being naturally upset at having them dashed. Fortunately, I was unharmed. Fortunately, it was the shift cable. Fortunately, I've gotten it fixed.

Unfortunately, I've lost a great deal of confidence in both the bike and the company and much like time spent in physical therapy that's not something that can be refunded.

All that said: I have yet to violate BNBR

First, I must apologize for my prior implication that you might have presented your original review in a sarcastic manor. It's clear to
me that your writing style is well above sarcasm. I would be extremely disappointed as well, if I experienced the failures you have.

I checked out the the Ariel website and my opinion of the listed reviews are a border line scam-ish, meaning 130 total reviews,
107-5 stars / 23-4 stars nothing below that... No way ! I checked another one of their products, 34 - 5 stars nothing else. Come on.

The Chinese to English translation of the website copy is poor at best. It's absolutely clear why Ariel pulled your review. They only
allow 5 star reviews. As for why your review on EBR was pulled, In my opinion you're entitled to an explanation for Andrea M, the
EBR admin. Consider emailing her directly.

First, I must apologize for my prior implication that you might have presented your original review in a sarcastic manor. It's clear to
me that your writing style is well above sarcasm. I would be extremely disappointed as well, if I experienced the failures you have.

I checked out the the Ariel website and my opinion of the listed reviews are a border line scam-ish, meaning 130 total reviews,
107-5 stars / 23-4 stars nothing below that... No way ! I checked another one of their products, 34 - 5 stars nothing else. Come on.

The Chinese to English translation of the website copy is poor at best. It's absolutely clear why Ariel pulled your review. They only
allow 5 star reviews. As for why your review on EBR was pulled, In my opinion you're entitled to an explanation for Andrea M, the
EBR admin. Consider emailing her directly.
Worst case for me is I have to use locally available resources to straighten out the bike. Luckily Tulsa is home to both an aeronautics school and American Airlines maintenance hub...digging up an aircraft mechanic whose literal bread and butter is electromechanical control systems isn't too difficult. I know a couple, myself. All I really need is some sort of end-user diagnostic tool for the Dapu md250/350 and in short order I'll have a well polished piece of gear. Tried contacting them directly...we'll see how intersted they are in breaking into Mid-America.

Integrity seems in short supply these days.
How rude. Every story has a back story. But making an uncalled for judgment because the owner of PRIVATELY OWNED forum (you and I are guests) chooses to keep one-sided commentary out of a review... stinks. Stop trolling and besmirching one of the fellows in the eBike world with the highest levels of integrity.

I pretty much ignored the negative comments. No fun to have a component failure but I wouldn't be deterred from buying this bike because the Shimano Nexus hub shifter cable broke for someone. In fact, out of curiosity because of this negative post I looked into the bike and would consider buying one for my wife if they come up with a similar spec non-fat tire bike with a considerably lower step thru. A 95Nm mid drive with PAS and throttle and a big battery and other features of this bike are enticing.

How rude. Every story has a back story. But making an uncalled for judgment because the owner of PRIVATELY OWNED forum (you and I are guests) chooses to keep one-sided commentary out of a review... stinks. Stop trolling and besmirching one of the fellows in the eBike world with the highest levels of integrity.
Stating the reason for feeling compelled to ask is both being rude and trolling? So if I ask you what value you place on your word I suppose that's some sort of personal attack? If integrity is in short supply generally how are your stocks holding out isn't an inquiry, but an injury?

No coming to a forum and suggesting the owner lacks integrity is rude and trolling. A personal attack and unwarranted.

Apologies for lack of tact. The attempt was to probe, not impugn. I have other replies on this thread that are a bit better fleshed and may explain though not excuse.

Hey guys! I haven't checked this thread for a while, just wanted to let you know that I and we (moderator and technical team) are still doing our best to maintain an open and honest space for people to share their experiences with ebikes. It's a difficult balance sometimes because we do have advertising stakeholders and occasionally a special request to contact a poster or moderate extremely negative feedback if the manufacturer/dealer is handling it offline... each company wants to protect their image, and we don't want to become a forum where people threaten to bash a brand if they don't acquiesce to refund or replace. We also just want to keep things constructive. You hear me express concern or consideration about products during my videos and in my writeups... but my time is often limited and the bikes are brand new. There is a ton of value in sharing how they hold up long-term and how "average joe and jane" consumers are treated. Anyway, it can be a tricky balanced, but I wanted to let you know that I care and am doing my best :)

Back