ToughRoad GX E+

I've got the Rack-It Metro E as well, it seems very solid and mounted easily after dropping the rear wheel. I went with a Two Wheel Gear pannier since I often carry a laptop and rectangular shaped electronics; it was a bit expensive for a single pannier, but the size and full-open zipper is perfectly suited to my needs. I've never been a backpack person, but I've really enjoyed the convertible bag on my commutes.

I may add a trunk bag at some point for small items and cables, but with the easy on-off of the pannier, I haven't seen a need yet.

Attachments

• IMG_20190422_135542__01.jpg
    IMG_20190422_135542__01.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 9
Over a year now and still loving this bike. 2200 km with 800 of those on winter tires.

I bought a body float seatpost, which has been the best upgrade. I wish I got it straight away rather than just this April.

In the dark of winter I needed to upgrade my light and went with Giant Recon 1600. I have a couple kms without street lights and early winter after a fresh snow it was hard to distinguish path from shoulder. This light does the trick. Super bright! I can’t power it off the USB though which I thought was surprising. If giant could figure out a way to easily plug a light into the display and be able to use the thumb control for lights - that’d be great.

And my kid bought me a small bluetooth speaker for my birthday. Another thing to mount in the handlebars lol!

But actually it’s pretty good. Here’s a pic of the current setup. Now I have full room for hands on the tops. I need to replace the grip. It’s electrical tape where I had to cut it back to fit the light the first time.

BBD19585-25A5-4329-B51F-CB1172E99FFA.jpegC6775B46-3524-4D00-9537-0677ED97A1DF.jpeg

Great reports! Has anyone put fenders on this bike? I wonder if there are mounts and space! I live in a wet climate and would need them for sure. Thanks in advance.

I bought the toughroad fenders sold by giant. I wasn't happy that they were gloss black and not flat black to match the bike. I got the front one mounted but there was very little clearance so I just took it off. The downtube is wide enough to prevent any spray above the lower legs so it's okay without. Back one works fine. I wouldn't buy the toughroad ones again though.

I just purchased ToughRoad Fenders for my +E GX. I can tell you not it is not fully compatible. I guess fender is designed for non E Toughroad.
There are holes for mount the wire arms but no holes to mount on frame itself. You can modify the rear to make it work. As for the front fender, it is extremely tight with these big tires and hole on top isn't designed for fender, you'll need to make your own with long screw and a nut or something.

Likely better to look for some universal aftermarket fender.

Also, due to the bottle cage mount hole location I was looking for a cage itself with higher mounting holes but couldn't.
I found a Problem SolversBottle Cage Height Adapter to make my cage lower to allow for taller bottles to fit.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. it is as I had imagined. Making something work is usually the route best taken.

Over a year now and still loving this bike. 2200 km with 800 of those on winter tires.

I bought a body float seatpost, which has been the best upgrade. I wish I got it straight away rather than just this April.

In the dark of winter I needed to upgrade my light and went with Giant Recon 1600. I have a couple kms without street lights and early winter after a fresh snow it was hard to distinguish path from shoulder. This light does the trick. Super bright! I can’t power it off the USB though which I thought was surprising. If giant could figure out a way to easily plug a light into the display and be able to use the thumb control for lights - that’d be great.

And my kid bought me a small bluetooth speaker for my birthday. Another thing to mount in the handlebars lol!

But actually it’s pretty good. Here’s a pic of the current setup. Now I have full room for hands on the tops. I need to replace the grip. It’s electrical tape where I had to cut it back to fit the light the first time.

View attachment 33917View attachment 33918
hi there,

I see you ride your bike in the winter, any tips of how to deal with those road salts? Do you wash your bike often or apply grease on all parts that are subject to rust?

I try and avoid salt as much as I can. My route consists primarily of a paved multiuse path. It's plowed better than the road and never salted. That said, I do ride a bit on the road - a block and a half from my house, crossing streets, and parking lot at work - where there can be slush and salt for a few weeks in fall and spring. I don't really grease anything up as my winter is mostly cold, not wet. I wash my bike (in a heated garage) more when it is wet and slushy. Use a wet chain lube of course but nothing special.

I try and avoid salt as much as I can. My route consists primarily of a paved multiuse path. It's plowed better than the road and never salted. That said, I do ride a bit on the road - a block and a half from my house, crossing streets, and parking lot at work - where there can be slush and salt for a few weeks in fall and spring. I don't really grease anything up as my winter is mostly cold, not wet. I wash my bike (in a heated garage) more when it is wet and slushy. Use a wet chain lube of course but nothing special.

I live in Toronto, and they put a lot of road salt on the road... I applied some rustcheck stuff on the bolts and screws, let's see how that works.

I just can't stand the subway, so i will try to commute with my ebike as much as I can this winter.

not sure if this is the place for my question, but does anyone have a front rack in the TR? I was looking at the somafab port folder version 2, but not sure if it would fit the mounts. Any recommendations?

Just wondering,,,
Would it be possible to convert to a flat bar? Obviously I would need to swap to new shifter, brake set but since this is a e-bike, are there any other components that need to done as well?

XXGG - You can change it to a flat bar, but why would you want to? Giant makes other ebike that already come with a flat bar so perhaps one of those would be a better fit for you?

I am changing my drop bars to a slightly wider 46cm Ritchey Ergomax bar. Two reasons for this because I want wider bars for better handling on single track and gravel. The second is for just overall comfort. I can still keep all existing components. Although I might install a dropper post which I'd control from my left shifter so I'll need to swap that out for another one.

Well...
I already own this bike, and I say I almost never ever use bottom bar. I was considering Jonesbike H-Bar but over all cost to replace other components would cost lot of money.
Than again... my old hardtail mountain bike had mechanical disc brake and I personally never had problem. Only good ting with hydraulic is less effort it takes to brake... (i guess that is until things and spongie I guess)

Last edited:
Question to anyone with 2018 model.

Wondering if you ever had the bikeshop updated your firmware? or had it diagnostic done?
(asking because Ride Control app doesn't support this bike)

I've got a 2018 TR with 3600 trouble free miles on it now. No firmware update that I can recall, though the shop did a diagnostic review of it last summer for a reason I don't recall. The only changes I've made were to add the Metro rear rack (very solid, a good choice) and to replace the 48 tooth chainring with a 42 for better climbing. We have some hills around here and I do a lot more up and down stuff than fast over the flats stuff. That was a very good choice also. While the 2018 was supposed to come with a 42, mine came with the 48 so I was just sort of setting it right.

Really like this bike. The Revolt is nice looking, but given the significantly smaller battery and Class 3 that I don't want, I see no reason to even think about replacing this bike.

XXGG - I too have the 2018 and when I tried to update the software it put the head unit into error mode. Of course I tried this while I was at a coffee shop rest and since I didn't have my battery key with me to remove it I had to do the balance of my ride unassisted. That was "ok" but for the one 11 percent grade climb I still had to do. (that part sucked!)

It says I have a firmware update to install but I can't figure out how to get it to work. I'm with Dave on this one that really if it isn't broke I'm not going to try and fix it.

I don’t know what I did, but my bike seems to be communicating with the app smoothly. I guess I will try it on my next ride. I have ordered the metro rack for my bike. Just waiting for it to come in

You’re gonna like that rack, it mounts very nicely and is rock solid. Have to take the rear wheel off since the mounting screw holes are on the inside of the seat stays.

I don’t know what I did, but my bike seems to be communicating with the app smoothly. I guess I will try it on my next ride. I have ordered the metro rack for my bike. Just waiting for it to come in

Is yours 2018 model? android or ios?

Back