Topfire MD17, Bafang M600 build

jyl087

Region
USA
Hi all,
Thought I'd share my new "dream build". Inspired by positive reviews coming out of Chinese frames (e.g. Dengfu, ICANN), I set out to find a CF frame designed around the M600. I wanted an "all mountain" / enduro geometry: 150mm travel front and rear. I found a brand that I hadn't seen any reviews on called "Topfire". I decided to take the plunge and order a 17" frame, sight unseen. I figured that the frame itself was not a significant percentage of the build price, so even if it was no good, I would have options.

After four agonizing months of wait, the frame was ready sent to me. I chose a custom color, which added a bit of cost and time, but it was worth it. It arrived, well packed, and undamaged in shipping. I set out to build it with a Shimano 12sp drivetrain, 34T chainring, Shimano XT wheels and 4-piston brakes. Suspension wise, it rides on Fox Factory 36" x 150mm front fork and 51mm DPX2 rear shock (150mm wheel travel). Fox dropper completes the build.

So far, I am thrilled by the outcome of this project. The M600 is a bit noisier than the BBSHD, but the PAS on it is much better and more intuitive. Much less "jerking" at low speed, compared to the BBSHD. The battery is a Bafang BT-F04, which is rated at 600 Wh. It has a nominal voltage of 43V, which is a little bit of an oddball number (12S config. I'm still trying to figure this thing out. When fully charged, I read an open voltage of around +54V, which I thought was a 13S configuration. So, I'm a little confused... Anyone else use this battery?

Anyhow, I thought I'd just share to add to the tribal knowledge. I'm just one data point, but my experience with the Topfire frame is great!
1627262383273.png

Nice build! Enjoy!

On the battery... Very odd configuration. I'd double check that you have the correct charger as full charge should be 49. 2V if I'm reading the specs correctly. That said you'd think that the bms would shut it down at the proper voltage.
How are you reading the 54v? Perhaps the display is set to the incorrect voltage? Or some communication error or poorly calibrated.
BT-F04
To be cautious I wouldn't charge above 49v until I got it sorted out. I'd contact the vendor asap for more info.

pretty bike!:):):)

i like the M600 motor
keep us up to date on how it does for you

what size frame is that? and how much was the frame?

Nice build! Enjoy!

On the battery... Very odd configuration. I'd double check that you have the correct charger as full charge should be 49. 2V if I'm reading the specs correctly. That said you'd think that the bms would shut it down at the proper voltage.
How are you reading the 54v? Perhaps the display is set to the incorrect voltage? Or some communication error or poorly calibrated.
BT-F04
To be cautious I wouldn't charge above 49v until I got it sorted out. I'd contact the vendor asap for more info.
I think I'm ok. The battery and charger are both labeled correctly, and the charger states that it puts out 49.2V. Nothing seems to be abnormally hot when charging, so I think it's just some strangeness in my multimeter reading: when I connect it to the battery (standalone, not in the bike), it starts out at 49V and slowly climbs a few volts. Not sure why. I have a BESST that I can hookup to get individual cell data, I think.

I think I'm ok. The battery and charger are both labeled correctly, and the charger states that it puts out 49.2V. Nothing seems to be abnormally hot when charging, so I think it's just some strangeness in my multimeter reading: when I connect it to the battery (standalone, not in the bike), it starts out at 49V and slowly climbs a few volts. Not sure why. I have a BESST that I can hookup to get individual cell data, I think.
Very good then 👍
Overcharging the battery by that amount would be catastrophic 💣🙃
Yes it states that it has a smart bms and utilizing the CANBUS communication protocol. You should be able to get some detailed information on your display. Which display do you have?

Very good then 👍
Overcharging the battery by that amount would be catastrophic 💣🙃
Yes it states that it has a smart bms and utilizing the CANBUS communication protocol. You should be able to get some detailed information on your display. Which display do you have?
I got the DP C240.CAN. I now realize that there is a C241 version with built-in bluetooth, which you can supposedly connect to your phone for more data.

I got the DP C240.CAN. I now realize that there is a C241 version with built-in bluetooth, which you can supposedly connect to your phone for more data.
G'day mate, Nice build! How is it going now you have had it a while? I am considering this frame + M600 combo or the M500. I've heard M600 being quite surgie at startup, have you found this? I've ridden a few ebikes but this would be my first e-bike. Otherwise I have been entirely self propelled and mostly ride MTB parks + local trails, I'm not trying to make a dragster, just want to be able to ride longer + stay fresher.

G'day mate, Nice build! How is it going now you have had it a while? I am considering this frame + M600 combo or the M500. I've heard M600 being quite surgie at startup, have you found this? I've ridden a few ebikes but this would be my first e-bike. Otherwise I have been entirely self propelled and mostly ride MTB parks + local trails, I'm not trying to make a dragster, just want to be able to ride longer + stay fresher.
You might check out: https://vmgbikes.com/typhon/ He is specing the 510 motor which is the newest of the M series. Might be able to get one for cheaper than specing one yourself and he is a decent bloke. I have been in touch with him for awhile on Endless Sphere.

Howdy! No problem at all with the M600; I usually ride on power level 1, and amp it up when I'm riding uphill or in sand. I didn't install a throttle, as I find the PAS to be very smooth and responsive. I've never had a problem with unexpected "surges".
As far as the bike goes: I love it! The frame is great and I've had no problems with it whatsoever. My Fox suspension is buttery smooth and Shimano 1x12 drivetrain is quiet and reliable. I was able to fit a 29x2.4" rear tire, even though the manufacturer spec'd 2.3" max.
I've put hundreds of miles on it and ride it at least once or twice a week. Although the manufacturer specs a max 32T chainring, I put on a 34T, which fits easily. It might even take a 36T although I haven't tried that. With such a powerful motor and a 52T rear cog, I've never had an issue with low-gear power. With a 34T front, it's hard to go much faster than 30 MPH, which depending on your riding style and location, may not be important to you.

How much was the frame+postage and where did you get it?
I have just had a quote from top-fire in china, I am waiting to free up some cash before I do this, but my price for a frame $805usd, M600 motor + BTF04 600wh battery + the wiring kit etc $1250usd + shipping which they haven't confirmed as yet. This was about a week ago (Mid Jan '22). I have found Top-Fire very responsive to my enquiries.

Howdy! No problem at all with the M600; I usually ride on power level 1, and amp it up when I'm riding uphill or in sand. I didn't install a throttle, as I find the PAS to be very smooth and responsive. I've never had a problem with unexpected "surges".
As far as the bike goes: I love it! The frame is great and I've had no problems with it whatsoever. My Fox suspension is buttery smooth and Shimano 1x12 drivetrain is quiet and reliable. I was able to fit a 29x2.4" rear tire, even though the manufacturer spec'd 2.3" max.
I've put hundreds of miles on it and ride it at least once or twice a week. Although the manufacturer specs a max 32T chainring, I put on a 34T, which fits easily. It might even take a 36T although I haven't tried that. With such a powerful motor and a 52T rear cog, I've never had an issue with low-gear power. With a 34T front, it's hard to go much faster than 30 MPH, which depending on your riding style and location, may not be important to you.
Cheers man just what I wanted to hear. I need to remove a few bikes from my garage before I do this, I suspect any I keep will become dust collecters!

Back