tongsheng 500 watt mid drive

Hugh

I just helped a friend install a Tongsheng 500 mid drive motor on his Schwinn 29er. Easy install, it does not have a throttle, instead its a torque sensing unit with 4 levels of power. So you must pedal it. We got it from Roshan at Biktrix located in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada. This is the 2nd kit I've got from him, he's been a real pleasure to deal with. Turns out I did not install the speed sensor properly, it needs to be moved over approx 1/2 ". Other than that the job from start to finish took about 3 hours. It is the start of winter here and the sun sets before 5pm but today was just above freezing so once we finished hooking it up , my friend got a few test runs. Very nice unit, seems seamless in the power delivery. He bought it with a 48 volt battery but it's supposed to be able to handle up 60 volts.

Roshan is the best. I too have a motor from them. Ther3 ar3 some oddities, but with Roshans support you in good shape. The make4 is a bit difficul5 to work with.

Update on my friends Tongsheng. The center mounted display had some issues, when we tried to cycle through the info screens it would freeze, a call to Roshan and he sent the smaller display that mounts by the grips. At first my friend did not care for it, but then he realized given it's smaller size it is a bit more protected in case he falls off and it is more stealthy although thats not a big deal around here. So far everyone who we have spoken to and that includes riders on a local dedicated fat bike trail in a park near here have all said it's nice to see you guys getting out and riding. Anyway the smaller display works great and Roshan was as always great to deal with.

[QUOTE=" The make4 is a bit difficul5 to work with.[/QUOTE]
Hi Tom, Seems I may be installing a TS mid-motor soon. Any advise? What did you mean by 'difficult to work with'?

[QUOTE=" The make4 is a bit difficul5 to work with.
Hi Tom, Seems I may be installing a TS mid-motor soon. Any advise? What did you mean by 'difficult to work with'?

The first version I got was without brake cutouts and throttle. There are different displays and controller for the configurations. I was sent a new display, throttle, brake levers, and controller. At which time nothing would get me into the program function on the display. Another display was sent, still no joy. The only joy was a no charge sample. I found its bit fussy getting installed on my KHS Smoothie. I took some jiggling about to finally get the bracket inlace and bolt installed. I'm also not wild about the motor position...I guess I got what I paid for...I not going to mess with changing back to torque sensing only until spring. I believe the units are better quality that Bafang. But there seems to be teething issues. ES dot COM has some happy users. For my personal use I see no point in a mid drive.

Last edited:
I was under the impression they did not have a throttle at all. I take it I was misinformed! You said you were not going to change back to torque sensing, am I to take it that it is either throttle or torque sensing but not both?

I have recently put together a TS with a 52v controller which bumps it up to 780w peak (52v x 15A). It went together just fine with a little fiddling around but it was my first time doing one. The next would be way faster. Shouldn't take more than 3 hrs. max for an install.

Not problem with the display other than I didn't like the bracket. So I broke it and figured out another way to hold it on there. Was able to access the few things you can do like mph/km, top speed, and a few other things that didn't seem like I needed. Still has a voltmeter battery gauge which on a good day are worthless and this one because of the non stock 52v controller is even more so. Why don't they put ah output on there? Only takes a shunt to do so....

The torque sensing system works just fine for my needs which is primarily as a mtb. Yes there is a throttle, but it is really only useful for standing starts as a way to get going a bit to start pedaling letting the PAS take over, "walking" the bike uphill and maybe for blipping around a switch back. That's the only times I have felt the need for it but I am glad it is there for that alone.

Does hang down a bit but other wise is less obtrusive to the eye than the Bafang series motors. It is pretty tough seeming but I wouldn't want to bash it too hard on a rock.

unnamed.jpg

Overall I am very pleased with how this system works. I still favor a hub motor with no PAS for primarily road use that requires a higher cadence. But there is no doubt that these little mid drives will climb hills when a lower cadence is in use.

Adds 15lb btw with a 52v 10.5ah battery, which now is shared between my primary road bike and this one. Just had to get another cradle.

I was under the impression they did not have a throttle at all. I take it I was misinformed! You said you were not going to change back to torque sensing, am I to take it that it is either throttle or torque sensing but not both?
Sorry,poor review on my part. I believe these are currently best left as torque sensing ONLY.

I have recently put together a TS with a 52v controller which bumps it up to 780w peak (52v x 15A). It went together just fine with a little fiddling around but it was my first time doing one. The next would be way faster. Shouldn't take more than 3 hrs. max for an install.
Watch that battery connection. Make sure the grooves are snug and think about using something like ACF-50.
Screen Shot 2018-01-03 at 2.01.18 PM.png

Got it covered. I use this https:// boeshield.com and have for years for that purpose among others. With the extra protection from the ABS it doesn't get much in that area as it did without it. I make it a point to lock the battery and put the key in my pocket and have never lost the battery in many miles of rough track. I don't use a strap but I am making a neoprene cozy for it.

The Q factor on mid drives is always an issue. The only one that I know of that mimics normal Q factor is the Shimano 8000. The TS I got came with off set cranks which excaberated the width so I picked up some flat ones off a Bafang kit and lost 1 1/4" but am pretty close to the cs on the non drive side. Still about 1" off my optimal Q factor.

Got it covered. I use this https:// boeshield.com and have for years for that purpose among others. With the extra protection from the ABS it doesn't get much in that area as it did without it. I make it a point to lock the battery and put the key in my pocket and have never lost the battery in many miles of rough track. I don't use a strap but I am making a neoprene cozy for it.

The Q factor on mid drives is always an issue. The only one that I know of that mimics normal Q factor is the Shimano 8000. The TS I got came with off set cranks which excaberated the width so I picked up some flat ones off a Bafang kit and lost 1 1/4" but am pretty close to the cs on the non drive side. Still about 1" off my optimal Q factor.
Picned that out there as im seeing quite a few issues. Hailong has new connections. Side note...im amazed that ACF 50and Boeshield arent mor3 commonl6 talked about. Ifind thes3 quite amazing.

Thank you both for your input. I have been in touch with TS and was amazed their pricing is not much lower than their distributors. Where can I find 'Roshan'?

Back