Tires are ruined 2020 Vado 4.0

milehighguy

I went through a crosswalk the other day. The city had been doing striping there and had no cones up for the crosswalk. Needless to say they had been using a flame machine on the stripes before I got there. The asphalt and stripe got on my tires and it's not coming off. The bike wouldn't ride correctly and was making lots of noise from the tires. I went to the place I bought the bike from and it turns out the 700x47 tires that came on the bike are no longer sold by Specialized. They put a 700x45 tire on and asked me to try them out for a few days to see if I liked them. They seem fine so far. More room between the tire and the fender. They are more narrow than the originals. Made by Borough. Do I need to get the original size tire? These aren't quite as good off road as the originals but they aren't bad. Also ... Do I need to have the circumference changed in the mission control app?
Thanks,
Don

Attachments

• 20200723_114852.jpg
    20200723_114852.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 387
  • 20200723_112923.jpg
    20200723_112923.jpg
    390.6 KB · Views: 421
I sure hope you took pictures of the scene and plan to visit city hall. That would have ruined shoes too I would think.

I went through a crosswalk the other day. The city had been doing striping there and had no cones up for the crosswalk. Needless to say they had been using a flame machine on the stripes before I got there. The asphalt and stripe got on my tires and it's not coming off. The bike wouldn't ride correctly and was making lots of noise from the tires. I went to the place I bought the bike from and it turns out the 700x47 tires that came on the bike are no longer sold by Specialized. They put a 700x45 tire on and asked me to try them out for a few days to see if I liked them. They seem fine so far. More room between the tire and the fender. They are more narrow than the originals. Made by Borough. Do I need to get the original size tire? These aren't quite as good off road as the originals but they aren't bad. Also ... Do I need to have the circumference changed in the mission control app?
Thanks,
Don

Circumference is the same... just your width changed by 2mm. No changes needed.

Milehighguy,

Oh No what a mess! Sorry you tires are ruined.

Yes, I agree you should get some sort of compensation for the lack of construction markings.

As far as different tires, I noticed many participants on these forums have used different tires than what was on their original e bike. Schwalbes are a common brand mentioned. I personally am using a 2.25 Schwalbe All Around, mostly because I want a cushy ride and can run these tires as low as 26 lbs. They barely fit within my fenders but so far I really like em.

Not sure in the adjustments for Mission Control. I'm not a stickler for mileage, so if it's close that's fine with me.

I filed a report online with the city. Uploaded photos of the crosswalk with no cones, my ruined tires and the truck that was doing the work. Hopefully they agree to pay. I guess I'll keep the new tires that I'm trying out. I sort of felt the originals were a bit fat. Definitely more space between the tire and the fender now. That's why I felt the circumference would be different.
Thanks.

There is definitely a bigger gap between the tire and the fender. Sure looks like the circumference is different but I understand what you're saying.

Hey Don,

Sorry about that unfortunate event, what a bummer! Yep, Specialized is moving away from the Trigger, in the past they equipped the Vado with the Electrak, perhaps a small change is afoot.

I still have the original Trigger tires I never used from my 5.0 if you want a pair. Send me a message if so.

For the record I'm running a Continental tire I took off a Bulls bike, it's smaller too and I only really ride my bike going to the shop and home which is all on the road. No cause for concern regarding size difference that small.

Thanks,
Don
The attached table published by Cat Eye lists a circumference of 2268mm for the original 700x47 tire vs 2242mm for the new 700x45 tire, just over a 1% change. Hardly worth worrying about but if the dealermis doing work anyway...

Check out the Schwalbe Hurricane tires. There have been several very positive posts.

Attachments

• Tire_size_chart_ENG_151106.pdf
    388.1 KB · Views: 415
Back