Tire & Tube question

I asked non ebikers why they won't put flat proof tires on their expensive road bikes and they say too much weight! Lol. So better to sit on the side of the road and work on a flat than add a few more ounces of tire weight?
well they don't usually get a lot of flats and weight makes regular bike slower. Plus the ties can make a harsher ride.

You carry slime? It won't do you much good unless it's in your tires.
I guess Slime can work as a fix-a-flat remedy after the fact, but you're exactly right. Carry it around inside your tubes and avoid the flats in the first place!

As for the extra weight, yeah, it's a factor if you're competing in the Tour de France on an analog bike, but it would be a very rare ebike rider who could detect any significant difference. I suppose i exaggerate, but not much.

TT

I arranged the slack in my wire harness so I can change a tire or tube without unplugging the motor. Just cut some wire ties & flip the wheel around while the bike is on handlebars & seat. Tell me again how bad messy external wiring looks on diy conversion bikes? How great hidden wiring is?
I wore out the $26 Kenda Smoke knobbies without any flats, ~2500 miles. Tell me again about flat proof tires. Couldn't buy Kenda anymore, out of stock @modernbike.com, so bought Panaracer. Got 3 miles out of that tire before it went flat. Hole in the tube sidewall, couldn't find a mating hazard. Panaracer was a roll up tire, same as those garbage schwinn tires at the grocery store. But cost $40, not $25.
Sometimes Kendas had exposed metal core inside, which I painted with bead sealant. Very long lasting $26 tire, though.
When the new Panaracer flatted on me, I tried to reactivate my old MTB so I could ride it to the bike shop and buy 2 tires locally. Slime in the tubes wouldn't allow me to pump up the tires. No more Slime.
LBS had in stock Giant knobby tires for $26. 60 miles down, so far so good. Oountry of manufacture was same as the Kendas; one known for less lies on the QA reports as some other country.

Last edited:
I arranged the slack in my wire harness so I can change a tire or tube without unplugging the motor. Just cut some wire ties & flip the wheel around while the bike is on handlebars & seat. Tell me again how bad messy external wiring looks on diy conversion bikes? How great hidden wiring is?
I wore out the $26 Kenda Smoke knobbies without any flats, ~2500 miles. Tell me again about flat proof tires. Couldn't buy Kenda anymore, out of stock everywhere, so bought Panaracer. Got 3 miles out of that tire before it went flat. Hole in the tube sidewall, couldn't find a mating hazard.
Sometimes Kendas had exposed metal core, which I painted with bead sealant. Very long lasting $26 tire, though.
When the new Panaracer flatted on me, I tried to reactivate my old MTB so I could ride it to the bike shop and buy 2 tires locally. Slime in the tubes wouldn't allow me to pump up the tires. No more Slime.
LBS had in stock Giant knobby tires for $26. 60 miles down, so far so good.
On the bold, sorry, this is hard to believe.

Nah i didn't do that, to avoid the electrical i just removed the tube and replaced. I suppose that's what i get for trying to cheat lol.
Before you toss out that 5 minute old inner tube, fill your bathtub with cold water, and inspect where it is leaking. Sometimes all the rubber is good and it was a loose schrader valve that wasn't seated properly from the factory.

Likewise, it will also reveal where you may have pinched and punctured it during your install, so you will put more effort into avoiding it again.

Like many have claimed here in your thread, tube replacements is indeed an easy trivial thing after you have done about 200 of them :)

Those Big Ben's are nice. So are the Big Apples and Super Moto X tires. These can be e50 with up to level seven puncture resistance. With tires like this, while using Tuffy liners or similar, I do not carry a patch kit or pump. Saving weight and storage.
The thing about heavier tires: While in rotation heavier tires function as better stabilizing gyroscopes. The rotational mass further serves to store momentum as with a flywheel. Together these factors make for a stable and smooth ride. The only downside being acceleration from a stop.

I guess Slime can work as a fix-a-flat remedy after the fact, but you're exactly right. Carry it around inside your tubes and avoid the flats in the first place!

As for the extra weight, yeah, it's a factor if you're competing in the Tour de France on an analog bike, but it would be a very rare ebike rider who could detect any significant difference. I suppose i exaggerate, but not much.

TTn
Not to mention that the stuff weighs more in your saddle bags than it does in your tires not to mention taking up space.

You carry slime? It won't do you much good unless it's in your tires.
Works good in the tire after you have the flat as well as before if you don't have puncture resisitant tires or liners. My first choice is to just go with a tire that won't leave you and your heavy ebike stranded. I spent less than $100.00 for two Schwalbe Big Bens and my flats ended. That was a year ago. Slime, It's not a long term fix but good for emergency's.

Last edited:
Those Big Ben's are nice. So are the Big Apples and Super Moto X tires. These can be e50 with up to level seven puncture resistance. With tires like this, while using Tuffy liners or similar, I do not carry a patch kit or pump. Saving weight and storage.
The thing about heavier tires: While in rotation heavier tires function as better stabilizing gyroscopes. The rotational mass further serves to store momentum as with a flywheel. Together these factors make for a stable and smooth ride. The only downside being acceleration from a stop.
I get a really good smooth ride with Big Bens and I don't see any speed difference from the stock easy-blow Chinese tires. Puncture resistant tires is the way to go imo. Who cares about an extra lb. when you have a ebike? Why spend alot of time trying to get that back wheel off-no thanks.

Not to mention that the stuff weighs more in your saddle bags than it does in your tires not to mention taking up space.
I carry a small tube of Slime and a small co2 can. No weight at all, and it's just for backup. My two headlights weigh more than the tire repair kit. I don't expect a flat anytime soon on these BigBen's anyway, but you just never know right? For under a 100 bucks for two, it's money very well spent.

Like water.Best place to store water is in your body, best place to store slime is in your tires.
I don't agree with that logic at all. I carry both. I carry a drink and Slime and co2, but I ride a 1000w ebike, that weighs in around 75 lbs with all my gear on it, not some thin tire race bike where even a tiny tail light may slow me down. A little more weight is not a factor, or issue, and I go up a lot of hills. lol-Why put Slime in a tire that has a super liner already in it? If the heavy 3mm liner in my tire fails, I would not trust Slime to save me. It would be due to a complete tire failure and Slime won't fix a major tire split or rupture. Good for small leaks though.

I don't agree with that logic at all. I carry both. I carry a drink and Slime and co2, but I ride a 1000w ebike, that weighs in around 75 lbs with all my gear on it, not some thin tire race bike where even a tiny tail light may slow me down. A little more weight is not a factor, or issue, and I go up a lot of hills. lol-Why put Slime in a tire that has a super liner already in it? If the heavy 3mm liner in my tire fails, I would not trust Slime to save me. It would be due to a complete tire failure and Slime won't fix a major tire split or rupture. Good for small leaks though.
No tire liners needed here in the East, and I ride a 45 lb eBike which seems stupidly heavy already. Putting some slime in the tires reduces the amount of junk I need to carry in the bag. Slime isn't for disasters, it's for normal use.

No tire liners needed here in the East, and I ride a 45 lb eBike which seems stupidly heavy already. Putting some slime in the tires reduces the amount of junk I need to carry in the bag. Slime isn't for disasters, it's for normal use.
Slime IS a tube or tire liner. All ebikes need better puncture risistant tires due to the extra weight of the hub motor over the back tire and just the overall weight of the bike. Stock bike tires are not made to carry that weight and Slime is not going to be the solution to your flat trouble with an ebike. I tried liners in my stock tires as well as Slime and still got flats. Better to just break down and go with the slightly heavier but so much more dependable tires lined with Kevlar and other puncture resitant materials. Cost: under $100.00 for two very dependable, smooth riding tires, Problem solved.

Last edited:
Slime IS a tube or tire liner. All ebikes need better puncture risistant tires due to the extra weight of the hub motor over the back tire and just the overall weight of the bike. Stock bike tires are not made to carry that weight and Slime is not going to be the solution to your flat trouble with an ebike. I tried liners in my stock tires as well as Slime and still got flats. Better to just break down and go with the slightly heavier but so much more dependable tires lined with Kevlar and other puncture resitant materials. Cost: under $100.00 for two very dependable, smooth riding tires, Problem solved.

I purchased my first ebike almost a year ago and just recently got my first flat. I replaced the tube with a fresh new one. I went out for the first time on it 5 mins when i came back to the bike it was deflated again! Could it be the tire itself is junk?

This is the bike
I never use any tools to get the tire back on. I have a big guy who lives a few doors from me. If I’m having trouble I take it to him and the both of us working get it on.

When you get tired of constantly airing up you tires, THEN maybe you'll consider running the Slime in your tubes. Slime is NOT just about sealing a small puncture when/if that happens, it's about sealing the tubes well enough where you can go months between pressure checks!

And the size of you bike has nothing to do with it. I've been using this stuff IN MY TUBES for years - dating back to pre-ebike 700c days - when I got tired of the weekly 10-20 psi losses, no matter what brand/quality of tubes I was using. Stuff works just as well when used in my Ultra Power fatty.....

Back