Dj bikes handlebar

mrfox22

Region
Canada
Hello everyone, I'm from Woodstock ontario. I purchased a DJ bikes mountain bike just recently. I'm having troubles with my handlebars. After a few mins of riding my bars come loose and twist making it super dangerous. I tighten the Allen screws fully and it still twists. Is that one bolt on top of the bars the only thing holding it straight. First pic is of the top when in line with tire.
2nd pic is of it twisted.
Any suggestions on keeping the handle bar from twisting would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 1715472979973813083191.jpg
    1715472979973813083191.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 1715473026211446320927.jpg
    1715473026211446320927.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 23
Make sure that it was this Allen bolt and the one below it that you tightened,..

Screenshot_20240511-204039_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Use a torque wrench if you have one.
The torque specifications should be printed on the stem near the bolts, or in your owners manual.

The top bolt is to adjust the preload on your fork tube bearings and should be adjusted before fully tightening the other two Allen screws.
Too tight and your steering will bind, too loose, and the steering tube will wobble.

Hello everyone, I'm from Woodstock ontario. I purchased a DJ bikes mountain bike just recently. I'm having troubles with my handlebars. After a few mins of riding my bars come loose and twist making it super dangerous. I tighten the Allen screws fully and it still twists. Is that one bolt on top of the bars the only thing holding it straight. First pic is of the top when in line with tire.
2nd pic is of it twisted.
Any suggestions on keeping the handle bar from twisting would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance
Hello,
I'm assuming you purchased your bike on line ? My opinion. Your situation appears very serious. ( Safety wise ) I would take your
bike to a Local Bike Shop, or at least call one to see if they will provide service. For your safety I would see a pro... Assuming
your bike was purchased direct ?? you may have a hard time locating a shop to help.

Typically the Allen screws you 'fully tighten' are snugged to a specific torque stamped on the stem. Normally stamped
next to the Allen screws is something like 5Nm ( Newton Meters ) of torque. This is a tightening guide. None of this matters
because your stem is turning.

Good luck,
John

Hello,
I'm assuming you purchased your bike on line ? My opinion. Your situation appears very serious. ( Safety wise ) I would take your
bike to a Local Bike Shop, or at least call one to see if they will provide service. For your safety I would see a pro... Assuming
your bike was purchased direct ?? you may have a hard time locating a shop to help.

Typically the Allen screws you 'fully tighten' are snugged to a specific torque stamped on the stem. Normally stamped
next to the Allen screws is something like 5Nm ( Newton Meters ) of torque. This is a tightening guide. None of this matters

Good luck,
John
Thanks for the responses. I've contacted one of the local bike shops and asked if they will work on my bike being direct order and properly install my stem and handlebars. Will know tomorrow. Could the stem twisting be from improper installation? Or not being aligned right with the steerer tube?

Could the stem twisting be from improper installation? Or not being aligned right with the steerer tube?

The stem wasn't tight enough when it was installed.
I had to install the stem on my first ebike, so it was up to me to tighten it properly.

The stem was pre-installed on my second ebike, and I just had to mount the handlebars to it.

The stem wasn't tight enough when it was installed.
I had to install the stem on my first ebike, so it was up to me to tighten it properly.

The stem was pre-installed on my second ebike, and I just had to mount the handlebars to it.
Your probably right. My local bike shop is going to take a look at my bike Tuesday. I'm hoping they can fix the issue

Your probably right. My local bike shop is going to take a look at my bike Tuesday. I'm hoping they can fix the issue

You might want to get the shop to go over the bike to make sure everything is properly tightened and adjusted.

Mail order ebikes are notorious for not having things properly set up, tightened, and adjusted.

The shop probably won't want to touch anything electrical (for liability reasons) but they will usually work on the mechanical stuff.

Some shops require that you remove the battery before you bring it to the shop. (That's for liability too.)

You might want to get the shop to go over the bike to make sure everything is properly tightened and adjusted.

Mail order ebikes are notorious for not having things properly set up, tightened, and adjusted.

The shop probably won't want to touch anything electrical (for liability reasons) but they will usually work on the mechanical stuff.

Some shops require that you remove the battery before you bring it to the shop. (That's for liability too.)
Thanks that's good to know about taking the battery out. I will make sure to do that. Everything seems to be ok electronically. I'm just crossing my fingers that it can be resolved If not I did pay for a 2 year of warranty thru the site I purchased it from. If something happens they don't service the bike they say it will be replaced. Hoping they stand behind there warranty if the bike is unrideable.

Hello,

Good luck,
John
Do you know what would cause the stem turning? I did find a shop that will look at my bike on tuesday

Do you know what would cause the stem turning? I did find a shop that will look at my bike on tuesday

It was either not tight enough in the first place, or perhaps the connection point is contaminated with oil or dirt or something allowing it to slip.

They do have special friction paste for steering stems and seat posts that help prevent slipping.

Screenshot_20240512-104640_DuckDuckGo.jpg

If you over tighten the Allen bolts/screws, you can snap the bolt or strip the threads in the steering stem.
(The stem is aluminum alloy and the material is a lot softer than the stainless steel bolt.)

Back